Thread: replacing a knife with a stun gun for self defense

Thanks

Default replacing a knife with a stun gun for self defense

Here is a question partially borrowed from Martial talk. I know a lot of people choose to carry a knife for self defense. Myself I thought about it but came to the conclusion that I don’t have any real training it the use of a knife other than maybe skinning a deer. So that weapon would most likely end up being used on me. That got me to thinking, (that’s scary) but with the use of a knife in most situations you would have to be in close to the attacker. What about replacing a knife with an electric stun gun a small unit only about 4” long. It can be worn on the belt just like a knife it’s small and easy to get into your hand and will stop an attacker. I know it it only took one time of being hit by our electric fence to know I didn’t want any part of that. And I would think, that would give someone more options if faced with a confrontation and deadly force was not required. For instance lets say a person was jumped, this person knew Kenpo or any martial art and was able to land a punch or three. That knocked down the attacker but attacker was still looking to get back up. Well you could keep kicking that person to subdue them or you could zap that person one good one and that would buy you time to leave the area. And by the time they get up/ wake up you took the fight right out of the dog and the attacker would most likely just be glad they still have their wallet.

So what are some of your opinions on replacing a knife with a stun gun?
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: replacing a knife with a stun gun for self defense

...or I could just choke them out... or knock them out (targets.)

I don't see anything wrong with carrying one if that's what you prefer.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Its tough to open a box or cut a rope with a taser.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    Myself I thought about it but came to the conclusion that I don’t have any real training it the use of a knife other than maybe skinning a deer.
    Mr. Vic LaReaux (hope I spellid that right) of the IKCA told a story once about himself and SGM Parker. Mr. L has a FMA background, and was really into knife work. Mr. Parker asked him to do some work, and said in return he'd work with Mr. L on anything he wanted. Mr. L chose knife work.He said Mr. Parker just laughed and laughed, gave him a knife, and started working him through Kenpo techniques while holding the knife. So, you know more than you think you do.

As to a stun gun being more useful than a knife, consider that it is easier to deploy a knife when tied up than it is a stun gun. The knife has a lot mor uses in self defense, and works a whole lot better in multiple opponent scenarios. Knives are easier to conceal, so less likely to get taken and used against you. They are generally cheaper as well, if you have to loose it. I'd choose the knife. But that is a personal choice- just somethings to consider.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I prefer the knife (I carry one everywhere I go) over the stun gun. In my line of work we use tasers. When both probes fail to connect properly , you wind up with a stun gun on a string. This is not good. I have seen bad guys just fight through the pain and attempt to run away (that's when the real fun begins). Stun guns work through pain compliance, there is no neural override. Bring the knife-leave the stun gun.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links