Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Connor Style Kenpo

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Connor Style Kenpo

Boy know i am totally confused here- i thought iread maybe not that ed parker's first kenpo system was bought by the tracy's? (am i wrong here?)

can some clearify the kenpo system? Sgm parker then who from there, you read so many differnet stories on the internet.

Thanks

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpo69 View Post
    Boy know i am totally confused here- i thought iread maybe not that ed parker's first kenpo system was bought by the tracy's? (am i wrong here?)

can some clearify the kenpo system? Sgm parker then who from there, you read so many differnet stories on the internet.

Thanks

Confusing for sure. I have Motobu's book, Mitose's book, Sam Kuoha's (Chow's successor) books, several Parker books, and the Traco manuals - and they all are different. Though they all have similarities, the way they are systemized vary. On top of that, many adherants to these systems claim to be the only true authentic system.

It's like lightning striking a forest creating a fire. As the fire spreads the original flame is lost as the fire grows and spreads. Then someone claims to have the authentic flame, or the most powerful flame, or the one true flame...

Over the years I have gotten to train in many kenpo/kempo systems with various practitioners and have yet to find one system that wasn't influenced or adapted from another.

PorterKenpo

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PorterKenpo For This Useful Post:

bradwhalen (02-01-2009),toejoe2k (02-28-2009)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpo69 View Post

Thanks
    The Tracys never "bought" their Kenpo system from Mr. Parker. What they say is they recorded all the original techniques (around 600), gave most of them names, and refused to change from that when Ed Parker went other directions. So they look at what they are doing as closer to the source and a better preserved version of Kenpo.

I would take it one step back to Chow. He was one of those guys that had an idea that later lead to an entire movement. But Kenpo was never organized from the top down. Systemization came in stops and starts in Kenpo. So, there really is no beautifully cultivated family tree to exactly trace the transformation of Chow's ideas across time and people.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing;
    drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
    there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
    and drinking largely sobers us again. --Alexander Pope

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Connor Style Kenpo

Sorry for posting so late, I just found this site.
    I have a little insite into this topic. I studied at Traco and was a manager of the Glendale school for over 5 years.
    Master Connor was a private man so i will not go into his personal life, but i will say he was the most profound person i've ever met. The wealth of knowlage that man had could take many o' life times to learn. He would constantly make ajustments to the system to make the system more compleat .
    I came in to Traco as a black belt in Shorinji kempo, boxing,a brown in judo and i was 19years old ( yes atitude) after my first sparing class i was hooked . I resieved more concepts in fighting in that first class then in my first 3 years in Shorinji. One of the things i love abought Master Connors system is what i call and teach is the " What If Priciple" The variations on a technique are not just to have somthing else to do it's for a reason , is the person taller, shorter,greater reach, you get the idea.
    Iwas privlaged to be able to have studied with some great instructors their,Mr. Connor II, Mr. Stanly, Mr.Smith, Mr. Larence, Mr, Hanson.
    Hope this helps a bit . Keep learning.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royal lion For This Useful Post:

PorterKenpo (02-27-2009),Santiago (05-29-2013)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to the thread Royal lion. Do you still train Traco kenpo? My instructor and Mr. Stanley trained together under Mr. Connor. He's a good guy... he gave me several pictures of Mr. Connor for my dojo.

PorterKenpo

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Royal lion View Post
    Sorry for posting so late, I just found this site.
    I have a little insite into this topic. I studied at Traco and was a manager of the Glendale school for over 5 years.
    Master Connor was a private man so i will not go into his personal life, but i will say he was the most profound person i've ever met. The wealth of knowlage that man had could take many o' life times to learn. He would constantly make ajustments to the system to make the system more compleat .
    I came in to Traco as a black belt in Shorinji kempo, boxing,a brown in judo and i was 19years old ( yes atitude) after my first sparing class i was hooked . I resieved more concepts in fighting in that first class then in my first 3 years in Shorinji. One of the things i love abought Master Connors system is what i call and teach is the " What If Priciple" The variations on a technique are not just to have somthing else to do it's for a reason , is the person taller, shorter,greater reach, you get the idea.
    Iwas privlaged to be able to have studied with some great instructors their,Mr. Connor II, Mr. Stanly, Mr.Smith, Mr. Larence, Mr, Hanson.
    Hope this helps a bit . Keep learning.
    No need for apologies sir, welcome to the site

Buckle up and enjoy the ride!!
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PorterKenpo View Post
    Hi John,
    Nice to meet you.

I'll try to give a quick overview. The techniques are arranged in order of the animals, as opposed to many kenpo systems where the animal influence is dispersed. For example, yellow and orange belt emphasise tiger. The techniques at this level tend to be more linear and agressive - with hard "striking" blocks. Purple belt is crane material. These techniques tend be more lateral in movement, and employ softer blocking movements such as parries, hooking parries, folding arm blocks. This level also uses more evasion and kicking than the previous level. Blue belt is leopard material. Leopard uses angular movement in that it will move off line, then pounce back toward the opponent to disrupt his balance. Green represents dragon. At this level the student learns to ebb and flow with the opponent. When the opponent advances - dragon retreats; when the opponent retreats dragon advances. This level will tend to use more twisting, coiling, and long fist techniques. Brown levels are represented by the snake and have darting viper movements and/or constricting python movements. Simultaneous blocking and striking, pressure points, and weapon use is the halmark of these levels.

The techniques of the various levels are similar to, or the same as, many Tracy or EPAK techniques because of their same root. They often even share the same names - only their grouping and emphasis vary from their sister systems. It should also noted that the traco 5-animals are less immitative than many of the Chinese 5-animal systems, in that they borrow the principals and concept of the animal, but do not try to act like a tiger - for example.

Your friend in kenpo,
    PorterKenpo
    WOW! Thanks for the info! That's great stuff. VERY interesting to me, as this is very close to how I've structured my kids curriculum. Each belt has an animal represented along with a themed weapon for the techniques. I'm going to have to go read some of the links posted to find out some more about it.

Thanks again for the info!

Sean

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scarey View Post
    WOW! Thanks for the info! That's great stuff. VERY interesting to me, as this is very close to how I've structured my kids curriculum. Each belt has an animal represented along with a themed weapon for the techniques. I'm going to have to go read some of the links posted to find out some more about it.

Thanks again for the info!

Sean

Scary,
    You are welcome. If you are interested in more info on the Traco system just send me a private message and I can fill in more details.

PorterKenpo

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Connor Style Kenpo

Quote Originally Posted by PorterKenpo View Post
    Welcome to the thread Royal lion. Do you still train Traco kenpo? My instructor and Mr. Stanley trained together under Mr. Connor. He's a good guy... he gave me several pictures of Mr. Connor for my dojo.

PorterKenpo
    Mr. Stanly was one of the driving forces that kept me going . Small in stature Big in heart. He could take a technque and personalize it. He took abig rough guy like me and taught me to be fluid.
    I still study "all" my charts and when i teach , it's mostly Mr.Connors stuff with a lot of Shorinjr Kempo added.
    Thanks for bringing back alot of great memories.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links