Thread: Who Influenced Your Journey?

Thanks

Default Who Influenced Your Journey?

One of the great things about the martial arts is the number of quality people you meet. Over time, there can be many individuals who have a profound influence on your path. But, if you had to pick out one who had the greatest impact- someone who set or changed your course, the way you look at or approach your training or philosophy- who would that be?

For me, it was a man in a completely different system. I only saw him once, at a 4 hour seminar. It was Anise Sensei, who headed an Aiki-jitsu system. The seminar was primarily about control of your opponents center. I was trying to make the moves he showed us work with Kenpo footwork. Anise Sensei showed me why what I was doing wouldn't work, then how to do it right.

The main thrust of the seminar was to show us that what we see or do externally is not the entire picture. It is what happens internally, both with you and your opponent, that sets a martial artist apart from a brawler. One method he used was to use bokens. With a simple redirect and return, useing tight circles, he could produce a large unballancing effect in the opponent. All an observer would see is a disarm or a technique to creat an opening. But you could feel the effect when done to you.

In the closing lecture, we were told that the primary objective was to get us to look for the internal in what we do. To analyze it in what others do.

This is nothing new to a Kenpoist. It is one of our systems strengths to be able to look at what we and others do and understand it. But having this demonstrated by someone outside AK, someone who really understood and who had a passion and gift for teaching, really had an impact on me. In four hours I went ouutside my comfort zone, learned to look at martial arts from a whole new perspective, then was returned to my base.

Since then, I've looked for the "internal" element in what I do. I'm often proved wrong in my interpretations. But that's ok. ANd a lot of AK folk either look at me funny or get exasperated with my experiments. That's ok too. I've enjoyed the journey so far. To quote Angus Starling (Ghost and the Darkness), "The struggle is the glory."

Thanks

Default Re: Who Influenced Your Journey?

It started with Mr. Karol Petro. I tried to imitate his way of moving which was very linear. After I left that school and came to Mr. Palanzo' s it was like a whole new life. That is when I really started to meet the first black belts and man did they open my eyes. I than tried to mix the linear motion of my first instructor and the circular motion of Mr. Palanzo. I than began going to the WKKA camp and had the privilage to meet such popole as Mr. Frank Trejo, Mr. Tom Kelly, Mr. Joe Bridenstien and Dr. Maung Gyi. Dr. Gyi opened my eyes to the Kukari and combat knife. From there I moved on to the panther sword. Mr. Bridenstien taught me how to use escrima sticks and Mr. Kelly advanced my speed while Mr. Palanzo increased my fluidity. Mr. Trejo showed me a few things on boxing.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

3. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerkarate For This Useful Post:

thedan (04-24-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I was first impressed and inspired by Jeff Speakman in "The Perfect Weapon."

As far as 'real-life' I was inspired by my current instructor. Wade Wilbourn has managed to establish the first legitimate alternative to TKD in this area .....ever! Every other non-TKD school to open here in the last 20 years has failed. He did it while working full time and attaining a Masters Degree all the while fitting Kenpo in and teaching the rest of us ingrates. LOL.

I'm also inspired routinely by our students. I often find new vigor in their enthusiasm for the art. They also present questions that are unique to thier point of view which almost always provides something new to explore. Forever changing and evolving...how can you not stay inspired?!?!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

thedan (04-24-2007)

Thanks

I've been influenced almost every instructor I've had.

The first dramatic influence was Ray Arquilla. He changed my whole thinking about kenpo. My basics became strong and I learned how to be tough. One of the things he said has stuck with me all these years. I was upset because I had been hit very hard by one of the guys in class (I was the only woman) and I was mad that he'd hit me that hard. He told me, "If I thought you were only going to be attacked by someone of your own height and weight, that's all I'd have you practice with."

I've learned a lot from my current instructor, Darryl Liner, of course. He's been my instructor longer than any other I've had, but the early influences seem to have a more profound affect, it seems.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

thedan (04-24-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

This is a good topic that died too soon.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

clyde t. o'briant.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pete For This Useful Post:

thedan (04-24-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    One of the great things about the martial arts is the number of quality people you meet. Over time, there can be many individuals who have a profound influence on your path. But, if you had to pick out one who had the greatest impact- someone who set or changed your course, the way you look at or approach your training or philosophy- who would that be?

For me, it was a man in a completely different system. I only saw him once, at a 4 hour seminar. It was Anise Sensei, who headed an Aiki-jitsu system. The seminar was primarily about control of your opponents center. I was trying to make the moves he showed us work with Kenpo footwork. Anise Sensei showed me why what I was doing wouldn't work, then how to do it right.
    Tony Annesi I presume. I have a bunch of his videos; but, have not met him in person.

I guess my biggest influence would be Hanshi Bruce Juchnik, Kosho kenpo. Also, Sensei Carl Long (MJER, Shino Musu-Ryu Jo-Jutsu) and Sensei Roy Goldberg (Daito Ryu).
    More Shugyo!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gakusei For This Useful Post:

thedan (04-24-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

(1) Bill Maderas (First teacher)
    (2) Mike Norton (Fellow student)
    (3) Phil Streeter (Teacher- R.I.P.)
    (4) Gary Cropley (Teacher)
    (5) Gordon Buck (Teacher)
    (6) Scott Halsey (Teacher)
    (7) Huk Planas (Teacher's Teacher)
    (8) Chuck Epperson (Friend's teacher)
    (9) Chris Davison (Friend/Teacher)
    (10) Amy Long (Friend/Workout Buddy)

Plus tons and tons of workout buddies from my past- and students I have worked with and I'm sure I am forgetting someone important.......like my parents- who paid for it all until I was an adult and could pay for it on my own!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Shodan For This Useful Post:

thedan (04-24-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan
    (10) Amy Long (Friend/Workout Buddy)

P.S. I'm finally a '10'!
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

When I started Kenpo I went spent one solid year at a school that just burned me out. I spent the next year wanting absolutely nothing to do with any MA. One of my friendas talked me into going to an aikido class with him I spent two years there and really "rediscovered" why I started in MA to begin with. Ivey Sensei was a great influence on me. And as much as I enjoyed I always felt like I was missing something.
    When the opportunity arose for me to train under Mr. Boyce I knew that i had found the missing pieces. I found Kenpo that was all about Kenpo not being "commercialized." He was teaching because he loved it and no other reason. That missing ingredient was what drew me back in.
    I have been in and out as life, finances and family cause inevitable changes but, I have always come back to the Boyce family because, they are family.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Takai For This Useful Post:

Boyceweb (05-08-2011),thedan (04-24-2007)

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

What really opened my eyes on the Kenpo school I joined was a phone call. I called them up, spoke with a woman introducing herself as "Mrs. (surname)". She must have spent 45 minutes on the phone with me listening to me say I'm clumsy and uncoordinated and this and that and the other thing. She listened to my concerns, answering each with an anecdote of how they had adult students that overcame the same things.

I went to see a class and was surprised. Neither Mr. (surname) nor Mrs. (surname) taught full-time, both focused on the management of the school. Unfortuantely that was partly out of necessity as Mr. (surname) had a serious injury...not from Kenpo.

Perhaps the biggest motivator of all was standing along side Mr. (surname). I was next to this towering Marine, with an arm wrapped in this unsightly brace, seperated from what he loves to do, yet still in the middle of it, still cheering everyone on. It was like I could sense the devastating pain that he was feeling and amongst his calm display of strength, resiliency, and perseverance.

I wanted to learn how to be that strong, that reslilient, that peaceful....that positive! I signed up that evening and have been there ever since.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

Richard Finn (04-24-2007),thedan (04-24-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    clyde t. o'briant.
    I've talked with Clyde (not "Mr. O'Brient, if ya know what I mean) on the phone. Lot of knowlege, and always willing to share what he knows.

Quote Originally Posted by gakusei
    Tony Annesi I presume. I have a bunch of his videos; but, have not met him in person.
    Yes, that would be him. Amazing martial artist, as well as an acomplished teacher. Multi -lingual, seemed to be well educated, but able to teach on whatever level the student needs- and to handle an incredable mix of stylists and experience. If you get the chance to attend a seminar, don't miss it!

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I'm finally a '10'!
    Amy, Kenpo women are all 10's- you didn't know that?

Quote Originally Posted by lady_kaur
    I wanted to learn how to be that strong, that reslilient, that peaceful....that positive!
    That is pretty inspirational just reading it! Thanks.I'm somewhat limmited in my training right now myself. It is good to hear that others have faced worse and still do what they can. I sincerely hope his condition is not permanent, or at least that it can improve, if not heal completely.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    That is pretty inspirational just reading it! Thanks.I'm somewhat limmited in my training right now myself. It is good to hear that others have faced worse and still do what they can. I sincerely hope his condition is not permanent, or at least that it can improve, if not heal completely.
    You could have heard a pin drop in our school the day he walked on the mat. I was one of the first that he approached. He was trying to show me a technique with a handsword, and he had to stop and straighten the fingers on his bad hand. I had tears in my eyes.

But, he's a tough guy. He has the support of his wife, the instructors under him, and all of us that train under him.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (05-11-2007),thedan (04-24-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Default What starts you moving is almost always painful

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    One of the great things about the martial arts is the number of quality people you meet. Over time, there can be many individuals who have a profound influence on your path. But, if you had to pick out one who had the greatest impact- someone who set or changed your course, the way you look at or approach your training or philosophy- who would that be? ."

Well your presupposition is that something positive influenced our journeys.

And it’s pretty well established that what really motivates most of us is the pain, humiliation and the hurtful “away-froms”.

Crap that we just never want to happen again, ever.

At least at first. Those are the “propulsion systems” that get us off our kumdingees.

So I got to say that Freddy Joe is the one that really motivated me to learn real good martial arts.

The kid, even in the 6th grade had arms like a gorilla, hair on his chest, testicles covered with fur and he had to shave twice a day.

Real dominant, mean and pushy. The bully from Hell.

Even today, every bully I see has Freddy’s face on him, and when I slam the bully I slam Freddy Joe.

So starting the proper training was due to Freddy Joe.

Now “continuing” with my training for so more than 4 decades? Those are different, more positive reasons.

©Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Ps. I did see Freddy Joe about 15 years ago. Short, fat, gone to seed. Smoking 3 packs a day. High school drop out. Drove trucks for a living. We actually had a really nice talk about the good old days. I even liked him;-)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (05-11-2007),thedan (04-24-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: What starts you moving is almost always painful

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    Well your presupposition is that something positive influenced our journeys.
    Yes, sir, I was actually thinking of the positive influences in our individual journies. However ...

... I got to say that Freddy Joe is the one that really motivated me to learn real good martial arts. The kid, even in the 6th grade had arms like a gorilla, hair on his chest, testicles covered with fur and he had to shave twice a day. Real dominant, mean and pushy. The bully from Hell.
    LOL! We've all had our "Freddy Joe" influences as well, I'm sure! I've known a couple, myself. Can't say they motivated me to do Kenpo, though. Maybe indirectly, as they got me to look into self "defense" tactics.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (04-24-2007)

Z-Rex is offline Zoran Sevic
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 607 Posts

Lee Wedlake (1st kenpo and martial arts experience)
    Tom Saviano (my current instructor)
    John McSweeney
    God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak.
    Unfortunantly, he gave us 2 eyes and 10 fingers, which explains the problems we get on the internet.~Zoran

Zoran "Z-Rex" Sevic | My Facebook | My YouTube Channel | Where I Teach |
    Like a T-Rex with longer arms

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

All those I has have learned from, trained with and taught. And know all those I post with on KT and MT.
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

My First Kenpo influance was Sterling Peacock. (A. K. A. Matt David); however, Skip Hancock inspired me the most by teaching me that kenpo is about me.
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Default Re: What starts you moving is almost always painful

[color=white]LOL! We've all had our "Freddy Joe" influences as well, I'm sure! I've known a couple, myself. Can't say they motivated me to do Kenpo, though. Maybe indirectly, as they got me to look into self "defense" tactics. Dan C[/quote]

When the reason (propulsion system) is powerful enough...

...any simple effective how-to method will suffice to get the job done.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links