Thread: My first thread

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Default My first thread

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but here goes. It seems that most of the posts I see are submitted by high ranking Kenoists. Is it just me or is it intimidating to post your thoughts on Kenpo related threads when you are just a beginner? I seriously value all your thoughts, but I guess I just feel like I don't "rank" (I know bad pun ).

With Great Respect

John

Thanks

Default Re: My first thread

Quote Originally Posted by crane557
    I don't know if I'm alone in this, but here goes. It seems that most of the posts I see are submitted by high ranking Kenoists. Is it just me or is it intimidating to post your thoughts on Kenpo related threads when you are just a beginner? I seriously value all your thoughts, but I guess I just feel like I don't "rank" (I know bad pun ).

With Great Respect
    John
    Hi John,

I know what you mean, but almost everyone on this forum is out to help teach and to learn. I throw out stuff all the time to get people's ideas on things. Everybody is interested in helping, so go ahead and throw stuff out. Nobody will make fun of you. The only one we make fun of is Crippler (hee hee), but we don't make fun of his kenpo knowledge; just the rest of the stuff.

I'm kidding of course. We love Crippler.

We're all beginners. I have questions all the time and when I hear some of the answers, I say 'D'oh!' because I know I should've thought of it.

Move offline? Duh. Never would've thought of that!

So, share you thoughts and ideas. This is a safe place to learn.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Thanks I will!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Smile

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but here goes. It seems that most of the posts I see are submitted by high ranking Kenoists. Is it just me or is it intimidating to post your thoughts on Kenpo related threads when you are just a beginner?
    Yup.

You certainly are not alone. It's difficult to pose a question or express an opinion when you know that 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th degrees, and a few direct students of Ed Parker, may read it. Can't tell you how many times I've felt like an idiot for posting something. Communicating on the topic of Kenpo isn't exactly my strong suit.

I think some of it has to do with the fact that we are addressing some professional martial arts instructors. This is what they do for a living. They take it very seriously, and they're very good at it. So, yeah, it can be intimidating.

Most of the people here don't show overt hostility to anyone, which is appreciated. If you are looking for informed opinions about Kenpo or your perspective of Kenpo, you've come to the right place.

I look forward to reading some more of your opinions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Crane

Just remember we all started in the same place, and many, many, many of the most valuble lessons came from the observing the actions of beginners. Relax, and enjoy KenpoTalk, we are all lookong forward to your posts.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoEMT
    Yup.

You certainly are not alone. It's difficult to pose a question or express an opinion when you know that 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th degrees, and a few direct students of Ed Parker, may read it. Can't tell you how many times I've felt like an idiot for posting something. Communicating on the topic of Kenpo isn't exactly my strong suit.

I think some of it has to do with the fact that we are addressing some professional martial arts instructors. This is what they do for a living. They take it very seriously, and they're very good at it. So, yeah, it can be intimidating.

Most of the people here don't show overt hostility to anyone, which is appreciated. If you are looking for informed opinions about Kenpo or your perspective of Kenpo, you've come to the right place.

I look forward to reading some more of your opinions.

Psssst.... all those 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th degrees have had all the same questions that you do. The neat thing is they might have some really neat stories as to how they learned the lesson you are interested in.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

With Great Respect

John
    I know exactly how you feel ...

The Mona Lisa, to me, looks like a mildy unattractive woman sitting by a window. Experts in Art might be able to explain to me why it is considered a masterpiece. But, honestly, I am not that interested.

As we begin something, in which, we do have an interest, we should turn to the experts to gain greater understanding. I don't think anyone wearing a few red stripes on their belt got there without teaching people less experienced than themselves. Part of teaching is relating new ideas to students in a way in which they can comprehend them. Good teachers do that all the time.

There are times, though, where I know I am being presented good information, but I do not have the frame of reference to understand what is being presented. That is not the fault of the student, but rather of the teacher not recognizing my inability to understand material as presented. It is the responsibility of the teacher to present the material in a different way, to assist me in my comprehension. The good teachers can understand this, and execute this.

So, yes, it is sometimes difficult to make strong statements, when we know our understanding is incomplete.

So, I quite often defer to those with greater experience. But, an intersting thing happens along the way .... our experience level improves ....

When I began on Martialtalk ... 3/1/2003 ... I had recently been promoted to a Green Belt. I was beginning to think that I was beginning to understand what Kenpo was all about .... then I got my 3rd Brown Belt ... and everything went out the window. .... and now I am preparing to test for my Black Belt.

So, while I think and feel that I am the same person I was when I started posting ... I obviously have gained, and continue to gain skills and knowledge. And so will you.

So ... jump in, the waters great.

(OK this post was very self-indulgent - sorry)

Thanks

Thank you all for the insights and reassurance. I failed to recognize that while higher ranks are just that, they are also teachers and in my experience the best teachers can learn from anyone.

Salutations

John

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I tend to find that the only stupid question is the one that was unasked because it still remains just a question.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

I like what Big Bird says........."Asking is a good way to find things out!!"

Thanks

Ahh! The ultimate wisdom from the big yellow one.

Thanks

Now make a second thread, Crane!
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

I have see Snaking Talons!

Thanks
    John

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links