Thread: Moving

Thanks

Default Moving

after much anticipation and buildup, my family and I moved into our palatial new digs.
    Moving is supposed to be such an exciting new chapter in a families life, so why does it create such chaos?
    It was sad to leave the old house.......with all of it's smallness and things we didn't like and couldn't wait to leave behind, except for the memories......
    the lines I put on the door jamb as my oldest stood by anxiously awaiting the results of her latest growth spurt.
    The scratches in the hardwood floor from rearranging furniture to accomodate 2 new little girls born 3 years apart.
    the tiny dirty handprints that I couldnt quite scrub hard enough to get off.
    The tree in the backyard that my oldest fell from, that I threatened to cut down should she climb it again.
    The kitchen, where we spent many happy evenings around the dinner table (and a few miserable one's too).
    There sure were a lot of great things that happened there that sort of slip from memory as you gear up to make the leap into something bigger and better.
    It isn't until you start packing up the things you've accumulated that the memories come flooding back and you find yourself taking a moment.
    I think part of the chaos thing stems from the fact that you really leave a part of yourself behind in those 4 walls and leaving it behind can be sad enough to make you a bit irritable, I also found myself thinking about someone else living in my house laying their experiences on top of mine and those that came before me.
    I sometimes wish I could pack up the fingerprints and scratches, scraped knees and bandaged boo-boos, christmas mornings and birthdays, but I do have them bundled tightly in my mind.
    2 of my kids will hardly remember that house in 10 years and 1 wont remember it at all.........but my wife and I will share all the memories over and over again.
    So, now we have spent a week in our new place and my wife says the fear of being here is starting to wear off. The new memories are now being forged in our minds from our seemingly mundane day to day. The excitement for the new house is coming back strong, and each day that passes makes it seem a bit more like home.
    My middle child has her own room, out from under the protective wing of mommy and daddy's nest and spent her entire first night alone without so much as a single peep.
    Our first christmas will creep up fast (as it does every year) and we'll see smiling faces as they collect their stockings from the mantle (yes, I now have a mantle!).
    Soon we'll have new scratches in the floor, fingerprints on the walls, scrapes that need bandages, birthdays and christmas mornings; and looking back, all that change is worth every penny.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Moving

Congrats on the new house.

It is very tough to leave a house you have been in a long time.
    More Shugyo!

Thanks

Gratz man, been there a few times and I appreciate it even more now that I am divorced living in a condo again instead of my old house.

Enjoy it!!!!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    I sometimes wish I could pack up the fingerprints and scratches, scraped knees and bandaged boo-boos, christmas mornings and birthdays, but I do have them bundled tightly in my mind.
    2 of my kids will hardly remember that house in 10 years and 1 wont remember it at all.........but my wife and I will share all the memories over and over again.

Congrats on the new house. Yes moving is always chaotic and stressful but you have your family to help you through.

As for the memories well they will always be with you no matter where you call home. And as you said you will make many more as the years pass in the new house.

And you would be surprised what kids remember even from a very young age
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Congrats! Just did this myself last month! My heart goes out to you. LOL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Congrats!
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

congrats! buying my second home and moving was more difficult then fighting about who to sit at what table at my wedding!
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    Gratz man, been there a few times and I appreciate it even more now that I am divorced living in a condo again instead of my old house.

Enjoy it!!!!
    I feel for you, Martin.
    this is my 2nd go round with a new girl. Even after our short time together (almost 5 years) her and I have accomplished so much.
    Good Luck, my friend!

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Congratulations! Home is where the heart is.

Thanks

That is truely the sweetest posts on moving that I have ever read. Things will be great for you and your family in your new place.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I can understand that trepidation. My wife and I have been discussing moving as of late. We both know that it is time but, I (more than her) seem to be having a hard time about letting go of "our" house. My daughter took her first steps in the house and my son is going to any day now and I think about all the memories that we have in this place. Yes, the handprints on the walls, the permanent marker that needs to be painted over and I guess that I get a little to sentimental. My wife is used to moving around I on the other hand still live within thirty miles of where I was born. I guess that I just have to not only accept it but embrace it as well.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links