Thread: Why Kenpo?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Why Kenpo?

If someone asked you why they should take up Kenpo what would you tell them?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (02-15-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: Why Kenpo?

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    It is one of the most modern well thought of arts. It is also scientific unlike other arts where you just hit a person and not understand what happends internally and externally to the opponent. Compared to most martial arts it is one of the best.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Once you have spent the time to learn this art, when and if you ever have to depend on the teachings of this art to defend yourself the skills learned in Kenpo would save you.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Kenpo is the first martial art I was ever involved with. All others I have dabbled with have paled in comparison. Kenpo can be done by anybody- it is an adaptable art that can be tailored to the individual. It's a ton of fun and everything has an explanation. Oh yeah- and the practitioners are some of the nicest folks around!!

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Kenpo suits my needs. As soon as I seen my first class I signed up on the spot. Then me and my first instructor parted ways. Not on bad terms though as I still teach classes for him every now and then.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I would tell them that of the modern arts, it is a martial art that will give them some skill in a short amount of time ( if the instructor is worth his salt) and while being able to convey a long term return on the investment (the forms and the thought of perfecting martial stratgies lends to prolonged practice. This is in contrast to training such as MMA or Full contact Kick boxing or the MMA junkies that were doing stuff like that ten years ago are looking to do something that won't require a hip replacement later).

Regards,
    Walt

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

When someone asks about kenpo I like to jokingly tell them that the point of kenpo is to tag your attacker as many times as you can before they hit the ground so they don't wanna get up and continue fighting . But on a serious note I'm one of those people that believes in finding the right MA to suit your needs, but if you don't pick kenpo you're definitely missing out . Usually a short demonstration of some basics or a discussion of the principles and philosophies of kenpo is enough to sway their decision.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

It's a freaking blast.

End of story!

Thanks

So many new faces thought this could use a bump.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Kenpo is certainly one of the best ways to learn a practicle form of self defense. There are techniques to cover almost every thing you will encounter.
    Also it continues to upgrade and moderize to handle attacks form more modern weapons that you will encounter today.

A lot of my friends that are in traditional Forms of Karate simply don't have any self defense techniques in their systems. In their Black Belt tests some of them have a hard time coming up with more than 5 self defense techniques that would work. A lot of them come to us to improve their self defense skills. Glad we can help our friends. We have also made some converts to Kenpo.

I am Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (02-15-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sifuroy View Post
    Kenpo is certainly one of the best ways to learn a practicle form of self defense. There are techniques to cover almost every thing you will encounter.
    Also it continues to upgrade and moderize to handle attacks form more modern weapons that you will encounter today.

A lot of my friends that are in traditional Forms of Karate simply don't have any self defense techniques in their systems. In their Black Belt tests some of them have a hard time coming up with more than 5 self defense techniques that would work. A lot of them come to us to improve their self defense skills. Glad we can help our friends. We have also made some converts to Kenpo.

I am Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

The lack of being able to transition from excersize to the "practice" is not a problem with the system. Karate-do can be very effective when taught properly. I would dare many so called black belts to take a trip across the pond and test out some of the old timers. Insufficient knowledge of kata, inproper training techniques, and a "hobby" atmosphere take away from some of the severity of the training. This is why many karateka in the USA look like kick boxers. They've taken the teeth out of the tiger.

Kenpo is not better or worse than any other martial art. There are systems out there with hundreds of techniques and a few with only 8. The idea is to train so that it works. IF you cannot defend yourself then although you might be doing an art...it is not martial. Nothing wrong with that...it is what it is.

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Kenpo is for the man who has everything and wants to protect it.

Ed Parker

That to me pretty well sums it up.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Default Kenpo is the FORT KNOX of the martial arts! PERIOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Kenpo is the complete arts, and Mr. X is only teaching a part of the art.
    Kenpo has kicking, hand, throws, joint locks, weapons trainings...in fact it has all the aspects that no one else has.

So when you "DO KENPO" it is like taking the Queen Mary across the ocean. When you do Mr. X's style it's like a ride on a tug boat.

So, do whatever you want (as you point at the locations in his aura for "the Queen Mary")

©Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    It really does not matter what you take up, it only matters that you stick with it for the rest of your life. Each time
    you train make yourself a little better then you were the day before. Now knowing that this is a life long quest you should take your time, do some research and find a great teacher in a method that you are interested in.

I liked Kenpo and that is what I stuck with because I found it is very effective, it gets the job done in an expedient manner. If it comes to protecting my life or the life of a loved one that is the art I trust. As you take your time and explore different systems and styles within those systems you will find some are focused on sport competition and some are big on mystical things and outdated traditions but if you keep looking you will find teachers that focus on teaching you methods to protect your life and I recommend you figure out whats more important to you, getting a black belt fast, winning plastic trophies or medals or protecting your life and those you care for and go from there. Good Luck!

~Sami Ibrahim

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links