Thread: Favorite Form

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Favorite Form

For our members who study one of the Chinese variations of Kenpo/Kempo what is your favorite form?

What is its focus?

What does it teach?

Why is it your favorite?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: Favorite Form

Rob, Great question! Sorry I missed it originally...

My favorite from in Kara-Ho is "Combination Form", appropriately named as it is a Combination of hard and soft techniques which is what was emphasized in the late 70's and 80's right up until Professor Chow's death in '87.

The form was actually designed by Professor Chow, Grandmaster Kuoha and his oldest daughter Sensei Cherlyn (now 37) who was a yellow belt at that time. (professor said that form was for her)

Many people are familiar with the material professor Chow was teaching in the 50's and 60's but few have seen or understand the changes that came later.

Cheers!
    James
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Any chance of getting a written breakdown of the form or even better a video clip.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Favorite Form

1 of my favorites, taught by master Tak weh Eng.
    Tak is an awesome martial artist, with generations of familes of martial artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaO9S...rom=PL&index=5

enjoy!

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I'm kind of fond of Book Set. Rather like a compact version of Tiger and the Crane.

Tam Tui is good when I'm looking to tax the old lungs. Always sucks the breath right out of me.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I'd say my favorite form is "Hansuki," which Grandmaster Bill Chun Sr. created - not what I've seen posted all over the internet. I'm fortunate to see Brian perform it when we're training. Perhaps I'm biased...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

Personally I do not like forms.
    I feel that they are overused by to many people who would be better served to get on the mat with a partner and work.
    That being said, I am partial to form 5 in the kenpo curriculum... what can I say I like takedowns and throws. I do prefer to work the form with partners though.
    When I go through the form on my own, its because im in the shower going over kenpo in my mind, in my living room playing with my kids and will bust it out thinking about it, in the studio when I am asked to do it by my instructor, or teaching it to students. But other then that, I always prefer to work the movements with partners.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youngbraveheart View Post
    I'd say my favorite form is "Hansuki," which Grandmaster Bill Chun Sr. created - not what I've seen posted all over the internet. I'm fortunate to see Brian perform it when we're training. Perhaps I'm biased...
    I was fortunate enough to have Professor Bill Chun Jr. show me it once. It bore only a small resemblance to the Hansuki that you see that came out of the East Coast. You are a lucky guy to train where you do.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKBoxer View Post
    Personally I do not like forms.
    I feel that they are overused by to many people who would be better served to get on the mat with a partner and work.
    That being said, I am partial to form 5 in the kenpo curriculum... what can I say I like takedowns and throws. I do prefer to work the form with partners though.
    When I go through the form on my own, its because im in the shower going over kenpo in my mind, in my living room playing with my kids and will bust it out thinking about it, in the studio when I am asked to do it by my instructor, or teaching it to students. But other then that, I always prefer to work the movements with partners.
    I understand your disdain for forms, but give this guy a listen (his podcasts are a hoot) and they seem more meaningful.

(not in a magic powers sort of way)

http://www.iainabernethy.co.uk/

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I agree with you, I never liked doing forms either. Seems I spent all of my mental thoughts and energy in trying to remember the things, the routines, so I never got much out of them. Now, I'd just take bits and pieces of a form(s), those which are practical. Then work on other pieces of the form as well, and try to "apply" it to real life situations and sparring. Your method of working a form with a partner, is a good one. However, I recall trying to do that, with little success. Cuz the form changes angle and direction all the time, taking in many different attackers. So, trying to work the entire form with only one partner, means the poor guy has to be jumping and running all over the place to get in the correct spot for the next movement in the form. That is why I am saying to work on a small piece of the form, and yes, with a partner. Make it REAL!!! But, then again, there are a lot of little very nice "Hidden" aspects within forms, which at first do not appear to be practical and applicable to real life situations or sparring. But upon a later and closer look, one often finds the subtleties of these techniques hidden in the form, which can in fact be used practically. It takes study, practice, application, awareness, analysis, and an open mind "mushin". Don't give up on the entire form(s), so easily. I know that it is alot, long, and difficult to remember how they all go. Especially when you get up to 20+ forms, and get into the really LONG ones. Then there are many weapons forms. The one form that I always really liked was the, or A, 2 man fighting set form. Some people call it "TheTiger and Dragon", others call it "2 Man Fist Set", or something. But because you are working with another person, it is very nice once you can both get it going really, really fast!!!

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaolinmonkmark View Post
    1 of my favorites, taught by master Tak weh Eng.
    Tak is an awesome martial artist, with generations of familes of martial artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaO9S...rom=PL&index=5

enjoy!
    Yeah, I don't know this one, but I've seen it before. It is a higher up form in one or more Kenpo systems. The video clip says "USSD" which I am assuming is "United Studios of Self Defense". Unless I am wrong. If it is at the Shaolin Temple in China, then Steve DeMasco is probably there. Those are probably his people. I am only guessing of course. But yes this is a very nice form. I really like the "USSD Snake Form"video clip, that is in the YouTube list, there. However, I am curious how a Snake Form does not even have a Snake Kick in it, nor a Snake Coil Takedown. But I really like the hand work, strikes, and movements. I am very partial to the Snake techniques.
    But with the video clip you referenced, I bet the Shaolin Monks are looking at this White American guy doing this "Budhha Fist" form and saying to themselves "what is this guy doing? He needs to loosen up. Focus, Grasshopper!!" hee hee hee.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Can you just imagine how many different forms those Shaolin Temple Monks must have? 100 or more????

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links