Thread: Escaping the Rear naked choke

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Escaping the Rear naked choke

This is quite possibly one of the worst situations you could find yourself in. Someone choking you out from behind while on the ground with little or no leverage. A nightmare, right!? Well, there's a way out of it, even if they get the hold locked in.

I'll first explain the mechanics behind the choke. When I say "locked in" I'm refering to the oppoent being on your back with a choke applied (usually a forearm across your neck/throat with pressure applied from behind with the other hand) with their legs wrapped over your hips and feet locked in the front. The reason being is that to apply additional pressure all the attacker must do is arch their back. I've been here..it hurts. LOL.

Now, understanding that, all you need do to disuade them from arching their back (and applying a great deal of your own pain) is to simply bring your leg up and over the attackers top foot. This applies painful pressure to their ankle and increased the pain if they attampt to arch. I've been here before also... it really hurts. LOL.

Take note of the expression on Mr. Bret's face (choker) and the expression on Mr. Dericks face (chokee.) Who's in pain? LOL. Seriously though, note the position of Dericks leg crossed over Bret's foot. That's the key.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 610 Posts

Default Re: Escaping the Rear naked choke

Where's the clip? Sorry if I'm missing the link somewhere.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Thanks

Sorry, no pic first time. DOH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

The picture posted doesn't seem to relate to the choke you described. They look snug like two bugs in a rug.

And why did you put the word 'naked' in there? Was that to make sure that the thread was read?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    The picture posted doesn't seem to relate to the choke you described. They look snug like two bugs in a rug.

And why did you put the word 'naked' in there? Was that to make sure that the thread was read?

--Amy
    LOL. You're so funny. Bret is in the process of "Letting go" at this point. Pain has a tendency to coerce people. LOL. The main thing to notice is the positon of both or thier legs.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I don't understand why "naked" was in there either... what part does it apply to? The feet?...
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks

You're missing the point ladies. Call it a pink-polka-dot-death-grip if you want to but that's not important..... You're doing this on purpose aren't you?

Think of it this way: You're as vulnerable as a wee naked babe in the woods when in this position. Note the positon of the feet (not whether they are covered or not) and take note of the positons. That's where the benefit of this post lies....silly girls.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    You're missing the point ladies. Call it a pink-polka-dot-death-grip if you want to but that's not important..... You're doing this on purpose aren't you?

Think of it this way: You're as vulnerable as a wee naked babe in the woods when in this position. Note the positon of the feet (not whether they are covered or not) and take note of the positons. That's where the benefit of this post lies....silly girls.
    Okay, now I'm really confused. I don't see a sing pink polka dot!

It looks like a big cuddly hug.

And yes, I'm doing this on purpose.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I actually didn't understand the attack when I first read it, so I thought that Naked was meant to describe part of the attack. Geez, ask a question and people think you're being silly. I had to re-read the scenario a few times then I understood.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gimpat01
    I actually didn't understand the attack when I first read it, so I thought that Naked was meant to describe part of the attack. Geez, ask a question and people think you're being silly. I had to re-read the scenario a few times then I understood.
    ....sheesh...and I even supplied a visual aid!

Thanks

Well, you started off saying the person is viciously on your back getting you in a choke hold, then you show us a picture of two guys, both on their backs, grinning and rolling around.

For some reason, those two things just don't quite go together.

--Amy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Well, you started off saying the person is viciously on your back getting you in a choke hold, then you show us a picture of two guys, both on their backs, grinning and rolling around.

For some reason, those two things just don't quite go together.

--Amy
    This coming from "Amy-Long-Hugs." LOL. BTW, the guy in the back isn't grinning..he's hurting..on the inside even..LOL.

Gee, would anyone like to discuss escaping a rear NAKED choke?

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

This looks like a grappling move. Is it? (Pardon my ignorance for asking)

Thanks

It is a "grappling move" and is best applied as a sleeper hold by compressing the sides of the neck rather than the trachea in front.

And in BJJ circles the counter to crossing your ankles is widely known and is crossing your ankles is not recommended. Usually they "put the hooks in" by putting their heels on the inside of your thighs to get the same leverage. In addition, if the defender has kept their legs together early on, the very act of trying to put your leg over their foot, will open up your thigh to allow the attacker to put the hooks in.

The rear naked choke (common term in grappling circles for the rear sleeper) with the hooks in is really nasty, and generally you won't get out of it. I recommend drawing your knife and start going to work on their leg and plunging backward at their face.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lady_kaur
    This looks like a grappling move. Is it? (Pardon my ignorance for asking)
    Yes ma'am it is. As stated, it's definatley somewhere you DON'T want to be. But, as Kenpoist strive to be prepared for any eventuality.. it helps to know a trick or two.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

No wonder class takes so long! LOL!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside
    And in BJJ circles the counter to crossing your ankles is widely known and is crossing your ankles is not recommended. Usually they "put the hooks in" by putting their heels on the inside of your thighs to get the same leverage.
    Yup. I made the mistake of crossing my ankles while working with a Sambo guy. He reached with a hand and put pressure on my ankles to show me why that was a bad idea. Try it, you won't like it.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links