Thread: opinions on this external Hard Drive

Thanks

Default opinions on this external Hard Drive

Well I know we have some very technical IT people that check this place out. I wanted to get your opinions on this external Hard Drive. Proís Conís what do you think of Seagate brand.

Hereís a link to outpost.com
    http://shop2.outpost.com/product/401...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I like the fact that I can stack these, I also think 200GB will cover me for now but Mp3ís, pictures and video clips take up a lot of room.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

Default Re: opinions on this external Hard Drive

looks good but check newegg.com for a better price.

I know terrabyte hard drives are out now so 200 MB may not be what you need in the very near future.

also if it connects via USB 2.0 make sure you have that on your PC as well, if not you can buy a PCI USB 2.0 card at any computer store. You will notice a big difference in transfer rates.

peace,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by florida_kenpo View Post
    looks good but check newegg.com for a better price.

I know terrabyte hard drives are out now so 200 MB may not be what you need in the very near future.

also if it connects via USB 2.0 make sure you have that on your PC as well, if not you can buy a PCI USB 2.0 card at any computer store. You will notice a big difference in transfer rates.

peace,
    Terabyte what is that a 1000 GB drive?

I checked new egg but they a few different kinds of drives and the prices were comparable to Fryís / outpost and I can pick up the drive at fryís and not have to pay for shipping.

The main problem I have had with my dell and the reason I want a back up HD. This happened twice I would lose all CD/DVD drives I tried reinstalling drivers from my flash/ jump drive but they would not take. So I restored the system to a month before, and some things were gone that I wanted to save in he first place. So I had to bring it back and had no CD/ DVD drives. I ended up backing up what I could 512 Megs at a time with my jump drive but miss a few things. Then reinstalled Windows XP and told it clean install donít save old files. I missed backing up a few things, like my wifeís resume and she is not real happy with me right now. So my thoughts are if I get a back up HD and just store things I want to save if I ever have to F disk C drive I wonít lose anything important and all my drivers will be in place on the back up drive. And I wonít use 20 DVDís that get lost misplaced or wrote over with something else.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi View Post
    Terabyte what is that a 1000 GB drive?

I checked new egg but they a few different kinds of drives and the prices were comparable to Fryís / outpost and I can pick up the drive at fryís and not have to pay for shipping.

The main problem I have had with my dell and the reason I want a back up HD. This happened twice I would lose all CD/DVD drives I tried reinstalling drivers from my flash/ jump drive but they would not take. So I restored the system to a month before, and some things were gone that I wanted to save in he first place. So I had to bring it back and had no CD/ DVD drives. I ended up backing up what I could 512 Megs at a time with my jump drive but miss a few things. Then reinstalled Windows XP and told it clean install donít save old files. I missed backing up a few things, like my wifeís resume and she is not real happy with me right now. So my thoughts are if I get a back up HD and just store things I want to save if I ever have to F disk C drive I wonít lose anything important and all my drivers will be in place on the back up drive. And I wonít use 20 DVDís that get lost misplaced or wrote over with something else.

Sounds like a controller problem ... IDE maybe not working on the MB.

a back up drive is a good idea ... OR you can partition your main drive and store important data on the partition ... then if you fdisk the drive your partition and data is safe. just an option.

TB = 1000 GB yup

that drive isnt bad just stay away from 2 MB buffers and 5400 RPM both are older and slower technology.

Let me know how it works out.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Thanks for the info; I seem to know just enough to get me in trouble sometimes LOL. Some one here or maybe it was over at MT told me I have SATA drives? Itís not the normal IDE hook up itís some kind of small plug in on the back of the HD.

I tried Partition magic program when I first got my first Dell computer. This is embarrassing but I had my first computer a week, installed PM and started killing partitions and creating new small partitions. Well come to find out Dell I guess stores system files on one of the partitions I blew away. I called tech support and after talking to 20 people in Iraq or where ever they are they sent me a new computer and I have stayed away from Partition Magic ever since.

Thanks

serial ata drives are great.

I always partition from DOS prior to installs (im old school what can i say)

PM should work fine but ya never know.

GL my friend.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I just read a comaprison in a computer magazine saying that no external hard drives work near as well as an internal drive.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

I would imagine that to be true

SATA or IDE should be faster than USB 2.0 or even Firewire.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Wink Re: opinions on this external Hard Drive

When did we get a "GreeK" section? I don't understand a word, LOL!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    I was trying to be good, but, since you said it:

HERE-HERE!!!

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Interestingly, Ed Parker, Sr. was interested in computers. A man of far-reaching vision in many ways. Ed Parker currently does all kinds of computer oriented art work (read graphics). As a matter of fact, Ed is the one who nudged me around to the point that I am going to be dumping this Gateway POS and going to a Mac Mini, in order to put all the tape I have onto useful DVDs.

Thanks

Is your Gateway really old? I still have a Gateway P2 350 that still runs to this day, no front or side covers but it still runs. Itís like a Timex.

Now am thinking about building another computer and giving my kids my Dell. I am just more than a little confused with all the new motherboards and the new duel core processors. Whatís compatible with what????????????? I guess I will just have to do some more research.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post

Balance my brother
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Looks like a decent selection. You can probably find better deals on bigger/faster drives but if it fits your needs and you need it now, that may be the right choice.

Internal will almost always be faster than external although external allows you (usually)to move the drive around from computer to computer.

SATA > IDE but you'll most likely need a SATA controller if your computer did not come with SATA drives although some manufacturers just put the cheaper IDE drives in to save you money and your motherboard may already have a couple SATA ports on it. Check your manual.

You may consider buying an internal RAID controller with a second internal instead of just a second drive. These have become very popular, are easy to use and understand and install is a snap. It will allow you to configure the second drive as a mirror of your current drive so in the event it fails, it will simply pickup and run until you can replace the failed one. It does not give you anymore disk space this way but a definite piece of mind that things are automatically safe.

Good luck!
    Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links