Thread: Huk Planas Videos

Thanks

Default Huk Planas Videos

Hi.

I have been giving some attention to my katas recently. I made a video of myself doing them and asked for feedback and was told by several people that my angles are off and a few other things. That's fine; that's what I was looking for.

It was suggested to me that I get Huk Planas' videos on the katas, as he goes into great detail and such. I was ready to go purchase them, but noticed that they were $50/tape and only showed half of the kata on each one.

Money is not so free that I jump to spend $100 on videos without some other feedback.

I don't want to keep doing my katas wrong, nor do I want to do them blindly, but I also don't want to spend more money on videos and get burned on them. (I've had that happen a couple of times. Money right down the drain.)

Feedback would be appreciated.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Huk Planas Videos

Well here is my completely unprofessional opinion

Larry Tatums forms tapes are available very cheap on the century martial arts website...sometimes as low as 5 bucks each.

My personal review of these tapes would be that they are a great review of the forms for a quick "go by." They tend to run through the form rather fast and require a lot of; pause....stop....rewind....pause....play...pause.. ..rewind

Huk Planas forms videos in my opinion are great on history, the whys, the deeper methods, reverses and opposites in the forms. I have long 3-4 of his series and I think they are great for "insight" into these forms. They would be easier to me to go back and get an in-depth study of the form.

Mohamed tabatabai's are good, a lot like Tatums and cheap as well
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Are any of Huk's available anywhere else less expensively?

I have Tatum's kata tapes and I don't care for them as much as his technique tapes.

I was looking for a little more depth.

I'm ready to go to another level with the katas; beyond just knowing how to move. I want to move in the right direction, thinking about the right concept and knowing why I'm doing it. Know what I mean?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

His tapes are excellent. I don't own any but viewed 4,5, & 6 from others at the studio. Heck I took 3 pages of notes on 5 & 6 alone. If you can afford them then purchase them. If you know somone who has any video view it first and then make your conclusion after seeing them.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong

I have Tatum's kata tapes and I don't care for them as much as his technique tapes.

I'm ready to go to another level with the katas; beyond just knowing how to move. I want to move in the right direction, thinking about the right concept and knowing why I'm doing it. Know what I mean?

--Amy
    If that is the case I would invest (slowly but surely) in Mr. Planas videos. I think the analytical, historical, and physical break-downs of the forms are the best I have seen on video. They ARE pricey in my opinion, but I think that at one point in time the VHS were on clearance about 10 bucks cheaper then the DVDs. I do not think they are available through any distributors for price breaks because Mr. Planas owns the exclusive rights to the videos.
    www.hunterskarate.com

Thanks

--Amy
    I rented the Huk tapes through Goldstar video, and they are fantastic tapes. Try the rental route, and if you like it, buy it later.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

I've not heard of goldstar video. I'll look them up.

Maybe ebay too. You never know.

I'm glad to hear such good feedback on the videos. It kills me to have to spend that much money on a tape, but I guess I can get out my camera and start getting ready to sell a bunch of MY stuff on ebay to pay for them.

Thanks!

--Amy

Thanks

Arrrr! Be wary matey, for eBay be evil! Evils, I say! Arrr!

(Mostly because I find lotds of shinys there )

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu
    Arrrr! Be wary matey, for eBay be evil! Evils, I say! Arrr!

(Mostly because I find lotds of shinys there )
    hahaha you too? My financial advisor (cough cough lovely wife) gets pretty pissed sometimes when the paypals come out of the bank account.
    www.hunterskarate.com

Thanks

its all sooooooo easy
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

I've not heard of goldstar video. I'll look them up.

Maybe ebay too. You never know.

I'm glad to hear such good feedback on the videos. It kills me to have to spend that much money on a tape, but I guess I can get out my camera and start getting ready to sell a bunch of MY stuff on ebay to pay for them.

Thanks!

--Amy
    Here you go:

http://www.goldstarvideo.com/

If you have alot of interest in videos, get a bigger package, the per rental price decreases.
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Hi.

I have been giving some attention to my katas recently. I made a video of myself doing them and asked for feedback and was told by several people that my angles are off and a few other things. That's fine; that's what I was looking for.

It was suggested to me that I get Huk Planas' videos on the katas, as he goes into great detail and such. I was ready to go purchase them, but noticed that they were $50/tape and only showed half of the kata on each one.

Money is not so free that I jump to spend $100 on videos without some other feedback.

I don't want to keep doing my katas wrong, nor do I want to do them blindly, but I also don't want to spend more money on videos and get burned on them. (I've had that happen a couple of times. Money right down the drain.)

Feedback would be appreciated.

--Amy
    Amy,

I find Mr. Planas' tapes very thorough, and excellent. I think he only has the DVD's available now. The DVD's, I believe are 40 bucks a pop. (Check the parkerplanaslineage.com site).

I have all of the tapes through Form 4. I'm currently a first brown belt.

I have watched the tapes, several times. There is so much information on the tapes, presented in Mr. Planas' manner (very deadpanned), it is tough to pick up how important each thing he says on the tape. Mr. Planas uses an incredible 'economy of explanation' on the tapes. He says only those things that are important; so everything he says is important.

After watching the tapes, taking some notes, and thinking I understood what the material he presented, I managed to take some private lessons with Mr. Planas. When he explains a topic in person, again, you can begin to understand how important it was when he presented it on the tape.

The tapes are great ... but I can't recommend more highly a private lesson or two, if you can arrange it. (I happened to notice Mr. Planas will be about 100 miles north of Sacramento in early March).

Mike

P.S. I was terrified of the idea of a private lesson w/ Mr. Planas. It was an unfounded fear. He is very thoughtful and thorough as a teacher. Good Luck

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I have seen some of Mr. Planas' forms videos and they were excellent and served me well. I reccomend that you buy them from Mr. Planas. I'd reccomend the DVDs over the VHS of course. I think all his stuff is now on DVD. This website has them but says to inquire ahead
    http://www.parkerplanaslineage.com/Merchandise.html

If you have opened up a studio now, I'd say get some for the studio and write off the expense.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links