Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chi

Thanks

Default Chi

The vital force believed in Taoism and other Chinese thought to be inherent in all things. The unimpeded circulation of chi and a balance of its negative and positive forms in the body are held to be essential to good health in traditional Chinese medicine.

Is there such a force in our body that balances us through life and martial arts?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Chi

I believe in "attitudes." I think your mental state definately affects your physical state. I believe if you keep a positive attitude versus giving in to a negative one that you will be more productive.

I don't believe in any mystical or magical force existing within us. I view Chi as the power derived from the sycronization of proper body mechanics (aspect of the 'body'), proper focus (aspect of the 'mind' or 'knowing' in your head what it is you wish to accomplish), and maintaining a state of mental calm by remaining relaxed, using proper breathing, and not letting negative emotions rule the moment(...or the aspect of the 'spirit')
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

For my personal beliefs (as I do follow the Tao) Yes, Chi exists. It can be disrupted, it can be corrected, it can be focused.

for the scientific side of me.. the human body is a maze of electrical impulse.. agreed? those electrical pule follow and allow nerve comunication.. agreed? Does it not stand to follow that major nerve systems would follow major flows of electrical pulse?

Is Chi some mystical force in our world that allows super human abilities to those who wield it? That greatly depends on ones point of view.. I have seen a guy shove a finger through a sealed coke can.. ever tried it? thats pretty hard and would be listed in the "above normal human ability" catagory. Is it through raw training or through focus of Chi? .... I would agrue that they are one in the same.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

At the same time when certain things occur like disasters the human body is able to do super human things. Like when you heard about the person that lifted a car when somebody was ran over, I do not remember the whole story but I remember her lifting the car. Is it possible that we can harness this enery when we don't really need it so that we are able to do such things a puncturing a whole in a solid aluminum can? As it was said, our bodies are polsating with energy, is it possible to harnis this energy?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks

I don't deny people fail to live up to their potential. We're naturally lazy creatures that just do enough to get by. Anyone can push themselves to improve and I actually believe that is one of the values taught by Kenpo; to strive for self-improvement.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

I just think it is possible to condition yourself enoug to be able to do thng like this. Dr. Gyi is able to go down a line of balloon's and pop them one at a time just by using fing whips. And than you have the strong man compition events they are able to move cars amoung other things. So I think that if you can condition yourself enough you can do things that people of the Toa would think would not be possible without "Chi".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny
    I have seen a guy shove a finger through a sealed coke can.. ever tried it? thats pretty hard and would be listed in the "above normal human ability" catagory.
    If he pulls his finger back out and no Coke spills, that's chi!

Seriously, I think you have the right of it. I've experienced it, but don't ask me to explain it. My advice to anyone who is curiouse is to get with a good instructor in an "internal" system and have them help you. Go with an open mind and prove it for yourself.

Thanks

Well, the place where chi is is in the third chakra at the solar plexis. That's the energy center of the body. Your power center.

If you want additional access to it, imagine the area right at your solar plexis and imagine there is what looks like a camera lens there. Imagine further a cord connected to it that drops all the way down to the center of the planet. By doing that you are grounding your chi and giving yourself greater access to it.

Just a thought.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    I just think it is possible to condition yourself enoug to be able to do thng like this. Dr. Gyi is able to go down a line of balloon's and pop them one at a time just by using fing whips. And than you have the strong man compition events they are able to move cars amoung other things. So I think that if you can condition yourself enough you can do things that people of the Toa would think would not be possible without "Chi".
    Sounds like he needs to trim his finger nails. Just kidding. But, yeah... you can condition yourself to be better than you are...self-improvement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Sounds like he needs to trim his finger nails. Just kidding. But, yeah... you can condition yourself to be better than you are...self-improvement.
    LOL. He is a remarkable person, I took another one of his seminars in Bando, he had us doing a King Cobra stike until we could split a peice of paper down the center. It was cool when I finally did it after an hour.

Thanks

I think there needs to be a bit of clarification.

Chi does not make one strong or powerfull or more agile or indestructable.

Correct flow of chi allows the body to do these things, correct use of chi allows the body to build it's potential.

Technally, the Tao Te Ching does not comment on Chi as a force in the body. It is simply commonly commented on as the body's energy.

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

I think there needs to be a bit of clarification.

Chi does not make one strong or powerfull or more agile or indestructable.

Correct flow of chi allows the body to do these things, correct use of chi allows the body to build it's potential.

Technally, the Tao Te Ching does not comment on Chi as a force in the body. It is simply commonly commented on as the body's energy.
    I must have misunderstood. I am probably wrong by trying to compare they flow of the energ of chi and the energy inpules going trough the nerves in your body.

Thanks

I must have misunderstood. I am probably wrong by trying to compare they flow of the energ of chi and the energy inpules going trough the nerves in your body.

ehhhhhhh.... no... you are not mistaken per-sey, and no it is not wrong to compare the two.

Much like you could say that the energy of the body or chi is the same energy that allows communication between nerves, is the same energy that flows from teh earth through our body with our breath, is the same energy that explodes when focues through our bodys when we strike, is the same energy that knits our wounded bodies back together, is the same chi that etc etc etc...

In that sense, chi and the tao are one though it is not directly said by Lao Tsu. Chi is simply a name for the nameless form for the formless and a definition of that which cannot be defined... or rather it is part of.

I honestly believe in the connection of Chi and the Tao because like the Tao we use chi every moment of every day with or without thinking about it, calling it what we will, believing in it or not. It is vital as our breath and used about as commonly.

You can control your breath for greate energy, if you disrupt your breathing you fall, if you end it.. you die. Without the emptyness of your lungs breath is useless, if you do nto keep yourself empty... like your breath into your lungs.. Chi does not flow.

I try to not think too much about it all at once as it starts to make my brain itch.

-JTHM

Thanks

ehhhhhhh.... no... you are not mistaken per-sey, and no it is not wrong to compare the two.

Much like you could say that the energy of the body or chi is the same energy that allows communication between nerves, is the same energy that flows from teh earth through our body with our breath, is the same energy that explodes when focues through our bodys when we strike, is the same energy that knits our wounded bodies back together, is the same chi that etc etc etc...

In that sense, chi and the tao are one though it is not directly said by Lao Tsu. Chi is simply a name for the nameless form for the formless and a definition of that which cannot be defined... or rather it is part of.

I honestly believe in the connection of Chi and the Tao because like the Tao we use chi every moment of every day with or without thinking about it, calling it what we will, believing in it or not. It is vital as our breath and used about as commonly.

You can control your breath for greate energy, if you disrupt your breathing you fall, if you end it.. you die. Without the emptyness of your lungs breath is useless, if you do nto keep yourself empty... like your breath into your lungs.. Chi does not flow.

I try to not think too much about it all at once as it starts to make my brain itch.
    Well don't scratch it it might hurt LOL.

Thanks

Well don't scratch it it might hurt LOL.
    Like I have said.. I tend to think way too much...

Maybe thats why i am perpetualy itchy.

-JTHM

Thanks

This is a cool question and one that I have though about asking myself. Growing up you watch these movies like “Blood sport” and they do crazy things with “dim mok” or however it is spelled. Things like fight blind folded, break only the bottom brick in a stack and others. I just passed this off as yeah right only in movies. But then a few weeks ago I was watching a breaking competition on ESPN 2 or 3 or one of the ESPN’s. I watched a guy rip a license plate in half, and a lady that was maybe 120lbs kick a baseball bat in half. And don’t get me started on acupuncture. I have seen a lot of strange things in my 32 years that I can’t explain and to tell you the truth I don’t know if I really want to know, what, how, why. I have learned to not dismiss a LOT of things that I thought were well BS. Things like Chi, ghosts, aliens, poltergeists and psychics. Then you throw the bible into the mix and a lot of things are being scientifically proven to have happened at about the time the bible said they happened.

I fully believe that there are energies that are always around us, be it cha, “the force” for the Star Wars fans, psychic energy, spirits, ghosts, or even angels, you name it. And I do believe that some are more attuned to receive, or channel some of these energies while most just don’t ever notice.

But that is just my .02
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Well, the place where chi is is in the third chakra at the solar plexis. That's the energy center of the body. Your power center.

If you want additional access to it, imagine the area right at your solar plexis and imagine there is what looks like a camera lens there. Imagine further a cord connected to it that drops all the way down to the center of the planet. By doing that you are grounding your chi and giving yourself greater access to it.

Just a thought.

--Amy
    Acupuncture much? LOL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    This is a cool question and one that I have though about asking myself. Growing up you watch these movies like “Blood sport” and they do crazy things with “dim mok” or however it is spelled. Things like fight blind folded, break only the bottom brick in a stack and others. I just passed this off as yeah right only in movies. But then a few weeks ago I was watching a breaking competition on ESPN 2 or 3 or one of the ESPN’s. I watched a guy rip a license plate in half, and a lady that was maybe 120lbs kick a baseball bat in half. And don’t get me started on acupuncture. I have seen a lot of strange things in my 32 years that I can’t explain and to tell you the truth I don’t know if I really want to know, what, how, why. I have learned to not dismiss a LOT of things that I thought were well BS. Things like Chi, ghosts, aliens, poltergeists and psychics. Then you throw the bible into the mix and a lot of things are being scientifically proven to have happened at about the time the bible said they happened.
    Ehh blind fighting is just annother method of training yourself to fight.. it is nowhere as pretty as it is in the movies but you can get used to using sense of touch and hearing to fight with.

Religion... well that has always been the easiest way of explaining that which is not understood. There is nothing magical or mystical about the use of Chi for healing or parlor tricks like tearing licenspates or kicking through a bat.. simply applications of energy. just because people don't know why it works does not mean that there is anything mystical about it.

I simply accept it as part of what is and find more use in it's application rather than it's definition.

now... learning to use it... thats annother story.

-JTHM

Thanks

Funny story:
    Years ago we got a new student that wanted to learn martial arts because of all the movies he'd seen. He asked about Chi. I did this really exagerated breathing excercise and made a real serious face. Then, unexpectedly, I grabbed his belly with both my hands and shook for a minute. Then I pulled my hands away and cupped them together as if I held something inside. I told him, "Now I have your chi! Hahahaha." And then I started to run for the door. His eyes got really big and he looked around at everyone in a panic. Once of my buddies said, "Hey, you gonna let him run off with your chi?" The new guy took off running after me. He really thought I had captured his 'chi.' I couldn't outrun him because I lost control and started to laugh! I wish I had that on film...

Thanks

OMFG, CC - THAT is SO funny....SO funny, that I must use CAPS on so many of my words.
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links