Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flying crane

Thread: Wing Chun vs pro Muay thai fighter, is the WC guy good???

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Wing Chun vs pro Muay thai fighter, is the WC guy good???

The wing chun guy surprised me!
    What do you guys think??

Video link:

https://youtu.be/VpJrXL59SH4

KOD Championship is a hybrid fighting organization in Taiwan

(The rule allows 10 seconds on the ground)

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送 https://youtu.be/VpJrXL59SH4

Thanks

Default Re: Wing Chun vs pro Muay thai fighter, is the WC guy good???

Was the wing chun guy really doing much "wing chun"?
    Kenpo, moving in open piecewise Bézier curves since 2011

Trying hard not to lapse into speaking kenponics

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 634 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J-squared View Post
    modified
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,483 Posts

Sure. Why not?
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    Sure. Why not?
    Everybody wing chun tonight?
    Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoMD For This Useful Post:

KirkS (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    Sure. Why not?
    Because 90% of it looked like the same kickboxing/muay thai you see in any competition.
    Kenpo, moving in open piecewise Bézier curves since 2011

Trying hard not to lapse into speaking kenponics

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J-squared For This Useful Post:

KirkS (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Because 90% of it looked like the same kickboxing/muay thai you see in any competition.
    It doesn’t matter what it looks like. The biggest thing that differentiates one system from another is the training methodology. When used in a real fight or a competition, it can look like anything. It does not need to look like the training methodology.

If his training is in Wing Chun, then he is using his Wing Chun, regardless of what it looks like.
    Michael

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

No, the WC cat is not good. I also didn't see much of any WC, modified or not. He principally used sub-par boxing technique and strategy, blended with some poorly trained or understood grappling.

When I was still in high school, there was a running rivalry between WC and MTKB that went on along the West Coast (maybe other places, but these were the only ones I saw). Smokers were held in warehouses, parks, boxing gyms, etc., in a challenge-match context. Dudes who had been bad-mouthing each other for years would get their stables together and duke it out in "exhibition" matches, no gloves. Saw them in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle. The outcomes were almost always the same: Lacking much ring-toughness or experience, the Wing Chun dudes would go down. Most commonly from Thai kicks to the outsides of the thighs, or cut kicks to the insides of the thighs.

But at least they would be throwing chain punches, low line kicks (that often missed completely or got jammed by shin-checks). You could tell by watching who the WC dude was and who the MTKB dude was, even when they just wore sweats. Because they moved in characteristic ways, reflective of their respective fields of study.

I went to these with my WC teacher and sparring partner -- the dude had the face, hair and glasses of John Lennon, but the physical frame of Franco Colombo. He would throw hundreds of backnuckles and chain punches a day while holding heavy dumbbells in his hands. Sort of became a one-trick pony after a year of doing it. Would either throw a lightning-fast backfist that'd crack whatever it hit, then if that didn't drop the other guy (which it usually did), he would blitz after them with a chain punch (he called it "bicycle punch" because it looked like pedaling a handbike). And he delivered these form the standard WC stance, shuffle-stepping after folks as he went.

The MTKB cat in the above video is wearing the garb, so he's easy to spot. The WC dude is still tryna live off of Bruce Lee's rep by dressing in black sweats and a sash, a la old movies by the only WC practitioner who ever broke local.

All to say, I don't think the guy looks like he's doing WC, because he has been training other stuff for this fight... and it shows.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

KenpoMD (3 Weeks Ago),KirkS (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    No, the WC cat is not good. I also didn't see much of any WC, modified or not. He principally used sub-par boxing technique and strategy, blended with some poorly trained or understood grappling.

When I was still in high school, there was a running rivalry between WC and MTKB that went on along the West Coast (maybe other places, but these were the only ones I saw). Smokers were held in warehouses, parks, boxing gyms, etc., in a challenge-match context. Dudes who had been bad-mouthing each other for years would get their stables together and duke it out in "exhibition" matches, no gloves. Saw them in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle. The outcomes were almost always the same: Lacking much ring-toughness or experience, the Wing Chun dudes would go down. Most commonly from Thai kicks to the outsides of the thighs, or cut kicks to the insides of the thighs.

But at least they would be throwing chain punches, low line kicks (that often missed completely or got jammed by shin-checks). You could tell by watching who the WC dude was and who the MTKB dude was, even when they just wore sweats. Because they moved in characteristic ways, reflective of their respective fields of study.

I went to these with my WC teacher and sparring partner -- the dude had the face, hair and glasses of John Lennon, but the physical frame of Franco Colombo. He would throw hundreds of backnuckles and chain punches a day while holding heavy dumbbells in his hands. Sort of became a one-trick pony after a year of doing it. Would either throw a lightning-fast backfist that'd crack whatever it hit, then if that didn't drop the other guy (which it usually did), he would blitz after them with a chain punch (he called it "bicycle punch" because it looked like pedaling a handbike). And he delivered these form the standard WC stance, shuffle-stepping after folks as he went.

The MTKB cat in the above video is wearing the garb, so he's easy to spot. The WC dude is still tryna live off of Bruce Lee's rep by dressing in black sweats and a sash, a la old movies by the only WC practitioner who ever broke local.

All to say, I don't think the guy looks like he's doing WC, because he has been training other stuff for this fight... and it shows.
    Well, I don’t know if this guy has been training other stuff. I didn’t watch the video carefully, I actually just skimmed it. So if they discussed his training background, I wouldn’t know. If he claims that he trained other things, then yes, that influences. If he claims he is pure wing Chun, and I don’t have strong evidence to the contrary, then I accept he is wing Chun.

wing Chun can look like chain punches and backfists and taun sau and wu sau and the Wing Chun stance. Yes, certainly. It can be applied in that manner.

it does not need to. It can be expressed in any manner that the individual finds works. And that may visually differ from others, but if the principles are still intact, and it comes from his study and practice of wing Chun, then it is Wing Chun. Even if it does not look like it to an observer.

in the same way that a Kenpo guy does not need to execute five swords or any other prescribed self defense technique in a fight or a competition. That does not mean he isn’t using Kenpo.

expression in application can be limitless.
    Michael

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links