Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cobourg ON
    Posts
    1,021
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

    Default Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    I must say that I am thoroughly impressed at the number of members that are starting to visit KenpoTalk each and every day.

    I just want to send a big thank-you out to all the people that are taking the time to visit regularly and post regularly.

    As for the lurkers.......don't be shy, we have very good zoo-keepers here to keep the cages...err...threads, nice and clean and free of any madcow/dog/horse/cat/sealion/walrus/killer whale/kenpo disease.

    Feel free to ask a question or dig up a long sleeping thread!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    984
    Thanked 337 Times in 234 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    As for the lurkers.......don't be shy, we have very good zoo-keepers here to keep the cages...err...threads, nice and clean and free of any madcow/dog/horse/cat/sealion/walrus/killer whale/kenpo disease.

    Feel free to ask a question or dig up a long sleeping thread!
    Just don't tell them about this one:

    This is My Thread!

    We'll loose them for sure!

    Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cobourg ON
    Posts
    1,021
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    I was trying to keep this thread humour free......thanks, Dan.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    984
    Thanked 337 Times in 234 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    I was trying to keep this thread humour free......thanks, Dan.
    Oh, I.. uh...hadn't noticed. Sorry- I'll go back to my corner, now...

    Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

    Brother John (04-23-2007)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    4,018
    Thanks
    1,163
    Thanked 913 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    I've noticed that the posts tend to go in waves as far as serious threads and more casual ones.

    Sometimes, for awhile, the threads are all about techniques, and forms, etc.

    Other times, the posts are about fluffy things.

    It will come back around. Most of us have other things on our mind, like the 'holidays that shall remain nameless'.

    I agree with you BCB, that it's great to see so many people online and posting.

    --Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/


  7. #6
    Takai's Avatar
    Takai is offline
    KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Roseburg, OR
    Posts
    855
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 160 Times in 100 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    Absolutely. More people, more insight. We all come from such varied levels of experience that it makes for a varied set of discussions. Keep posting people.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

    "When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    984
    Thanked 337 Times in 234 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Other times, the posts are about fluffy things.
    I am not being fluffy!
    Most of us have other things on our mind, like the 'holidays that shall remain nameless'.
    Name 'em, babe! Don't hide your light!

    Viva Christmas and Chanuka! And Thanksgiving, if you want to extend the season. The rest... you don't want to know.

    Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

  9. #8
    SifuDangeRuss is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Soggy Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    602
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 152 Times in 78 Posts

    Smile Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    I was trying to keep this thread humour free......thanks, Dan.
    Did you too, have your funny bone surgically removed? Is this a fad, like botox now?

    I joke, but I am also serious, as I have been chastised for "joking around too much" recently.

    Is everyone else so incredibly happy that you don't find the need to smile, just once more in the course of your day? Or since we're big, tough kenpo dudes/dudettes, are we supposed to take ourselves serious 24/7?

    Personally, I've yet to become offended at anyone's frippery. Slipping in an unexpected smile, between training ideas, martial experiences and comparisons of methods and approaches, simply adds texture to folk and makes this place a more enjoyable place to spend time. The more relaxed and comfortable the learning environment, the more time people will spend here. Laughter lowers ones resistance to different perspectives and ways of viewing things. It also aids in the bonding process. It allows us to see others, as not being so truly different as we initially suspect. It provides a commen ground, where Tracy, EPAK, CHA-3, Kara-Ho, Kajukenbo and even those irreverent Sam Pai creeps can all step down off of our "My Kenpo's better than your Kenpo" podium and share a smile. Once you realize that we're really not so different from one another, then we can begin to share more serious ideas. I'm a lot more likely to be able to identify with someone whom I know understands the social significance of "Ask a Ninja" and want to hang out and exchange secret Sam Pai Rituals at midnight.

    So Dan, Shawn, Amy, Sigung86, Martin, and my alltime favorite author of the "Dude ! You're gettin' a DELL" comment, Carrol, et al.....thank you, for not always taking yourselves too seriously and makin' me smile. This Whoopie Cushion's for you guys! Oft times the world is far too serious and I for one, appreciate someone making the effort to make me smile. It's like the spoon full of sugar, that helps the medicine go down.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

    [SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

    I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

    http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    Indeed, all ranks and backgrounds are welcome! So stop lurking and contribute!!! I want to pick your brains.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cobourg ON
    Posts
    1,021
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    Quote Originally Posted by SifuDangeRuss View Post
    Did you too, have your funny bone surgically removed? Is this a fad, like botox now?

    I joke, but I am also serious, as I have been chastised for "joking around too much" recently.

    Is everyone else so incredibly happy that you don't find the need to smile, just once more in the course of your day? Or since we're big, tough kenpo dudes/dudettes, are we supposed to take ourselves serious 24/7?

    Personally, I've yet to become offended at anyone's frippery. Slipping in an unexpected smile, between training ideas, martial experiences and comparisons of methods and approaches, simply adds texture to folk and makes this place a more enjoyable place to spend time. The more relaxed and comfortable the learning environment, the more time people will spend here. Laughter lowers ones resistance to different perspectives and ways of viewing things. It also aids in the bonding process. It allows us to see others, as not being so truly different as we initially suspect. It provides a commen ground, where Tracy, EPAK, CHA-3, Kara-Ho, Kajukenbo and even those irreverent Sam Pai creeps can all step down off of our "My Kenpo's better than your Kenpo" podium and share a smile. Once you realize that we're really not so different from one another, then we can begin to share more serious ideas. I'm a lot more likely to be able to identify with someone whom I know understands the social significance of "Ask a Ninja" and want to hang out and exchange secret Sam Pai Rituals at midnight.

    So Dan, Shawn, Amy, Sigung86, Martin, and my alltime favorite author of the "Dude ! You're gettin' a DELL" comment, Carrol, et al.....thank you, for not always taking yourselves too seriously and makin' me smile. This Whoopie Cushion's for you guys! Oft times the world is far too serious and I for one, appreciate someone making the effort to make me smile. It's like the spoon full of sugar, that helps the medicine go down.
    to answer your question......yes
    or is it no?
    I really dont know anymore.
    Post and be merry!!

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    984
    Thanked 337 Times in 234 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    Quote Originally Posted by SifuDangeRuss View Post
    Did you too, have your funny bone surgically removed? Is this a fad, like botox now?
    Hey, SDR! I think he was jabbing at me a little bit- which I can't complain about since I've poked him pretty good in another thread! 'Tis all in good fun!

    Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cobourg ON
    Posts
    1,021
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    Hey, SDR! I think he was jabbing at me a little bit- which I can't complain about since I've poked him pretty good in another thread! 'Tis all in good fun!

    Dan C
    I happen to have a pretty nasty bruise there.......I might need hospitalization.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    984
    Thanked 337 Times in 234 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    I happen to have a pretty nasty bruise there.......I might need hospitalization.
    Talk to Nurse Amy. She's pretty good with injuries to ribs, toes, egoes, and the like!

    Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego area
    Posts
    1,024
    Thanks
    876
    Thanked 501 Times in 283 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    Now more than ever it is important to share ideas and experiences. The root of most of our systems came from individuals who talked, trained, and observed each other. Look at Kajukenbo for example, individuals from DIFFERENT styles getting together to share ideas and techniques. The result is an incredible style with a rich and ecclectic background!

    We can learn much from our predecessors! Professor Chow trained with/for Mitose, he was a regular "observer" at henry Okazaki's dojo also. Ed parker had evolved in several phases and coveed a LOT of ground along the way.

    The first step is always dialogue- The modern day equivalent of visiting a MA school and watching a class or talking to the instructor is loging in right here- To our "Cyber Dojo", every visitor has access to thousands of years of (cumulative) experience from it's members.

    I have personally decided that I will use this forum as a training tool! I read, I ask a question, then I read some more...While it is quite possible that I should spend more time training rather than sitting in an on-line chat room/ board, I believe there is a HUGE value to reading, posting, and searching on Kenpotalk!

    My favorite is finding an old topic and resurrecting it (BUMP) for any new folks that have dropped in. If nothing else, read Dangeruss's post above- One of the best I have seen in awhile!

    James
    The above is just my opinion.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    I've noticed that the posts tend to go in waves as far as serious threads and more casual ones.

    Sometimes, for awhile, the threads are all about techniques, and forms, etc.

    Other times, the posts are about fluffy things.

    It will come back around. Most of us have other things on our mind, like the 'holidays that shall remain nameless'.

    I agree with you BCB, that it's great to see so many people online and posting.

    --Amy
    Could it be because they cannot figure out the organization?

    I've been here 3 1/2 months and I had to have Amy, Rob, Bob and Celtic tell me how to do certain funtions and how to find certain areas.

    of course I am not trained in computors, so that is probably a "mature adult" thing?

    Doc John

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

    Brother John (04-23-2007)

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    2,467
    Thanks
    2,019
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

    Default Re: Visitor's to KenpoTalk

    Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    I've been here 3 1/2 months and I had to have Amy, Rob, Bob and Celtic tell me how to do certain funtions and how to find certain areas.

    of course I am not trained in computors, so that is probably a "mature adult" thing?

    Doc John
    I Love it!
    My parents call it the "Seasoned Citizen's" ailment....
    not having 'grown up' with computers, they're doing well to understand "point and click mah....just point and click..." from their son on the phone. (me)

    Agreed. It's GOOD to see all the participation from the HIGH ranks to the low, from the "Elder Dragons" to the young whelps like myself.

    As for "HUMOR" inserted w/in posts...
    GO FOR IT......w/in bounds. Use good taste please, as best you can. Also: Try to not let your humorous efforts divert a thread. Thread drift is tricky!! I Over the course of my experiences on this forum and the several others yall may have seen me participating in....you should know that it's been a problem of mine! That's why I can spot it now, because I'm so darn familiar with it!! It's not easy, but if you work to be self aware and detect when you're side-note starts to 'side-track' the thread from the original posters intent.....work out of it. Bringing the funny into a thread is GREAT. We often get TOO serious and need some levity!!!!!! But not too much. If side-tracking humor comes too often and/or from the same people repeatedly, it gets harder and harder to ignore and tolerance runs thin.

    sorry....taking too many words to say: I like your humor, KEEP IT. Just work to see that it doesn't side-track I guess.



    I hope everyone continues to find KenpoTalk a friendly place, conducive to deepening or enriching your own personal Kenpo journey. I'm really getting back into it! Love to see it keep growing.

    Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. KenpoTalk Community Rules
    By Bob Hubbard in forum Help Desk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 10:09 PM
  2. KenpoTalk News: July 2006
    By Bob Hubbard in forum Site News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
  3. Hosted Forum Terms of Service and Terms of Use
    By Bob Hubbard in forum Hosted Forum Support Area
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 03:12 PM
  4. KenpoTalk - Year 1 - What a Rush!
    By Bob Hubbard in forum Site News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-13-2006, 02:49 PM