Thread: Motivating Child for Kenpo

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Motivating Child for Kenpo

Hello everyone. I am looking for input for those of you who have children or know people who have somehow motivated their child or children to start Kenpo when they originally did not want to do it. I have a daughter who I believe Kenpo would help in order to build her self-confidence, but she has absolutely no interest in Kenpo. She is a home-body and her only interest is riding horses. Is there any hope?

GTKenpo

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Motivating Child for Kenpo

Quote Originally Posted by GTKenpo
    Hello everyone. I am looking for input for those of you who have children or know people who have somehow motivated their child or children to start Kenpo when they originally did not want to do it. I have a daughter who I believe Kenpo would help in order to build her self-confidence, but she has absolutely no interest in Kenpo. She is a home-body and her only interest is riding horses. Is there any hope?

GTKenpo
    We simply told our son when he was 6 that we were going to sign him up. He didn't want to do it at first. He is usually a little skittish to try new things but he has enjoyed it ever since. Now he is 9 years old and has recieved his junior brown belt and he has no interest in stopping.

Our basic philosophy when it comes to activities for our three children is that they will be involved in some sort of sport or physical activity. We will sign them up and they must at least give that activity a try. We want them to be exposed to as much as they can then when they are older they can choose what activity they would like to do. We will not allow our kids to not be involed and just become home bodies. They know that this is our rule and they accept it. We are not looking for our kids to become stars, we just want them to be involved.
    Last edited by Kenpobldr; 03-09-2006 at 12:16 PM.
    Heart is the differance between those who attempt and those who achieve.

Train hard.... pain is weakness leaving the body.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Hi. I raised both of my kids in Kenpo. My son is 23 and my daughter just turned 20. She has been doing Kenpo since she was in third grade. Now she is the Asst instructor at my school and in charge of our kid's program.

We just made Kenpo a part of their life like going to school or anything else. Find an aspect of Kenpo that might attract her and start there.

I am looking forward to raising my grandkids in kenpo. Just thinkin' out loud.

Bill Piper
    Texas Storm Kenpo
    Ft Worth Texas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GTKenpo

GTKenpo
    If it's primarily just self confidence that you want to help her boost... explore other avenues as well, besides martial arts. Though I agree with you that studying Kenpo can help a child a GREAT deal in building self esteem and confidence....it's not the only one by a long shot. Seek out things, brainstorm and come up with options for Her to choose from that may spark her interest. Then follow what works for her as an individual.
    KEEP trying with the Kenpo, but overall.... look Everywhere for things to do this same thing for her.

Also: Sometimes it helps if there's another young girl, around her own age or just a little older, who's also in the class. Sometimes this works for boys, but I think it's almost a necesity for girls....who tend to be much more socially minded. So if there is such a young lady in your local Kenpo studio... introduce them maybe.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

My 5-yr old has just taken naturally to it, she loves the rough housing with me and the other kids and the physical activities. She also seems to have a bit of a crush on our Instructor LOL. She also seems to really respond to the positive reinforcement when she does well, so it's an opportunity for her to learn somethnig or do something and get told how great she is.

My teenage daughters suffered through a year each because I insisted they do so. I still ahve no idea what motiveates teenage girls. I've been trying to figure that out since I was a teenage boy.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links