Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attacking Mace

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Attacking Mace

Attacking Mace (Front- Right Step-Through Punch)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock comes at you with a right step-through punch.

2. Step your right foot to 6 o'clock into a left neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you execute a left inward block to your attacker's triceps.

3. Pivot into a left forward bow as you execute a right punch to your attacker's right ribs. (Your left hand should remain as a check at your attacker's elbow.) This punch should turn your attacker to expose the centerline.

4. Circle your right hand clockwise around your attacker's right wrist. Instantly pull your attacker's right arm down past your right hip and execute a right front kick to your attacker's groin. (Your left hand should return to chamber). (This kick is a front kick if you turned them with your punch; a round kick if not).

5. Land in a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock. Pivot into a right forward bow as you execute a left vertical snap punch to your attacker's right kidney. (If you plant your right knee inside of, and over your attacker's right knee, the punch and subsequent buckle will drop them to the ground.)
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

kickboxinglover (11-04-2013),nelson (12-21-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Attacking Mace

interesting...

we do this one a little different. In step 4, instead of kicking the groin, we throw a front thrust kick to the floating ribs (same target as the punch we just threw). The rationale as I was taught is that we broke the ribs with the punch, now we're going to drive them into his chest cavity with the kick. This is where the tech. ends for us, we don't do the left punch and buckle.
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpotex View Post
    interesting...

we do this one a little different. In step 4, instead of kicking the groin, we throw a front thrust kick to the floating ribs (same target as the punch we just threw).
    That is how I teach it as well.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

The right punch to the ribs causes the attacker to move back and allows the right hand to track down the attackers punching hand for a wrist grab.

I dont strike the ribs per say, but since I am transistioning into a forward bow, I strike more on a downward diagonial path to the hip pointer. You know the spot ( the one we press in wings of silk).
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

nelson (12-21-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post

I dont strike the ribs per say, but since I am transistioning into a forward bow, I strike more on a downward diagonial path to the hip pointer. You know the spot ( the one we press in wings of silk).
    Yep, many do it that way. That definitely works as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    Yep, many do it that way. That definitely works as well.
    How have you been Brother Jamie ?
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

How have you been Brother Jamie ?
    Really good Brad.

My daughters are excited as can be about Christmas, of course.

Training is also going well. I have some amazing black belt fighters that keep me "on my toes" in fighting.

How are you buddy?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    Really good Brad.

My daughters are excited as can be about Christmas, of course.

Training is also going well. I have some amazing black belt fighters that keep me "on my toes" in fighting.

How are you buddy?
    Jamie,

Well things are well here, My wife ( Mirela) is due with our little girl the first week of Feb, so Im staying close to home right now. Back in October I did a seminar out in Ca, and Last weekend Dr. Dave came out to Nebraska and did a seminar here.

Im planning my seminars for the up coming year, and I hope to make it up your way when I do the New England area. Please let me know when you schedule your events so I can look at the dates.

Talk to you soon Brother
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I like to graft Tracy's "Turning the Rod" onto the end of Parker's "Attacking Mace".

Kenpo Gary

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Gary View Post
    I like to graft Tracy's "Turning the Rod" onto the end of Parker's "Attacking Mace".

Kenpo Gary
    Could you give us a break down of the graft?

Thanks
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

some ideas for discussion:

1. If the block cancels height,width,depth as it is designed, then the attacker's body will be turned and there will be no target for the front kick. A roundhouse kick to the groin would be required here.

2. Punching against the ribs will not expose the centerline.

3. There is no wrist-grab. If you attack the ribs with any kind of force (i.e. you punch is effective) then the attacker's arm will retract back suddenly to cover the the site of injury. Even if you tap him the reaction will be the same. The arm will certainly not be left extended out for you to grab.

4. Blocking above the elbow (triceps) has been discussed on this site before. It is equally, if not more effective to block below the elbow at the wrist. In addition to this, blocking above the elbow against an attacker with longish arms means that you get punched in the face because you haven't created enough distance.

5. With regard to #3 - push-drag backwards to increase distance and place the block below the elbow. Then push-drag back in for the punch to the ribs. The use of push-drags in conjunction with striking makes things more effective, so why not teach these mechanics straight up?

thoughts?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamesB For This Useful Post:

Doc (11-14-2010),Drew (12-07-2007),Mikael151 (11-15-2010)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Very good points James! But I guess I might think that be because we've both been infected by SL4....

With regard to #4, I have to disagree a little. You can use the BAM as a BAM-Block, which begins to move into double and triple checking. This not only blocks the strike, but it controls the attacker's width, canceling a follow-up with the left. Now you have plenty of time to complete the footwork. And, I would probably execute the left extended block at the tricep tendon, blocking there continues to cancel their width. Plus, if you are blocking at the wrist, it is going to be a big push-drag forward with the reverse punch. Which means you are surrendering a lot of space to your attacker. As a yellow belt, fine. But at a more advanced level, probably not necessary.

Those are my thoughts. My guess is 'da Man will roll into this thread sooner or later.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew For This Useful Post:

Doc (11-14-2010),JamesB (12-17-2007)

Ray
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    some ideas for discussion:

1. If the block cancels height,width,depth as it is designed, then the attacker's body will be turned and there will be no target for the front kick. A roundhouse kick to the groin would be required here.

2. Punching against the ribs will not expose the centerline.

3. There is no wrist-grab. If you attack the ribs with any kind of force (i.e. you punch is effective) then the attacker's arm will retract back suddenly to cover the the site of injury. Even if you tap him the reaction will be the same. The arm will certainly not be left extended out for you to grab.

4. Blocking above the elbow (triceps) has been discussed on this site before. It is equally, if not more effective to block below the elbow at the wrist. In addition to this, blocking above the elbow against an attacker with longish arms means that you get punched in the face because you haven't created enough distance.

5. With regard to #3 - push-drag backwards to increase distance and place the block below the elbow. Then push-drag back in for the punch to the ribs. The use of push-drags in conjunction with striking makes things more effective, so why not teach these mechanics straight up?

thoughts?
    I'm in agreement with much of what you say. I've come to teach stepping to 10:30 instead of stepping back.

Instead of #3 (wrist grab) it becomes an outward extended block movement to get the right hand up to the shoulder grab and anchor down on.

I also teach the roundhouse kick. But since we're stepping in towards 10:30, the target may change - just my way of emphasizing targeting to my students.

As of late, I've added a retraction of the right roundhouse kick back to chamber at my left knee followed by a knife edge thrust to the back of attacker's right leg...one of my young students decided it was "sword and hammer" with the foot.

Before I added the knife edge kick, we used to drop into a kneel to the back of the attacker's right knee (to buckle them).

But that's just a temporary fad I'm going through.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (11-15-2010)

Thanks

Hitting the same target twice seems like a waste to me. Sounds like an interesting technique though...
    The above is just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

I'd like to share my take on this great technique:

1. I learned to step forward with the left to 11 and deliver a strong inward block at that 45-degree angle. This will stop the attack and push the attacker off balance and open up that torso. As I step forward, my leg makes contact with the attacker's front leg to check it.

2. We then do the punch to the kidney or ribs as written, pivoting to a forward bow and keeping the left hand up to check the punching arm.

3. Instead of circling the punching hand to grab a wrist, we circle it up to the right shoulder of the attacker and grab there, and our arm continues to check the attacker's right arm. We then round kick to the torso.

4. As we plant that kick down, we again check that front leg of the attacker with it.

5. And then finally we punch to the right kidney as written. However, I sometimes like to strike here with a palm heel. With this I can then easily grab the opponent and graft in Evading the Storm by starting with a left knee to the attacker's thigh (I mentioned this in another thread).

I really enjoy reading all the variations people have on certain techniques, can't wait to read more.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Could you give us a break down of the graft?

Thanks
    Attacking Mace + Turning the Rod
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock comes at you with a right step-through punch.

2. Step your right foot to 6 o'clock into a left neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you execute a left inward block to your attacker's triceps.

3. Pivot into a left forward bow as you execute a right punch to your attacker's right ribs. (Your left hand should remain as a check at your attacker's elbow.) This punch should turn your attacker to expose the centerline.

4. Circle your right hand clockwise around your attacker's right wrist. Right hand throws attackers right punch down towards 11:00.

5. Right roundhouse kick to opponent's head.

Kenpo Gary

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpo Gary For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-18-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    Hitting the same target twice seems like a waste to me. Sounds like an interesting technique though...
    I agree. The first shot in our response is designed to take out our attacker's respiratory system. The second punch (to the kidney) is meant to affect an autonomic response causing their body to shut down. Also, if I haven't exposed their center line enough to provide a good target for a kick, I knee their thigh instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Hi! sorry for my slow response, been real busy lately..

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    With regard to #4, I have to disagree a little. You can use the BAM as a BAM-Block, which begins to move into double and triple checking. This not only blocks the strike, but it controls the attacker's width, canceling a follow-up with the left
    So you are using a BAM-block instead of parries here? I unfortunately get the two mixed up and must work on this. I am starting to work this technique with an initial left inward-parry to the outside of the attacker's punching arm, which continues to the right shoulder-BAM. Would it be better to use a BAM-block instead of a parry? And where would I strike to, the forearm or wrist?

Now you have plenty of time to complete the footwork. And, I would probably execute the left extended block at the tricep tendon, blocking there continues to cancel their width.
    Not sure if you mean right extended block here? anyhow..

ok so my parry (or BAM-block?) goes to the lower arm, but my blocks can go to the upper arm once the arm has been deflected?

Plus, if you are blocking at the wrist, it is going to be a big push-drag forward with the reverse punch. Which means you are surrendering a lot of space to your attacker. As a yellow belt, fine. But at a more advanced level, probably not necessary.
    I like creating distance in this technique :-) but I see your point here, thanks for discussing

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

Staying within the basic framework of the technique, even though our interpretation is somewhat different from most, let's examine some of the things addressed here.

Stepping forward would be inappropriate for a technique at this level, and steps outside the boundaries of the basic skills attempting to be taught. All striking attacks 'move away' from the attacker, per the yellow commandment, "Distance is your best friend." Not a bad idea at any level, but particularly for lesser skilled beginners.

Parries are inappropriate when moving away from an attacker, and are only used when moving forward on the clock, and when supported by a firm blocking action. Parries, by design, are never to be used singularly without that support, and do not control any of an attackers dimensions.

At default level, a basic left inward block will do. Next level will bring a right extended to a left inward double checking action. Technique completion level brings an AOD response leading with a left BAM Block, to a right extended outward block, freeing the left hand for an Offensive BAM strike to the scapula, (re-assigning muscles) just prior to the right Vertical Punch to the rib-cage.

Striking the rib-cage creates a specific reaction that will anatomical preclude the so-called grab to the wrist, and therefore will deny access to a subsequent kick to the same area. The 'startle reflex' position of the elbow drawn to the rib-cage is one of the strongest postures in human anatomy.

Stick out your arm as if you have just thrown a right punch. Simulate being struck in the ribs, by 'jerking' your arm back and anchoring your elbow to your rib-cage, while shuffling your hips backwards as your body leans slightly forward. Have someone pull your arm from your body. They may move your entire body, but your arm will remain anchored.

This action obviously negates the front kick, which is wholly anatomically inappropriate and unavailable. Striking the same place consecutively absent an intermediate action is not feasible. Unless anatomically restricted from doing so, the autonomic nervous system will always seek to reflexively and instinctively 'cover' the assault area, making consecutive strikes to the same target in these circumstances unlikely.

The appropriate physical action is the right roundhouse kick to the left pelvic area or bladder, for the posture created by the previous actions. The results will be devastating and will turn the attacker to his left, controlling his width and restricting his ability to follow up or retaliate even more, and setting him up for our finishing move, which is a right outward downward hand-sword to the base of the rear right side of the neck.

Report:
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Brother John (12-18-2007),Dr. Dave in da house (12-18-2007),Hunter (12-18-2007),Mikael151 (11-15-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Staying within the basic framework of the technique, even though our interpretation is somewhat different from most, let's examine some of the things addressed here.

Stepping forward would be inappropriate for a technique at this level, and steps outside the boundaries of the basic skills attempting to be taught. All striking attacks 'move away' from the attacker, per the yellow commandment, "Distance is your best friend." Not a bad idea at any level, but particularly for lesser skilled beginners.

Parries are inappropriate when moving away from an attacker, and are only used when moving forward on the clock, and when supported by a firm blocking action. Parries, by design, are never to be used singularly without that support, and do not control any of an attackers dimensions.

At default level, a basic left inward block will do. Next level will bring a right extended to a left inward double checking action. Technique completion level brings an AOD response leading with a left BAM Block, to a right extended outward block, freeing the left hand for an Offensive BAM strike to the scapula, (re-assigning muscles) just prior to the right Vertical Punch to the rib-cage.

Striking the rib-cage creates a specific reaction that will anatomical preclude the so-called grab to the wrist, and therefore will deny access to a subsequent kick to the same area. The 'startle reflex' position of the elbow drawn to the rib-cage is one of the strongest postures in human anatomy.

Stick out your arm as if you have just thrown a right punch. Simulate being struck in the ribs, by 'jerking' your arm back and anchoring your elbow to your rib-cage, while shuffling your hips backwards as your body leans slightly forward. Have someone pull your arm from your body. They may move your entire body, but your arm will remain anchored.

This action obviously negates the front kick, which is wholly anatomically inappropriate and unavailable. Striking the same place consecutively absent an intermediate action is not feasible. Unless anatomically restricted from doing so, the autonomic nervous system will always seek to reflexively and instinctively 'cover' the assault area, making consecutive strikes to the same target in these circumstances unlikely.

The appropriate physical action is the right roundhouse kick to the left pelvic area or bladder, for the posture created by the previous actions. The results will be devastating and will turn the attacker to his left, controlling his width and restricting his ability to follow up or retaliate even more, and setting him up for our finishing move, which is a right outward downward hand-sword to the base of the rear right side of the neck.

Report:
    I will work this tonight Doc and report tomorrow sir

My Respects
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links