Thread: EPAK: What is EPAK?

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,155 Posts

Default EPAK: What is EPAK?

What is EPAK?
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: EPAK: What is EPAK?

EPAK: Ed Parker's American Kenpo.

A title that many of the people who adhere to the exact curriculum(s) that Mr. Parker approved while he was alive apply to their system.

It's my understanding that Mr. Parker himself disaproved of the art getting stamped with his name, he said that he didn't want the students to study "Ed Parker", but his art, American Kenpo...and make it their own. In MY way of thinking, calling it "Ed Parker's American Kenpo" is a feature of the rampant 'instructor worship' that centered on Mr. Parker...and only got worse after his death.
    This, I think, is also the root cause of the IKKA falling to pieces almost before the funeral was over... people connected the strongest identification with the man, instead of what he created and worked so hard for. Once he was gone, so were so many people's reasons for belonging.

It also lead to the cannonization of HIS curriculum. Something he also said he never wanted. I think that the traditionalization of the curriculum is the lingering aftereffect of the "instructor worship"......
    "you can't change nothin, because you're Not Mr. Parker".

Just my outlook....and I know it's unpopular; but I don't think it's too far off base.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    EPAK: Ed Parker's American Kenpo.

A title that many of the people who adhere to the exact curriculum(s) that Mr. Parker approved while he was alive apply to their system.

It's my understanding that Mr. Parker himself disaproved of the art getting stamped with his name, he said that he didn't want the students to study "Ed Parker", but his art, American Kenpo...

I agree. It is not so much an adherance to the curriculum as much as it is to the principals of motion SGM Ed. Parker put forward. Certain mechanics that are somewhat left out of other arts or are viewed as mystefied are broken down into biomechanics. Things like bracing angles, the Universal Pattern, Outer Rim Theory etc. Once you take the curriculum and literally tear it apart then ensuring you are applying these theories new doors open and the technique is no longer the same technique. I love the way Doc describes it. We aren't only Martial Artists but also Martial Scientists
    "Say hello to Susan"
    -SGM Ed Parker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Casey_Sutherland
    I agree. It is not so much an adherance to the curriculum as much as it is to the principals of motion SGM Ed. Parker put forward.
    1. Certain mechanics that are somewhat left out of other arts or are viewed as mystefied are broken down into biomechanics.
    2.Things like bracing angles, the Universal Pattern, Outer Rim Theory etc.
    Once you take the curriculum and literally tear it apart then ensuring you are applying these theories new doors open and the technique is no longer the same technique. I love the way Doc describes it. We aren't only Martial Artists but also Martial Scientists
    1. i think this is an ignorant view of other arts. if anything is mystified, it is because the instructor doesnt know. this can happen in any art.
    when i see someone say that american kenpo is a bunch of techniques that teaches you how to fight, i think they are missing the boat as well.
    you might be surprised to learn how in-depth some arts get with the study of movement.

2. these are concepts that are particular to american kenpo......a simple way of putting together a lesson that can be repeated.
    all martial arts have a part that is science......learning where and when to hit is not particular to one art.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    1. i think this is an ignorant view of other arts. if anything is mystified, it is because the instructor doesnt know. this can happen in any art.
    when i see someone say that american kenpo is a bunch of techniques that teaches you how to fight, i think they are missing the boat as well.
    you might be surprised to learn how in-depth some arts get with the study of movement.

2. these are concepts that are particular to american kenpo......a simple way of putting together a lesson that can be repeated.
    all martial arts have a part that is science......learning where and when to hit is not particular to one art.
    I am in no way intending to be ignorant. In my experience I have just seen many ideals put together with the exact meaning not known, be it to instructors ineducation or just simply that the meaning has been changed through the passing of hands. "I never said that epak is a bunch of techniques that teaches you how to fight." Quite the opposite. I mean that epak focuses a great deal on the "why?" Delving into mechanics and the body more so than some arts. I am not specifically attacking an art. this is a generalization. As with the concepts I discussed, I don't agree that it is a "simple" way of putting a lesson together. Sure other arts have a science quotient to them but to me the science area of kenpo is more discussed.
    "Say hello to Susan"
    -SGM Ed Parker

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links