Thread: Iraqi Tae Kwon Do Team Kidnapped

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Iraqi Tae Kwon Do Team Kidnapped

I just received this in an email

In Baghdad, coaches, athletes and families gathered Thursday at the capital's taekwondo union, consoling one another and waiting for news about 15 martial arts competitors -- including five members of Iraq's national taekwondo team and the only Iraqi to win a medal at an Asian regional competition in April -- who were abducted Monday on the dangerous desert road between Fallujah and Ramadi. The athletes, dressed in track suits and athletic shoes, had been heading to neighboring Jordan for a vacation.

Jamal Abdul Karim, head of the Iraqi Taekwondo Union, said he and other employees of the club each gave a year's salary Thursday to raise the $100,000 ransom demanded by someone claiming to be an intermediary for the captors.

"We've been praying from the bottom of our hearts to get them released," said Aqeel Abdul-Karim, 26, an employee of the club and friend of the kidnapped athletes.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

Default Re: Iraqi Tae Kwon Do Team Kidnapped

Is there a link somewhere to this story?

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

Thanks

That is everything I recieved in my MATA update.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

More Shugyo!

Thanks

I just received this from John Graden:

"Gunmen kidnapped the head of Iraq's Olympic committee and the chairman of the Taekwondo Federation, Jamal Abdul-Karim; and the chief of the Boxing Federation Union, Bashar Mustafa last week after storming a sports conference in Baghdad, police said. The kidnappers wore camouflage Iraqi police uniforms and security guards outside the meeting said they did not interfere because they thought the gunmen were legitimate law enforcement, police said.
    Ahmed al-Hijiya, president of the committee, was taken in the assault, which came a day after the coach of Iraq's national wrestling team was killed by kidnappers, said police Lt. Thaer Mahmoud.
    Two guards were killed, one while trying to flee the building.
    Interior Minister Jawad al-Bolani told reporters that the kidnapping was carried out by 'gangs' and not security forces.
    In May, 15 members of the Iraqi Tae Kwon Do Team were kidnapped and are being held for $100,000 ransom. There has been no word yet of there release or condition."

Thanks

I wonder is wrong with people these days.
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

A lack of respect for life.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu
    I wonder is wrong with people these days.
    They are terrorists. They hate- simple as that.
    They hate every one who isn't like them, and when they can't find enough of those to hate, they hate and kill each other.
    Hatred is insanity...

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I can't see how 15 black belt martial arts people could be taken hostage. Even if the terrorists had guns, how many terrorists were there? It still had to be 3 to 1 or 4 to 1. All the takewando people needed was one chance to take control. It is better to fight back, then to be tied up and taken somewhere you can't fight back.

Thanks

In a country full of War Lords, AK 47's, RPG"s and political strife if someone points a gun and says lets go, you go. Besides these are WTF Tae Kwon Do stylists, most don't know how to throw a punch to the head, and with out a referee present and no trophies or medals would just go along.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    In a country full of War Lords, AK 47's, RPG"s and political strife if someone points a gun and says lets go, you go. Besides these are WTF Tae Kwon Do stylists, most don't know how to throw a punch to the head, and with out a referee present and no trophies or medals would just go along.
    I might be wrong, so someone correct me if this is not right. I believe most people who get killed are taken to a second place. The best bet is to fight as hard as you can when first attacked. The terrorists will make a mistake, they will look the wrong way or lower the gun. The best bet is when they want to tie everyone up, use that as a chance to fight and escape.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kempo91 View Post
    I might be wrong, so someone correct me if this is not right. I believe most people who get killed are taken to a second place. The best bet is to fight as hard as you can when first attacked. The terrorists will make a mistake, they will look the wrong way or lower the gun. The best bet is when they want to tie everyone up, use that as a chance to fight and escape.
    You asked to be corrected so I will do so. Kidnappings in that part of the country are not like they are in North America with someone being grabbed off the street. Instead they set up a heavily armed roadblock, and take everyone in the vehicle at once in that same vehicle. You are not able to get out to try and do anything until you are in a even more heavily armed area. Many kidnappings in that part of the world are for politicla power and money. If they wanted the hostages dead one well placed shot with an RPG would have done the trick as it was approaching the road block.

As you read in the second story of abuction they looked like police, it is an entirely different world in the middle east especially in an area that is war torn. It all comes down to the golden rule, he who has the gold makes the rules, and the warlords do have the money and men to do much of what they want.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links