Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balance and Harmony

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Balance and Harmony

Lately I have been thinking a lot about the balance of life and how we try to have harmony in our lives. How do some of our members achieve their balance and harmony? Does anyone think they need to strive for more balance? Does anyone think this is just a bunch of rubbish?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Balance and Harmony

Maybe it is early in this thread to post this, but my balance sucks since my ankle surgery, and I cannot carry a tune in a bucket ... so much for harmony.

<Heh-hee>

But seriously folks, we should strive for balance in body, mind, and spirit. Both emotionally and physically.

Harmony is a little different and merits more discussion. Does harmony equate with passivity if you are dealing with an aggressive spouse, what do the Taoist in our group say? How about aggressive negotiations in business or with a high-tech firm pushing employees?

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

Thanks

I have found if my wife is happy everyone is happy. It's not just an old story its a fact!

Sometimes people complain about the little things in life and I used to also (sometimes still do). Then I remember the 10 years I spent going into peoples homes and fixing telecommunication issues and you really get a great perspective on how people live.

This made me appreciate what I have so much more. Even when it wasn't so much.

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate
    I have found if my wife is happy everyone is happy. It's not just an old story its a fact!
    I feel the same way. I am the wife and when I'm happy, then....I'm happy.

It works for me.

I think balance ebbs and flows. At least it does for me. Sometimes I put attention on work, sometimes on karate, sometimes on.....housework. (I try to keep that last one to a minimum though.)

I can't be balanced for more than a few minutes. Something always gets more attention. But that works for me because I shift it around a lot. Keeps me from getting bored.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

It requires a constant effort...at least it does for me. People are emotional creatures and thus can swing back and forth between extremes. It takes concious effort for the rational mind to reason with our emotional side.

Also, our subconcious often leads us in directions we wouldn't normally conciously chose due to bad habits developed during prolonged times of stress. First, one must recognize these habits (like being cynical...one of my biggest problems ) and then make a repeated effort to change.

my 0.02
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Right now there is very little balance or harmony in my life. I have been bitter to my parents for a while now because they will not let me do what I want to do because they think it will put a bad name on the family. I want to get married, it has been 3 years already. O well.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Right now there is very little balance or harmony in my life. I have been bitter to my parents for a while now because they will not let me do what I want to do because they think it will put a bad name on the family. I want to get married, it has been 3 years already. O well.
    Wow...uh.... Don't know if you're looking for input on that, but I used to have "issues" with my own family many years ago (probably when I was about your age) and I finally found peace by just doing what I NEEDED to do. You're an adult...right? Do what is right for you. You're the one that has to live YOUR life and live with the consequences of your decisions, not them. If your family really cares about you, they will support you and be there when you need them. My family and I get along just fine now that they stay out of my business.

Hope I wasn't out of line. I apologize if I gave my 0.02 where it wasn't wanted. Just trying to help.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Here's my .02, which I don't apologize for. (He posted on a public forum, after all. )

Getting married doesn't make you an adult. Make sure you're getting married because it's what you WANT to do and not as something to do 'against' your parents. Making adult decisions makes you an adult. If you two love each other now, you will after you've finished school and each lived on your own for a year or two. Once you've had your own apt. and paid your own bills from the money earned by working a job, then you would be more ready. There's no hurry.

No lecture, just something to consider.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Very good advice.

Thanks

Here's my .02, which I don't apologize for. (He posted on a public forum, after all. )

Getting married doesn't make you an adult. Make sure you're getting married because it's what you WANT to do and not as something to do 'against' your parents. Making adult decisions makes you an adult. If you two love each other now, you will after you've finished school and each lived on your own for a year or two. Once you've had your own apt. and paid your own bills from the money earned by working a job, then you would be more ready. There's no hurry.

100% agree. It's never to late, don't rush such an important moment in your lives. Get settled first and the relationship will flourish even more.

Good Luck to you,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I have heard said that we are constantly in search of balance in our lives, that is what drives us to do the things we do. If we are not balanced and in harmony with our surroundings and interactions we get into a big time funk! Personally, I balance my martial arts practice with yoga and meditation. Also being a teacher and always a student.

As for you David! No need to rush into marriage, that is an awesome committment. Two people can love eachother and learn about one another without rushing to marriage. Time is a wonderful teacher. Take the time to learn.

Peace,

Donna

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Mama
    I have heard said that we are constantly in search of balance in our lives, that is what drives us to do the things we do. If we are not balanced and in harmony with our surroundings and interactions we get into a big time funk!
    In some ways, I think it's almost the opposite. It's not being in balance that's the goal. It's the striving.

How boring would it be to be in balance and harmony all the time? It's getting into balance, then falling out, noticing it, and striving to regain the balance that gives you a reason to go on.

It gives you something to focus on and to change. Makes life more interesting.

--Amy

Thanks

Balance and harmony in my life??? Um... no! It will never exist.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    Balance and harmony in my life??? Um... no! It will never exist.
    Maybe for just a milisecond? A moment? Just enough to either give you something to strive for or to know that you haven't achieved it, depending how you view it.

--Amy

Thanks

Maybe for just a milisecond? A moment? Just enough to either give you something to strive for or to know that you haven't achieved it, depending how you view it.
    Well you know, after you put it that way. It does happen. The moment right before I fall asleep.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Mama
    As for you David! No need to rush into marriage, that is an awesome committment. Two people can love eachother and learn about one another without rushing to marriage. Time is a wonderful teacher. Take the time to learn.
    Another good piece of advice. Whatever you do; don't jump into anything. You may feel that you are ready and things feel right but talk to other beforehand. Whether it be family, friends or a pastor, priest, father etc. Believe me when I say, don't jump into anything b/c it's quite a life altering experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Out of a dozen or so friends who got married young(under 25) only one is stillmarried to that original person. Some things are worth waiting for, and if it is really deep love it will last until the time is right.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Than you all for your input, I talked to my parent last night and found out what they really thought. THey thought we would not have enough money to start out, but when I told them Jen already has $45 thow just stashed away they back off really quickly. That was their major problem and after I said this is a new day in age they both agreed and backed off. THey said it is up to the two of us and either way they would back us up. So now I just to get through my grandmother to get the stupid diamond, there is the true test.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I believe that balance and harmony are essential, not to say that I am able to achieve both all of the time. To me, balance is trying to attain balance in one's life regarding home life, work, karate, alone time, etc. I also don't think everything needs to be equal but given the appropriate time and not listing too far in any direction.

As for harmony, I think of harmony with our natural world and with those around us. We only need to look around us to see the ffects of disharmony, acid rain, global warming, obesity, etc. I think if we lived our lives with a consciousness of how we affect others and the world then everything would be better.

For our friend contemplating marriage, having been there, done that twice unsuccessfully, it's a huge step. I find the person I was in my 20's is totally different than the person I am now. Now having matured i have someone in my life who is a great match for me, but i doubt we would have worked 10 years ago. My advice is to look at your motivation and try to be totally brutally honest with yourself. Think too, why are your parents opposed? Is it her, you, a cultural issue? Often they know us better than we know ourselves.

Good luck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Lately I have been thinking a lot about the balance of life and how we try to have harmony in our lives. How do some of our members achieve their balance and harmony? Does anyone think they need to strive for more balance? Does anyone think this is just a bunch of rubbish?
    Jesus gives me confidence in everything I do and He gives me strength when I am struggling. Because of Him, I say no to fear. Jesus alone provides me with balance in my Kenpo, in my marriage, and as my role as a father.

I have peace because I focus on the Prince of Peace.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links