Thread: What would you do?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default What would you do?

A hypothetical scenario for discussion:

You and your friend (spouse/fince/date) leave a restaraunt after having dinner. There was limited parking when you arrived so you had to park several blocks away. When you arrived it was still light out but now the sun has set and the stars are out. While taking the sidewalk back to your car, you notice a man standing under an overhang to a closed business. He doesn't look poor by your assessment. His clothes look like anybody elses and he's wearing a fairly nice jacket. He is alone and is leaning against the doorframe with his hands in his pocket. He nods to you as you pass. Once you pass you hear the creak of the wood and footsteps approaching behind you. You then feel a hand on your right shoulder and a man's voice says, "Can I have some money...?"

How do you react?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Default Re: What would you do?

Turn to the left, and wind up with my right foot away from the person, hand come up in front of my body, hands open in a "whats up" position. My wife is probably further down the sidewalk than I am at this point. Observe the demeanor/posture of the guy who just touched me.

Then I say "no."

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Well usually if you are getting held up, they will not ask for money they will demand it. But, I would step to about 9 o'clock with myright foot and turn around with my left hand checking near my chin so this ould get his hand off of me. Hopefully Jen would be a lot farther away. Once I see him out of the corner of my left eye I will see I he has a gun or whatever. And than react acordingly.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Someone standing there in the dark, going to level yellow. Hear noises after I pass, movin up to level orange. Someone grabs me at that point, I'd have to assume hostile intentions. I probably wouldn't hear what they are saying. If someone wanted to ask for money they would have done so when we were facing each other. After they are restrained, we would have a little talk.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

May God have mercy on them. Should not have touched me from behind unannounced.

Thanks

"for the bus?" ....you turn around to see an 80 year old man that had come out of the door next to the fellow you observed earlier. The other fellow is still there watching you beat the crap out of an 80 year old man that needed change for the bus.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IRONGATOR
    May God have mercy on them. Should not have touched me from behind unannounced.
    Amen to that. Someone's gonna be very very sorry.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

I don't like people touching me, either >:0
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    A hypothetical scenario for discussion:

Once you pass you hear the creak of the wood and footsteps approaching behind you. You then feel a hand on your right shoulder and a man's voice says, "Can I have some money...?"

How do you react?
    Sword and Hammer. Just remember to look before you chop.

Thanks

I'd like to think that if someone asked me that way, I wouldn't assume the worst, but the fact of the matter is that nobody should sneak up and put their hands on me unless they want to get hit.

(So remember that all you wise-akers when I see you at some camp)

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I'd like to think that if someone asked me that way, I wouldn't assume the worst, but the fact of the matter is that nobody should sneak up and put their hands on me unless they want to get hit.

--Amy
    I would assume the worst. I would ASSUME the worst but then decide the defense once I see my attacker's face.

I've never experienced being jumped. I've just been within feet of other people being jumped. The times I've seen it haven't been like the movies where some creepo with a knife jumps out of the shadows in a face-to-face confrontation demanding your money or your life.

The attacks that I have seen have all been from behind. Unsuspecting. So the victim doesn't get a good look at the perp's face. The perp tries a push or a shove to get the person off balance, then takes off with their briefcase or purse. A couple of times I saw crimes committed that were a little more involved.

But I would have absolutely no problem with executing a defense on a grab from behind. Perhaps it may not be a handsword to the throat, if my attacker was an 80 year old man, but maybe it would be a suckerpunch instead.

A grab from behind could meet my state's definition of simple assault. It's easier to justify self defense if my attacker is breaking the law.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong

--Amy
    I'll make sure to announce my presence over the loud speaker! LOL.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links