Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Quit Smoking

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Trying to Quit Smoking

Has anyone here quiet or tryed quieting smoking...
    What did you try and how well did it work for you's.
    All information will be very helpful about this subject,
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

Thanks

Default Re: Trying to Quiet Smoking

I have never smoked before but my father-in-law had lazer surgery done (don't know much about the details but I could ask him if you would like) about 2 months ago and hasn't had a cigarette since.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Good luck...you CAN do it!

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I smoke a pipe not everyday, and of course you know that you don't inhale a pipe.
    but i can't tell you how to quit smoking,i guess it's like the martial arts, once you start it you have to have the willpower to keep up with it
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpo0324
    I smoked cigarrettes for about a decade before I quit. Both of my parents continue to smoke, and my mother-in-law just died from cancer last year.

There is only one way to stop. Don't light another one and put it in your mouth, period. The patch didn't work for me, counciling didn't work for me. and gum didn't work for me.

I'm sorry that I'm unable to provide you with an easy way out. Quitting is hard. Really hard. The only thing I can tell you is that it gets easier to quit after stopping for a month.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

All I have to offer you is my support. I know its possible, my sister quit, and has been smoke free for 3 years now.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Trying to Quit Smoking

Although I grew up around smokers and my parents discouraged me from doing it, I was a rebellious teenager and smoked for a decade (from age 18-28). Fortunately for me, at 28 I decided to get off my butt and enroll in a MA school (which happened to be Kenpo) to learn self-defense & get some exercise; I was the heaviest I'd ever been in my life at that point & smoked a pack a day. About a month and 1/2 after I enrolled, I attended my first "Kenpo Camp" as a White belt. No one told me that smoking wasn't allowed, so I had to quit "cold turkey" (Oy!) It was the longest weekend of my life,* but it turned out to be one of the best, because: 1) Someone finally forced me to quit, and 2) I fell in love with Kenpo and knew that the Art would always be a part of my life. I am four sizes smaller than I was back then, and will have been nicotine-free for 7 years this May 15th. Thanks to my Kenpo family for their support during that time & especially to Sibok Tom Kelly for hosting that camp!

For anyone who wants to quit, I would not recommend "Cold Turkey" because it's very hard on your body; I had to quit that way because of my particular situation. I would suggest trying all the resources out there first (the patch, nicotine gum, prescription medication, support group, etc). Then, if those don't work, Cold Turkey as a last resort. As Mr. Lear & others have said, it's not easy. However, the benefits of quitting are well known, so it's never too late; for example, through prescription medication & support from his family, the father of one of my coworkers quit last year after smoking for 30 yrs!

In my experience, the first two weeks are the toughest, but if you can make it through a month you're "Home Free." Good Luck to you, & please let us know how it's going.

__________________________________________________ __________________________
    *Anyone who has been to a Kenpo "Spirit" Camp (especially in the LaBounty/Kelly lineage) will know what I mean by 'the longest weekend'
    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

rmcpeek Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Lear
    I smoked cigarrettes for about a decade before I quit. Both of my parents continue to smoke, and my mother-in-law just died from cancer last year.

There is only one way to stop. Don't light another one and put it in your mouth, period. The patch didn't work for me, counciling didn't work for me. and gum didn't work for me.

I'm sorry that I'm unable to provide you with an easy way out. Quitting is hard. Really hard. The only thing I can tell you is that it gets easier to quit after stopping for a month.

Absolutely Right Bill!!! None of these worked for me when I was quitting as well. It's really just a matter of willpower. Period. Make yourself not Smoke. Don't buy them, don't borrow them, don't steal them. Heh. Stay away from them. The toughest part for me was not going to places where my friends smoked, houses, bars, etc.

You just have to make up your mind and NEVER light another one, no matter what. I know, easier said than done, but's that the best advice I have.

Rich

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

First off, congrats on making the choice to quit.

I smoked for 7 years and have been cig free for almost a year. I had quit one time prior for a duration of about six months.

The first time I went cold turkey. I will not kid you - it was probably the second hardest thing that I've had to do in my life. Almost a week went by that I could not focus/felt like crying/would have ripped out my own hair to have a cig. After the first week, things got a bit better. By the time a month went by I was okay most of the time but still had moments of intense cravings. After about six months, I started smoking again (for a stupid reason).

Which brings me to the HARDEST thing I've ever had to do. That is, quit AGAIN. The second time I thought I'd be slick and try the gum for a gradual reduction of nicotine.

Let me dispel the myth: As someone who as tried both ways, nicotine replacement (gum/patches) is NOT easier than going cold turkey.

Switching to the gum, initially at least, was easy. For me, the actual habit of smoking was easily beaten. The nicotine addiction was not. Using the gum really will just drag out the length of time that you are miserable. You are still dependant on the drug, you are still taking it, but not as much as you need to satisfy the cravings. What does this mean? Rather than a really rough week, you pretty much feel like hell the whole time you are on the gum and you STILL have to pay the piper (deal with complete withdrawal) when you actually stop taking it.

My advice to you - go cold turkey. If you slip up - its okay. Just get right back to it. I wish ya the best of luck.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I used the patch, successfully. I beleive in the patch. The gum sucks. When I tried to go cold turkey, I realized how much I was hooked on the drug, nicotene. Cold sweat, dizzy, emotional. With the patch you will still have the discomfort, but it will be smaller "steps". The problem is that after a couple of months you start feeling so damm healthy, you tend to forget how nasty cigerattes are!

mekosho Guest

Gin Gin said: Although I grew up around smokers and my parents discouraged me from doing it, I was a rebellious teenager and smoked for a decade (from age 18-28). Fortunately for me, at 28 I decided to get off my butt and enroll in a MA school (which happened to be Kenpo) to learn self-defense & get some exercise; I was the heaviest I'd ever been in my life at that point & smoked a pack a day. About a month and 1/2 after I enrolled, I attended my first "Kenpo Camp" as a White belt. No one told me that smoking wasn't allowed, so I had to quit "cold turkey" (Oy!) It was the longest weekend of my life,* but it turned out to be one of the best, because: 1) Someone finally forced me to quit, and 2) I fell in love with Kenpo and knew that the Art would always be a part of my life.Very similar for the way I quit, smoked my last cigerette one late evening, figuring I would go to the store the next morning to buy more. Was my day off, and I had slept in due to a vigorous class the evening prior, woke up late, and just never went to the store for cigerettes again...no withdrawls, no sweat, nothing, smoked since I was a teenager, stopped at 36, smoke free for 2 and a half years...
    ummm, went UP 3 sizes, lol, but, at least I can breath!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: Trying to Quiet Smoking

Hi Ken,
    Just wanted to follow up & see how you're doing--what did you decide to do?
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gin-Gin2
    Hi Ken,
    Just wanted to follow up & see how you're doing--what did you decide to do?
    I'm going to try a program in my area called X-Smokers September 19 or Oct 1
    I hope it works, Because I want to Stop this habit and Thank-you Gin-Gin2 for asking how I"m doing...
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Trying to Quiet Smoking

I'm going to try a program in my area called X-Smokers September 19 or Oct 1
    I hope it works, Because I want to Stop this habit and Thank-you Gin-Gin2 for asking how I"m doing...
    Good Luck Ken, & please let us know how it goes--
    YOU CAN DO IT!!

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gin-Gin2
    Good Luck Ken, & please let us know how it goes--

YOU CAN DO IT!!
    Thank-you Very much for your kind words and support..
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

I smoked formany years. in the morning my tounge felt like a piece of over burnt Bacon and had almost lost all taste. I tried several times with no success but finally made up my mind to do it. I did however carry cigarettes with me through the whole time and knew that I could have one any time. Before when I didn't carry them i would find an excuse to bum one from anyone i could. The last time was successful and has been for over 50 years. Feel a lot better and no more cigarette burns all over everything. The place smells a lot better too.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

Quit 5 years ago. Charms Blow Pops!!!!!
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HKphooey For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (04-20-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

To quote the Very quotable Samuel Clemens:
    "I don't know why there's all this fuss about quitting smoking. It's the Easiest thing in the world to do, I've done it a Hundred times!"
    I knew a man who smoked from the age of 15 - 46, at 46 he came to our school and started training regularly. He stopped smoking COLD, and never picked it up again!!!!!!!
    If for nothing else, my hats off to him for it.

I've heard that hypnosis works well.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kenpo0324 View Post
    One simple way is with the use of self-hypnosis.
    Program for 30 days to have yourself be a healthy person.

It normally takes 21-30 days of subconscious programing that you want instead of the habit that you have. So do the programing with a date on it.

See youself doing healthy behavior. Hear people say neat things about you that you appreciate about yourself. Feel good because you've accomplished something great for your body.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Default Re: Trying to Quiet Smoking Part II

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    One simple way is with the use of self-hypnosis.
    Program for 30 days to have yourself be a healthy person.

It normally takes 21-30 days of subconscious programing that you want instead of the habit that you have. So do the programing with a date on it.

See youself doing healthy behavior. Hear people say neat things about you that you appreciate about yourself. Feel good because you've accomplished something great for your body.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    PART II.

Now sometimes a person does not have the will power to evendo the self hypnosis.

It is almost NEVER will power, but a psychological Reversal that stops them from adapting new and healthier habits.

You can easily fix the PR with a energy psychology intervention which takes about an hour to learn, but once learned about 3-10 minutes to do after you've learned it. Go to emofree.com and down load their free manual for that.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HKphooey View Post
    Quit 5 years ago. Charms Blow Pops!!!!!
    Yep.
    I started smoking in 1949.
    I stopped smoking (the last time) in 1973.
    Really weird how you do what those around you are doing.
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links