Thread: Weapons anyone?

Thanks

Default Weapons anyone?

Just trying to jumpstart the "Chinese Kempo" forum a bit---

What weapon(s) do you folks learn in your style of Chinese Kempo/Kenpo?

In Kara-Ho we feature weapons like the fan, chopsticks, and hooking and pickering swords for example...

Cheers!
    The above is just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Weapons anyone?

Bo, Nunchucks (Man, i'm never sure of the spelling on that), Chinese Broadsword, Escrima, Sai, and Katana. We have forms for all of the above, except the escrima, between 2nd brown and 2nd black.

I'm pretty sure that my sensei 'adopted' the katana forms into the system.

Thanks

Cool! It is "Nunchaku" but seems most everyone pronounces it, "Numb-chucks" LOL

You have some cool weapons there-

Many of the weapons in our system come in later like 4th or 5th degree--- So maybe SOME DAY I will get there---

Take care!
    The above is just my opinion.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

We try and work the staff and the knife. The knife for obvious reasons and the staff because of staff set. My first martial arts instructor had us work on the Bo, chucks, sai, tonfa, cane, belt, that's about all I can remember. We had forms for the first 3 the others were more for leisure and fun.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

In Chinese Kenpo I did Staff, Spear, Broadsword, Katana, Iron Fan, sticks, nunchaku & knife. Still to learn was Kwan Do, Tiger Fork, double saber, 3 sectional staff, chain whip, and any other Hung Garish, or Choy Li Futish weapons.

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Knife and clubs.
    Owner & Chief Instructor
    Law Enforcement Asst Instructor
    Krav Fit Now
    www.kravfitnow.com
    281-687-4183

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

In The Jade Tigers Kenpo Karate Association we teach: The Bo, Sai, Kama, Spear, Braodsword, Fans, Staff (Chinese Way) , Tonfa, Escrima Sticks, 3 section staff, Double End Spear, Stick & Knife, and Doulbe Knives.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

The only weapons we train with are the ones that the attacker (uke) uses like a fake knife or club, and we're to counter the attack(s). It'll be interesting when our instructor decides to use such "real" weapons as a hammer or whatever he finds in a tool box for use in our counter techniques or especially in multiple "men" attacking. (posted in Martialtalk.com under a similar titled thread)

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

We don't currently work with weapons, but hope to learn nunchucks and staff soon.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: Weapons anyone?

As a proud parent of a bouncing baby FMA system, Living Arnis... we force (at stick point) all Sam Pai students to learn some Arnis.* So we use canes/sticks, daggers and some longer blades. In addition, we work some classical White Lotus Sword forms. We also work to demonstrate how the universal patterns of motion apply to all weapons. So at some point students are encouraged to experiement with blunt weapons, edged weapons of varying leangth/design, flexible weapons and longer range weapons. We have an amazing array of toys lining our walls, from classical chinese and okinawan weapons to fantasy weapons of my father's design or customized weapons based upon my admittedly odd ideas of what works for me.

I also co-developed a very basic 2 Man Staff set with Darwin Jones at the home school, so there was a means of getting a weapon in an under-blackbelts hands. There is a small handful of my students who have been exposed to this limited classic. lol

* As the system is still under developement, it helps me to fleshout techniques and troubleshoot the what-ifs, by working them, and teaching them to a variety of different students. As everyone moves somewhat uniquely..(well as much as we can, given the similar geometry of our bodies, most of us sporting a pair of legs, one on each side, a set of arms, also one per side, etc)...so working the ideal phase of the techniques on as many varied body types is essential. Seeing what concepts can be readily communicated is also critical. If I develope a really cool technique, but can't manage to find a method of relaying the technique to someone else, then it is of limited value. So yes, all students are forcefed some arnis in our schools.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks

A long time ago when I actually did Chinese Kempo I learned the broadsword, long staff, rope dart and 3 section staff. I still own them but have not touched them in years ...
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Weapons Anyone?

I have watched a lot of people struggle trying to master a particular weapon. They just couldn't master it. WHY??
    For one thing the weapon simply didn't fit them. Too long,too short, too heavy. Off the counter weapons don't fit everyone. I watched a group of sheriffs deputies try to master the PR 24,A tonfa like weapon. For those with short Arms it just couldn't work. Too Long to spin around. If the PR24 would have been 22" long then it would have worked fine. If you cut 2" off the length so it would work the weapon was modified and no longer certifiable. Go Figure?
    I watched my son Struggle with Broad swords. Too long and unwieldy,also heavy. I watched others train with the Kama. They struggled to keep the blade at the proper cutting angle. I watched some train with a Naginata. They had trouble keeping the blade at the proper cutting angle. I am sure some of you will say enough training will overcome all that. Well Maybe? I don't think I would have wanted to go into battle with an unwieldy weapon. I would have wanted it to fit me and become part of me. I would want to fight the opponent not the weapon. In Battle you would need every edge you could get.

Considering all this, I decided to make custom weapons for our students. I started with scaling down the length and size and weight of swords. I gave them to our students and they started excelling with their Sword Katas. Other schools were interested so I made and gave weapons to our friends. They also did much better. Nothing wrong with slightly ovaling a Kama Handle. you can feel the right direction. Same with the Naganata or Quando. Not traditional you say. I suspect that all warriors did special things to their weapons to make them better and give them an advantage in battle. I have probably given away over 50 Custom made swords in both Katana style and Broadsword
    style and countlesss Kamas and so far not had any of their instructors complain about not traditionnal. They were happy that their people were winning and doing so well. That is because the weapon fit them.
    I don't know if I was right or wrong but it has worked for us. I read somewhere. "Tradition has a lot to teach us. however it must serve our need and not become our Master. Martial Arts is an ever growing form. There will always be room for improvement."

Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sifuroy View Post
    Weapons Anyone?

I have watched a lot of people struggle trying to master a particular weapon. They just couldn't master it. WHY??
    For one thing the weapon simply didn't fit them. Too long,too short, too heavy. Off the counter weapons don't fit everyone.

I have probably given away over 50 Custom made swords in both Katana style and Broadsword
    style and countlesss Kamas and so far not had any of their instructors complain about not traditionnal. They were happy that their people were winning and doing so well. That is because the weapon fit them.
    I don't know if I was right or wrong but it has worked for us. I read somewhere. "Tradition has a lot to teach us. however it must serve our need and not become our Master. Martial Arts is an ever growing form. There will always be room for improvement."

Respectfully,
    Sifuroy
    Having been the recipient of a plethora of those Custom Weapons, I'll vouch for the advantages to Designer Weapons. This kind of ties in with a rant I went on, regarding 'sticks'. Some Off the Rack Weapons, are atrocously designed. The fact that folk can wield them at all, is often a testement to their martial prowess. Anyone serious about weapons, should look into the potential for modifying or having weapons customized. Most inexpensive weapons are designed first and formost for appearences and not function. If you have some of these in your possession, experiement with altering the balance points by end-weighting them with something as simply as electrical tape. If the handles are hollow, and you need more heft, consider filling the handles with an innert materiel. Even if you don't have access to a Custom Weaponsmith, like I do, don't settle for the off the rack presentation of your instrument of choice. Experiement with it, work with it and make it your own. One of the commen things I see, is would-be nunchaku enthusiasts, who have purchased (sight unseen) ungainly long, or unusuably light instruments or worse yet, with chains/cords that are ridiculously long and limit the technique so serverly you might as well use a jump rope. Removing a link from a chain, (or two) or altering the leangth of cord can dramatically alter the weapons performance and personality. It is difficult to establish control over a weapon, that doesn't fit you. In kenpo, we are taught to adapt the art to us, not us to the art....so why should weapons be any different?
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Very innovative. I have modified a few weapons in the past for my students, and love making their Bo's, but I have never gone as far as you have. Your students and friends are ver lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by sifuroy View Post
    Weapons Anyone?

For one thing the weapon simply didn't fit them. Too long,too short, too heavy. Off the counter weapons don't fit everyone. I watched a group of sheriffs deputies try to master the PR 24,A tonfa like weapon. For those with short Arms it just couldn't work. Too Long to spin around. If the PR24 would have been 22" long then it would have worked fine. If you cut 2" off the length so it would work the weapon was modified and no longer certifiable. Go Figure?
    I watched my son Struggle with Broad swords. Too long and unwieldy,also heavy. I watched others train with the Kama. They struggled to keep the blade at the proper cutting angle. I watched some train with a Naginata. They had trouble keeping the blade at the proper cutting angle. I am sure some of you will say enough training will overcome all that. Well Maybe? I don't think I would have wanted to go into battle with an unwieldy weapon. I would have wanted it to fit me and become part of me. I would want to fight the opponent not the weapon. In Battle you would need every edge you could get.

Considering all this, I decided to make custom weapons for our students. I started with scaling down the length and size and weight of swords. I gave them to our students and they started excelling with their Sword Katas. Other schools were interested so I made and gave weapons to our friends. They also did much better. Nothing wrong with slightly ovaling a Kama Handle. you can feel the right direction. Same with the Naganata or Quando. Not traditional you say. I suspect that all warriors did special things to their weapons to make them better and give them an advantage in battle. I have probably given away over 50 Custom made swords in both Katana style and Broadsword

Respectfully,
    Sifuroy
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links