Thread: dojo at home?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default dojo at home?

Does anyone have a home dojo setup or something to the equiv? I'm curious who all is operating out of the home or garage and what setup you have. All you really need is floor space I guess .
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

Default Re: dojo at home?

I have an undercover drug lab that I operate out of my home, but I don't really like to talk about that.

I have a big punching bag standing thing in the family room.

No space for anything else though.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I used to havemy basement set up for doing private lessons at one time, but I mainly used it as my home gym instead.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I used to have a heavy bag hanging in the basement. Nothing buy floor space now.

Thanks

I used to have a dojo in the basement of one of my old houses.....well kind of a dojo/band rehearsal space with a little kamiza set up.
    Having a space really put me in the mood to practice and to take it seriously.
    I really dont need it now......i am constantly doing something.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Here are some pics of my old work out room.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Space? Whats that?? o_O
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

The Dojo I currently train and study in is a home Dojo. It is a secondfloor room with alot of space and several bags and dummies as well as mirrors and factory made posters with all the techs. and such on the walls and some pictures.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

One of the locations I train is also a home/garage studio. I don't know where my friend stores his extra stuff cuz we certainly could not devote our entire garage to a dojo right now!! He has foam puzzle mats for a floor, the whole front wall is mirrors and he has a speed bag, focus ball and small standing bag in there. In the summer, we open up the garage door and use part of the driveway for more space.......in winter, it can get cozy at times, but most of the time- everything works with enough space. Right now, there are only 7 of us total on the nights everyone shows up.

At our house, I have an 80 pound canvas punching bag hanging from the rafters- once I clear out the space around it, I can use it from time to time before it gets cluttered again!! I do my forms out back on the lawn or cement patio.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I HAD a decent set up in my garage. I had a small mat and a seperate area with a Bob, some weights and a bike.
    Then my wife started redecorating the house and now my garage is filled with old furniture. I want to get it out of there and get my space back but she wants to have a garage sale and I will do anything NOT to have another garage sale.
    "How much for the couch and the kitchen table and chairs?"
    "Twenty bucks"
    "I will give you fifty cents"
    ARRRRGH
    "I dont know if you know this but......I am kind of a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogony" Ron Burgandy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Hey... I think I know that guy in the corner. What's his name?... Bob?

I used to have my living room where the dining room is and the living room was my training area with Bob and a mat. Now that Wade has bought a place and I have a key, I have all the space I need to work out in. Now I have a real Living room and a real dining room! LOL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Yeah........Bob!! Poor guy.......he just stands there while everyone pounds on him. Then he has to endure crazy costume getups at Halloween time. I remember telling my husband about Bob one time. He had no idea I was talking about a fake guy.......and so I was saying- "Yeah- there's this guy at the studio named Bob. He has no arms or legs and everyone beats on him." You should have seen the initial look on his face........priceless!!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

<camey pets the tiger> Tell her to put in on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerstripes
    I HAD a decent set up in my garage. I had a small mat and a seperate area with a Bob, some weights and a bike.
    Then my wife started redecorating the house and now my garage is filled with old furniture. I want to get it out of there and get my space back but she wants to have a garage sale and I will do anything NOT to have another garage sale.
    "How much for the couch and the kitchen table and chairs?"
    "Twenty bucks"
    "I will give you fifty cents"
    ARRRRGH
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Purrr.
    We thought about that but shipping would be a huge problem. The wife actually wants the space back almost as much as I do as she trains as well. We'll probably end up selling a few things but giving most stuff to goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    <camey pets the tiger> Tell her to put in on ebay.
    "I dont know if you know this but......I am kind of a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogony" Ron Burgandy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerstripes
    I HAD a decent set up in my garage. ...Then my wife started redecorating the house and now my garage is filled with old furniture. I want to get it out of there and get my space back...
    Man, life just handed you lemonaid, and you are making lemmons out of it! Don't you realize that you've just been handed the raw materials to fill your workout room with a fortune in training aids?

I make most of my own workout equipment, and seat cushions, springs, arm rests- a gold mine! Just add duct tape and stir with immagination.

I have made several life size, realistic dummies, with landmarks/targets. Most of the padding is from old furniture and carpet pad. These are not only a great workout tool, but when you are boored just stand it outside the sliding glass door at dusk and wait for your wifes' reaction. Works every time!

I have a fire hose dummy that simulates the feel of a human body when working with sticks. It is folded in two and hung from the cieling. It also has feet- old shoes and socks filled with sand. I put grommets in the bottom of the hose ends and attached with bungee chord, so I can position the legs to work techniques. The head and torsoe are foam from cushions.

I'm working on one that is like a combination Wing Chun dummy and striking frame. The ody padding and some targets will probably use foam from cushions and padding from arm rests and seat backs. It's a slow process any more, though. But all these, and most everything else I have, is from scraps and salvaged or surplus materials. Just get in there and go psycho!!!

Thanks

You are the MacGyver of the martial arts world!

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Give thedan a stick of gum, an empty tuna can and a roll of duct tape and he'll give you a shopping mall back.

Anyway - I have just enough room in my bedroom to do most of the white, yellow & adv yellow forms and techs. If I need more space I take it out to the patio by the pool. If/when my roommate gets moves out and gets married, I'm going to turn her room into my studio. Yep, September cannot get here fast enough.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks

The truth is, thedan is just cheap. Really cheap! And hard headed. If he can't find what he wants commercially, he makes it himself. Then he discovers he likes making the things and doesn't know when to stop. But mostly, he's cheap. Really ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    The truth is, thedan is just cheap. Really cheap! And hard headed. If he can't find what he wants commercially, he makes it himself. Then he discovers he likes making the things and doesn't know when to stop. But mostly, he's cheap. Really ...
    Next thing you know, he'll be mailing himself to the next camp!

--Amy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Next thing you know, he'll be mailing himself to the next camp!

--Amy
    Now THAT"S what I call creative thinking!

I think thre are still a couple of large shipping crates at work that I havn't knocked apart to salvage the lumber ...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links