Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What side?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default What side?

Taken from the "Clutching Feathers" thread....

Does it really matter what side the knot of your belt is on? It was addressed that it made a difference in the 60's-70's when there was little difference in hairstyles between the boys and the girls and it helped to tell them apart. Is this still an issue today? Do you think it really matters? How important is it to you?

Personally...I could care less. I understand the wearing of patches and gi's for traditions sake...but I'd be just as happy in a pair of sweats. I also understand people need visual aids to remind them of their accomplishments (belt colors) and some people feel it is a sign of respect with the placement of the knot. That's cool. But me...I don't care about that...I'm in it for what it teaches. Your thoughts?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Default Re: What side?

Well, I come from a Tracy line, so we always wear the knot in front. I move it when I attend a EPAK seminar or visit another school, but I do think that particular tradition is kinda silly. I'd like to think I know my students well enough that I don't have to look at my students belt to figure out what gender they are.

One school that I visit regularly almost never uses uniforms, and it really hasn't hurt their kenpo any.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Front unless we are doing sword work then the back.

Thanks

At my first school, I wore my knot on the side. I came up with a complicated knot to make it flat so it wouldn't catch on things.

Then I went to a Tracy school an my instructor looked at my knot, got a bit annoyed and taught me to tie it properly. Then he moved it to the front and that was that.

I haven't been to any other school that has the students move the knots to the sides since my first one. Even after I went back to EPAK schools.

I like it in front.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

We're supposed to do the side thing...but it's rarely enforced..at least not by me. Gee, I hope I don't get into trouble for that! LOL Like I said, if it were up to me I'd be wearing shorts and a t-shirt (and my trusty cup.. or box as they say in the U.K).
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    We're supposed to do the side thing...but it's rarely enforced..at least not by me. Gee, I hope I don't get into trouble for that! LOL Like I said, if it were up to me I'd be wearing shorts and a t-shirt (and my trusty cup.. or box as they say in the U.K).
    Personally, I LIKE wearing my gi. When I put my gi on, I get into kenpo mode. I've done singing telegrams and dressed in costume to entertain at kids' birthday parties, so I've found the the right 'costume' can put you in the mood, as it were.

When I put on my gi, then I become 'kenpo woman' and I'm ready to go.

Sometimes I even wear a cape.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Is it a red cape? LOL.

I understand completely. For me, just entering the dojo puts me in "kenpo-mode." Then again, I think I'm always in "Kenpo-Mode." For instance: I open the refrigerator by dropping into a rear twist stance and executing an inward handle grab. I then unwind using the force of the tourqe to open the door. Then, I execute a front forward crossover simultaneously executing a right beer bottle grab. I exit out with a hooking rear kick to close the door as I head back to my reclyner. ROFL.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (05-11-2009)

Thanks

Ours go on the sides unless you are testing, at a tournament, or at a seminar. Or unless you are an instructor of course. Otherwise it is like you are challenging the instructor.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Ours go on the sides unless you are testing, at a tournament, or at a seminar. Or unless you are an instructor of course. Otherwise it is like you are challenging the instructor.
    Challenge the instructor?

Can an EPAK person please explain this to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Challenging the instructor means challenging the instructor for authority.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

But where did knot placement mean challenging authority come from or is that what we are trying to determine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

In the standard class room setting onlythe instructor places the knot in front. All others where the knot to the side. To place the knot in front is to openly challenge for authority.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Is it a red cape? LOL.

I understand completely. For me, just entering the dojo puts me in "kenpo-mode." Then again, I think I'm always in "Kenpo-Mode." For instance: I open the refrigerator by dropping into a rear twist stance and executing an inward handle grab. I then unwind using the force of the tourqe to open the door. Then, I execute a front forward crossover simultaneously executing a right beer bottle grab. I exit out with a hooking rear kick to close the door as I head back to my reclyner. ROFL.
    as long as you double factor while popping the top with proper body alignment and positioning, you've adhered to all your principles.
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chronuss
    as long as you double factor while popping the top with proper body alignment and positioning, you've adhered to all your principles.
    Yes, I agree. I've been struggling with the transition after the beer grab and perhaps you can help. How do you keep from spilling beer on the floor as you unwind from the front twist stance simultaneously tossing the beer cap into the trash can as you exit out?

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

as you keep your head level while transitioning out of the stance into another, this will assist in proper body alignment as well as the rotational force from untwisting the cap. crossover, and cover out twice.

I say we devote time to this techinique, Unfurling Inebriation we'll call it.
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    To place the knot in front is to openly challenge for authority.
    I know that is what it is supposed to mean, but if they really wanted to challenge me, they would just do so, and they wouldn't have to go, "hold on, wait a second, I am going to position my belt to the front"

A student's attitude of humility is more important to me than any position of a belt knot.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Personally, I LIKE wearing my gi. When I put my gi on, I get into kenpo mode.
    The important phrase here is "I LIKE"......
    At my school I'm the only one to place the knot on the side, but I have MY reasons, tradition is important to ME. I'm not out to change anyone or impress my instructors I do it for the same reason I train in Kenpo (I want to).
    I'm not sure of the origin, but that wouldn't make any difference.

Train in whatever you like, but make sure it fits YOU (pun intended).
    What have I learned from this???

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpo-Sloth For This Useful Post:

toejoe2k (05-12-2009)

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

We place the belt knots as they are supposed to be. Right for females and left for males. The head instructor places it in the center.

Personally I could care less where the belt knot goes. Personally speaking if everyone were in gi pants and a sweatshirt and no belt I'd be fine with that. The belt doesn't make the person anyhow.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jfarnsworth For This Useful Post:

toejoe2k (05-12-2009)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Everything in Kenpo should be questioned and that brings me to the question that hasn't been asked:

Why do we place the knot to the side??

Respect for the Teacher or School owner??
    Start on the side and work toward the center??
    Mormon tradition??
    Ed Parker wanted it that way??
    That's what I was told??
    It says so in Infinite Insights vol. 1??
    Something to do with the Chinese or Japanese??
    I wear mine in the center??
    I don't even know how to tie it yet??
    I don't know??

What do you think, should this be a poll??
    What have I learned from this???

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

I am not sure , but I think several Kenpo traditions like belt to different
    sides for men and women and the Axe on the bottom of the Parker Crest might have come over from some of Mr. Parkers Morman beliefs. I think the ax on the bottom meaning you would be cut off from the system would be very much like shunning. I am not totally sure of this but I have read that somewhere.

I am Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links