Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Chinese Kempo?

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,156 Posts

Default What is Chinese Kempo?

What is it? What makes it different from all the other "ken/mpos" out there?

How many styles are there? Who is a noted practitioner?

Where can one find it?
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What is Chinese Kempo?

Bob White posted on this some time ago on martial talk.
    the just of it was Master Parker and some of his studnets trained in hun gar
    with james woo or jimmy wing wo I dont remember with one but it was in the 60's and it shows in the kenpo of that time .

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

When I first took Kenpo in 1972, it was called Chinese Kenpo. It was Ed Parker's Kenpo with many of the same techniques (or very similar ones) and forms as outlined in Infinite Insights vol. 5. At that time there were also other techniques that were later removed or altered by Mr. Parker. My understanding is that today's Tracy system is quite similar to what was called Chinese Kenpo back then.

in the early 1960's, Mr. Parker researched several Chinese systems, which he combined with what he'd learned from Prof. Chow and called that combination Chinese Kenpo. When he later re-organized his system, he wanted to emphasize the distinclty American slant he put on it and then he called it American Kenpo.

I think one prominent Kenpoist who still adheres to much of the Chinese Kenpo system is Mr. LaBounty.

Chris

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Armstrong For This Useful Post:

Doc (10-30-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Arrow Re: What is Chinese Kempo?

FYI--here is the web site for the organization Mr. LaBounty co-founded, the NCKKA (National Chinese Kenpo Karate Association). I believe it is now run by one of his Black Belts, Mr. Gary Swan, in Universal City, TX (suburb of San Antonio).
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

AKKA is chinese kenpo check them out as well .

Thanks

Smile Re: What is Chinese Kempo?

Hi, At the Gathering it was my pleasure to talk to Grand Master Ming Lum he is truly a fine gentleman.

Regards, Gary

Thanks

It is also worth mentioning that Kara-Ho Kempo has a major Chinese influence especially in the techniques and "sets" past 2nd degree BB- So while it seems to be a hotly debated topic, (on the internet at least) whether Professor Chow learned Kung-Fu from his father, it is all over the place in Kara-Ho

Sorry this does not directly fit in but thought it worth mentioning!

Have a great night!

james
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Thanks for letting us know more about the art.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,556 Times in 2,168 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe
    It is also worth mentioning that Kara-Ho Kempo has a major Chinese influence especially in the techniques and "sets" past 2nd degree BB- So while it seems to be a hotly debated topic, (on the internet at least) whether Professor Chow learned Kung-Fu from his father, it is all over the place in Kara-Ho

Sorry this does not directly fit in but thought it worth mentioning!

Have a great night!

james
    That's interesting. Kara-Ho is very similar to Bok Fu Do. The higher you go in the system, the more chinese influence there is in the movement. I was struck by this when I read the article in IKF. BB and above is much more kung fu than kenpo.

Thanks

Interesting- I will have to do some research on Bok-Fu-Do, it sounds familiar.

The movements we practice are still fairly compact but the circular flow and using the hips on EVERY move seems soo chinese- There really are not any stances at these levels though so obviously that is different.

I recently had the opportunity to work out with (read: punching dummy) our top instructor and the movements were so fluid and compact- it was basically a randori type situation. First he would do his "sets" on us slowly in a set situation, then he would have us attack whenever and however we wanted (there were two of us). We went about 1/2 speed just for self-preservation.

I noticed a few things in between getting hit in the groin and being thrown/swept.

His movement never stopped-
    He was relaxed the entire time-
    He always kept one of his "ukes" in between he and the other "uke"-
    He was pretty low to the ground the whole time-

I know these are not unique qualities to any one system but I have never seen anyone move like that... It seriously motivates me!

Anyhow, I ramble---

Have a great night everyone!

james

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    Interesting- I will have to do some research on Bok-Fu-Do, it sounds familiar.

The movements we practice are still fairly compact but the circular flow and using the hips on EVERY move seems soo chinese- There really are not any stances at these levels though so obviously that is different.

I recently had the opportunity to work out with (read: punching dummy) our top instructor and the movements were so fluid and compact- it was basically a randori type situation. First he would do his "sets" on us slowly in a set situation, then he would have us attack whenever and however we wanted (there were two of us). We went about 1/2 speed just for self-preservation.

I noticed a few things in between getting hit in the groin and being thrown/swept.

His movement never stopped-
    He was relaxed the entire time-
    He always kept one of his "ukes" in between he and the other "uke"-
    He was pretty low to the ground the whole time-

I know these are not unique qualities to any one system but I have never seen anyone move like that... It seriously motivates me!

Anyhow, I ramble---

Have a great night everyone!

james
    You could not have made a better assessment of Chinese Kenpo as I know it. I have practiced what has been termed Chinese Kenpo since 1985. Your description of your top instructor's movements during training are exactly what I was taught by my instructor.

My CK lineage travels from my former, immediate instructor, Stephen B. Hill, to Roland Roemer, one of the instructors promoted by James Mitose in Chicago, IL in 1982, to Master Dan Babcock, and finally to the Tracys. I'm not sure where the morph occurred during the timeline. The Kenpo I learned in the 80's is mainly Chinese Kenpo with a little bit of Kosho Shorei sprinkled in.

I see many similarities, yet subtle differences between Chinese Kenpo and Tracy Kenpo. One of the things that Chinese Kenpo is most noted for is the quick, compact hand strikes, low kicks and equally low and wide stances; when I look at Tracy Kenpo, I see high kicks and higher stances.

The art I learned is categorized as a "soft" art, as there is no kiai-ing during the forms or techniques practice; More focus is placed on proper breathing during the execution of the techniques.

Most of the techniques are in line with the Tracy Kenpo techniques as well; the forms are slightly different.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    What is it?
    Close (inside) direct flowing self-defense with no wasted motion...

What makes it different from all the other "ken/mpos" out there?
    Chow/Chun System (Chinese Kempo): Close (inside) direct flowing self-defense with no wasted motion that is devastatingly effective without fancy movement or fancy kicks and where the lineage comes direct from William K.S. Chow and Bill Chun Sr.

Who is a noted practitioner? Where can one find it?
    (Master) Bill Chun Jr.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,344 Times in 1,415 Posts

For the 3rd time in the history of this thread, I have tried to submit a scholarly post on the differences between the M and N, and the Japanese lineages that warrant distinction in the context of that conversation. And for the 3rd time, been timed out. Screw it.

In short, N = either swordsmanship, or hand arts coming down from Chow and Hawaii.

M = hand arts from Japan, with heavy influence from China. 2 cats in Japan used the phrase Chinese Kempo, each saying the other was full of it, each having learned some of their stuff from Chinese masters who they subsequently brought over to japan to teach seminars and support their claims. Each was accused by other sources as having been a spy for the Japanese, being responsible for horrible things in China (like Japanese SS members), only to have other sources say they were never there, never did it, etc. Big drama; lotsa politics.

Each teaches keMpo in small tidbits. Coupla move combos that combine atemi with jujittie-looking controls and throws, purportedly influenced by pakua, chin na, etc. They couldn't stand each other, and their surviving disciples carry on the rivalry through politicking, causing some to despise both.

One of them was a master in several traditional Japanese systems, including some stuff related to the lines associated with the ninjutsu guys. He was almost forgotten as being associated with them, until a rivalry in ninjutsu leadership brought a splinter faction to him looking to learn more and gain more clout via association. Fortunately or unfortunately, it is through this association that much of his material survives. However, in addition to his ninjittie stuff, he was also an accomplished and respected staff and kempo/Chinese Boxing practitioner.

The other guy was either a saint or war criminal -- depending on who you ask -- who founded a conservatively-minded pseudo-religion and martial art, based on his philosophical and political ideas and martial arts experience. His martial art has developed a worldwide following, and is particularly popular among the Japanese right.

The two guys are Doshin Sho, and Kimbei Sato. I've trained in both lineages/systems, and have great respect for each. They are distinctly NOT the same as the keMpo or keNpo from Hawaii.

If I can find some links to vids of the differences for comparison without getting timed out or frozen, I will add them in subsequent posts.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

still nobody (10-25-2007)

Thanks

Last edited by Dr. Dave in da house; 10-25-2007 at 01:38 PM.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

If you're in L.A., there's a Shorinji Temple on 4th street that opens classes to non-Japanese.

Thanks

"Chow/Chun System (Chinese Kempo): Close (inside) direct flowing self-defense with no wasted motion that is devastatingly effective without fancy movement or fancy kicks..."

What exactly do you consider "fancy movement" Johnny?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    What exactly do you consider "fancy movement" Johnny?
    let's see...performing a move where one turns one's back to the attacker instead of keeping them in front of you...jumping and kicking fantastic kicks like Bruce Lee (like what I could do easily when was a teenager)...winding up with punches...ducking low from punches or kicks...moving far away (like backing up) from attacker upon initial attack...and any other unnecessary movements with hands, arms, feet, etc. - wasting energy...

...I don't have anyone or any particular style or art in mind...just remembering what I used to do when I was a teenager many many years ago...including trying to imitate Bruce like his movies...
    Last edited by youngbraveheart; 10-27-2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: clarity

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Recently posted on www.chinesekempo.org:

"The Chow / Chun Art style of Chinese Kempo

Go Shin Jitsu or as follows - Goshinjutsu, Goshin Ryu , Goju Ryu, Kyo Kushin, Kosho Ryu Kenpo is a term which is used to refer to the hard styles of Karate. As we know, Kenpo is of the hard styles and Kempo is of the hard and soft style that was created by the Great Grandmaster William K.S. Chow also known as "the Thunderbolt", but to some of the old students and friends he was simply the "Professa". The present day systems and most which mirrors American Kenpo Karate actually evolved from the harder and powerful Kenpo Karate which was also taught by Grandmaster Chow of Honolulu. Chow believed in the development of mind and body and concentrated on “the parts of your body that will be usually used in combat or self defense situations". Chow's was the development of his hands, his knuckles were proof. The creativity was and is the original from the combining of Kenpo, Kung Fu, Jujitsu, Lua and a sprinkling of effective techniques from other arts to make up the bases for the Hawaiian Kenpo or Hawaiian Go Shin Jitsu Kenpo, thus the Chinese Kempo is created. Through the training years of Grandmaster Chow, his techniques were similar to the training requirements of the harder Shotokan type Karate. These are the teachers and instructors that had some influence on Grandmaster Chow…..GoGen Yamaguchi, aka "the cat", (Japanese-Goju Ryu),Gichin Funakoshi, (Founder), Okinawan Shotokan, Mas Oyama, (Founder), Korean¬Japanese Kyokushin and the Great Grandmaster James Mitose, (22nd Generation), Japanese-Kosho Ryu Kenpo, Wally Jay (small circle) and Okasaki (Jujitsu).

Thus, the Go Shin Jitsu Kenpo/Chinese Kempo is introduced. Grandmaster Chow liked the sound of Go Shin Jitsu-Kai Chinese Kempo or as it was originally called Dian Hshue Go Shin Jitsu Kenpo Kai. Grandmaster Chow dropped the Dian Hshue to allow for the inclusion of the use of more vital points. The Kenpo changed to Kempo was Chow's way of showing the Chinese background without excluding the Okinawan influence to the system. As of today the creativity of Kenpo/Kempo has its lineage and the Sijo Emperado of the Kajukenbo Kenpo/Kempo, Grandmaster Edmund Parker of the Parkers Kenpo/Kempo Karate, was students of the Great Grandmaster Chow. As years past Grandmaster Wm. Chow in 1976 turned over the Go Shin Jitsu Kenpo Karate system to William Chun, Sr. From this, Professor Chun, Sr. began modifying his method of teaching. Professor Chun, Sr. realized the exact execution of techniques that worked for Grandmaster Chow would not work for everyone. What Grandmaster Chow and Professor Chun, Sr. had developed as Kara¬ho, now became only Kara-ho in name. Note: A dream of his father (Chow) had a big impact on Grandmaster's Chow's Kara-ho, (Chinese Kempo). This gave Grandmaster Chow his own art style to call his own. Kenpo/Kempo is .the hard and soft styles of creativity. Chow and Chun, Sr. modifications of the three elements for the effectiveness of the Go Shin Jitsu Kenpo system became the basis of the original Kara-ho methods. (Chinese Kempo).

The characters of ones ability has to be indirect with one of the element characters of the Kara-ho method of the double breakage or crushing of limbs. Grandmaster Chow and Professor Chun, Sr. had developed the movements and motions of each characters of the Kara-ho art style of Chinese Kempo. The Go Shin Jitsu Kenpo method had the character of the hard and the Chinese Kempo had the soft which time the Hawaiian Lua was incorporated into this art style of Kenpo/Kempo. Kara-ho is born.

Bill Chun, Jr. learned the modification and creativity of this art style that was bestowed to him by both the Great Grandmaster Professa Chow and his father Professor Chun, Sr. Today is evident in the journey Bill Chun, Jr. is on. He's been recognized in the affords of unity in the Association of the Kenpo/Kempo Unity Connections that he has created and brought together the Kenpo/Kempo roots such as the Kosho Ryu instructed by Thomas Mitose Soke and the American Kenpo instructed by Sensei Edmond Parker, Jr. He's brought together harmony and balance without being Political or Prejudice of his lineage and from his roots. The effort from the lineage and roots of Kenpo/Kempo has shown that the art style of the hard/soft is and will be taught and represented by the understanding of your roots. Chun, Jr. has the understanding of the moves and motions which becomes of ones character and this is one of the points in the true art style of development and creativity. (Physical was Grandmaster Chow and Spiritual was Great Grandmaster J. Mitose), Chun, Jr., grew up learning these two conceptualism that became instrumental to the Kenpo/Kempo that Grandmaster Professa Wm. Chow had developed through the years of studying and understanding of his art style of the Chinese Kempo. Being instructed and taught by both men, Grandmaster Chow and Professor Chun, Sr., Master Chun, Jr. is qualified to teach and demonstrate the art style of the hard/soft of Kenpo/Kempo and they are The Go Shin Jitsu Kenpo/Chinese Kempo – aka Kara-Ho – aka Dian Hshue, Patience, Timing and Accuracy. Master Chun Jr. teaches with Harmony, Humble, Respect and Love, and he believes when we are taught to protect our self and our ohana we then learn and have the discipline to not have to use it and if we need to use what we were taught, then we use the containment arts and not the killing.

Go Shin Jitsu Kenpo/ChineseKempo Kai Federation KenpolKempo Unity Connection Association Master Chun, Jr. President"

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I whas surfing on the net and i fond this http://www.ickkfkempo.com/ , are Charles Gaylord not from Kajukenbo ?

sorry about my question, but i'm new on this world

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,214 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nuno View Post
    I whas surfing on the net and i fond this http://www.ickkfkempo.com/ , are Charles Gaylord not from Kajukenbo ?

sorry about my question, but i'm new on this world
    I took a quick look at the site, and didn't see where it mentioned Charles Gaylord, but yes he is one of the branches/methods of kajukenbo. I am not sure how his method varies from the "original method" that Adriano Emperado used.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links