Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Kara-Ho anyone?

Thanks

Default Questions on Kara-Ho anyone?

I thought I would start a thread about our system in case anyone has questions about the art.

I am not a senior by any means, I have been training in Kara-Ho since 1992-'93 and I will try to answer any questions you might have and if I do not know the answer I will ask Grandmaster Kuoha personally.

Thanks everyone and have a great night!

james
    The above is just my opinion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

Brother John (11-25-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Questions on Kara-Ho anyone?

Other than Sam Kouha(sp) who are the major players in tke Kara Ho world
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Ah! Good question...

The longest training instructor is Shihan Ben Kahananui (5th Dan), he was the only person other than GM Kuoha to have a Kara-Ho school in the US (Backyard dojo) when Professor Chow passed away in 1987- He has been training since 1970. He lives in Oahu, HI.

The other is Shihan Chris Mendoza (6th Dan) he is a Musculoskeletal (wow-SP?) doctor in Utah and he is the highest ranking individual in our system.

I am trying to organize a family tree for Kara-Ho but most instructors are garage/backyard dojo's so few if any web-sites are around. Grandmasters daughter (Ka'imi) is a 4th dan along with a few others at 4th, some 3rd's then it trickles down... Not very many folks higher than Nidan-

There is alot of material between dan ranks so it is a life-long endeavor.

We really need to have a Kenpotalk get-together one of these days... One of my martial arts goals is to learn more about other Kenpo/Kempo styles and hopefully try to answer any questions about Kara-ho.

Have a great night!

James

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I checked out karaho.com but would like to know what type of things your focus on. i.e. striking, grapling, throwing, weapons, any healing arts, etc.

Thanks

Are there any set techniques like there are in EPAK....or is it more of a freeform thing with practice drills?

Thanks

Dang- I typed a big thing and got timed out... I will respond later when I am at home sorry-

Thanks

Professor Chow’s Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Karate utilizes rapid fire strikes to the vital points (Dian-Hsuhe) of the body. It is 50% hands and feet, we utilize takedowns, sweeps and throws, (Aikido influence) we also use pre-set techniques against grabs, ground, weapons and multiple attacker scenarios (as well as defenses against punches). Also taught are Ki principles to help create a strong foundation and increase power in all movements. Kiatsu is also taught later in the system…

There are 18 weapons with 3 forms for each, most are taught in the later dan ranks. A student will learn forms with the Bo, Sai, and Nunchaku before BB. And such weapons as Tonfa, Fan, Hooking swords, and Balisong knife also.

Hope this helps a bit-

Have a great day!

james

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Are there people outside of Grandmaster Kuoha's Chinese Kempo Kara-Ho Karate who are qualified to teach Professor Chow's Kara-Ho Kempo Karate?...

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

how similar is it to ralph castro's shaolin kenpo... was he not a student of chows untill his passing?..... i only know what i have read on line about castro just wondering...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: Questions on Kara-Ho anyone?

[quote=Dianhsuhe;10058]
    most instructors are backyard dojo's

What happened to the big expansion? I recall a few years back that alot of Kara Ho studios were springing up all over the place.

1stJohn1:9

Thanks

"Are there people outside of Grandmaster Kuoha's Chinese Kempo Kara-Ho Karate who are qualified to teach Professor Chow's Kara-Ho Kempo Karate?..."

Johnny: There is no such thing as "Grandmaster Kuoha's Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Karate". The organization is "Professor Chow's Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Karate" of which Grandmaster Sam Kuoha is the current leader, and the only people who should be teaching Kara-Ho Kempo are active certified instructors with our organization. If you ever want to verify if a Kara-Ho instructor is legit, just call the HQ.

Gajewski: From what I have seen GM Castro's stuff is quite different, I am not sure what time period he trained with Professor Chow but I can find out.

kenpochrstn: As soon as the system was opened to the public MANY people came into the system, most from other Kempo branches but most of them are no longer with us because we did not immediately honor their "previous rank(s)" in other systems. In other words many wanted to join and have us recognize their existing ranks even before they learned the material.

The goal is to have quality rather than quantity and EVERY person who gets their black-belt has to be looked at by Grandmaster Kuoha himself, and not many folks are higher than say 2nd or 3rd dan as it takes a long while to get there. So today the system remains fairly small and it is working much better.

These are all my personal opinions, I do not speak for Grandmaster Kuoha or the Kara-Ho Org.

Cheers-
    jamey

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    Johnny: There is no such thing as "Grandmaster Kuoha's Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Karate". The organization is "Professor Chow's Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Karate" of which Grandmaster Sam Kuoha is the current leader, and the only people who should be teaching Kara-Ho Kempo are active certified instructors with our organization. If you ever want to verify if a Kara-Ho instructor is legit, just call the HQ.
    Thanks for the info Jamey! I came across the name: "Karaho Kempo Karate" in this link: http://www.alo-kenpo-karate.com/History/H1.htm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

I know that this may be a TALL order, but could you give a rundown on how the curriculum is arranged? For instance, is everything 'standardized' ....set things taught at set stages w/in the students development?

Are there "Time" requirements for rank?

What is the general attitude toward sparring and/or competition?
    Are there any VERY successful competitive martial artists from the Kara-Ho line?

What does Kara-Ho mean? Why did Professor Chow call it that?

Is it true that GM Kuoha had previous experience/rank in other martial arts that he then blended in with what he learned from the Professor? IF so, what are they, what were his ranks in them?? HOW did it influence the instruction or methods in Kara-Ho?

I've heard that Professor Chow also learned some "Gung-fu" (perhaps from his father?) which he then incorporated into his methods/techniques and gained a more circular flow. Is that accurate? Could you elaborate? What style(s) of Gung-Fu did he learn, and where/whom from?

What was Prof. Chow's relationship with Mitose like? How long did he train with him? What rank did he attain with him?

Are there other systems that Prof. Chow learned besides Kempo, Aikido and maybe this Gung-Fu?

Who taught him Aikido? What rank did he achieve?

These are just the few questions I've had for a long time.
    Maybe this thread could be called "A Thousand and one things you've always wanted to know about Kara-Ho, but were too afraid to ask"

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

hemi (11-27-2007)

Thanks

Thanks for the link Johnny, I will follow-up on that later. We actually have some of Alo's top people in Kara-Ho now (since the late 80's I believe) so the feedback might be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    I know that this may be a TALL order, but could you give a rundown on how the curriculum is arranged? For instance, is everything 'standardized' ....set things taught at set stages w/in the students development?

Are there "Time" requirements for rank?

What is the general attitude toward sparring and/or competition?
    Are there any VERY successful competitive martial artists from the Kara-Ho line?

What does Kara-Ho mean? Why did Professor Chow call it that?

Is it true that GM Kuoha had previous experience/rank in other martial arts that he then blended in with what he learned from the Professor? IF so, what are they, what were his ranks in them?? HOW did it influence the instruction or methods in Kara-Ho?

I've heard that Professor Chow also learned some "Gung-fu" (perhaps from his father?) which he then incorporated into his methods/techniques and gained a more circular flow. Is that accurate? Could you elaborate? What style(s) of Gung-Fu did he learn, and where/whom from?

What was Prof. Chow's relationship with Mitose like? How long did he train with him? What rank did he attain with him?

Are there other systems that Prof. Chow learned besides Kempo, Aikido and maybe this Gung-Fu?

Who taught him Aikido? What rank did he achieve?

These are just the few questions I've had for a long time.
    Maybe this thread could be called "A Thousand and one things you've always wanted to know about Kara-Ho, but were too afraid to ask"

Your Brother
    John

WOW! Brother John! Great questions- I will answer a few of the easy ones now but I am on my way out th door and a few questions I will forward to Grandmaster Kuoha's aide or himself.

We have a set "criteria", i.e. Like basics 1-3 and lines 1&2 for Adv. White Belt...With empty hand forms as well as weapons forms required for some ranks also.

There is no "time requirement" for rank. We Promote when the student is ready, some faster than others obviously. Black-Belt usually takes 6-8 years on average and a Shodan is a big deal for us. Grandmaster Kuoha has to personally approve all BB's.

Kara-Ho Means: "The unity of spirit, mind, soul and body"

Why did Profesor call it that: **Come back later**

Yes, Grandmaster Kuoha has trained in, Combat Tai-Chi, Aikido, Hsin Hsing Yee Ti Kung Fu, and Tae-Kwon-Do. I do not recall the rank levels specifically. (**come back later**). I know that he has no official rank in Aikido but he trained for many years with the late Shihan John Damian of "Imua-Ki" Aikido. he was a close friend Grandmaster had from law Enforcement and he used to come give us seminars.

It is worth mentioning that almost all of the changes that were made to Kara-Ho from the "old days" were signed off on by Professor Chow, including the addition to katas, high and flying kicks, weapons and KI principles from Aikido. Professor actually wanted to expand the system with weapons, katas and high kicks (after Grandmaster Kuoha's daughter, a 15 year old orange belt I recall, knocked out one of Professor Chow's black-belts with a high kick?

Gotta run- I will come back later to fill in above and answer the rest when I can- Professor Chow did not train in Aikido, Grandmaster did.

Jamey

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

Brother John (11-25-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

well from what i read it seems as ralph castro trained with chow till an advanced rank... brown i assume... but was promoted to shodan by ed parker i believe inn 1959... after some time he continued studying under chow... there is a picture on castro's website with him wearing a 9'th back in 1982 a bar and 4 stripes like american kenpo uses.. and it also says he was with chow untill his passing... but i guess castro might have created his own style with chow acting as his advisor or something... like i said i have no experience with kara-ho or shaolin kenpo but would be pleased to find someone in my area (baltimore) that would like to come work out with me in the garage... i am an epak guy with some taekwondo experience... i would be more than glad to swap methods and techniques... so any one from any other branch of kenpo in baltimore or any other art for that matter... i have a 3 car garage with some make shift mats... weights heavy bag kicking shields/punching targets weights etc...me and my friend were both brown belts but we are not in a school currently we train together now working on our black belt material... as soon as i get my money situation straightened out im going back...doing the video manual thing at the moment.. sorry for my rant but email mw if your interested in a workout... flippin50s@aol.com

Thanks

I cannot remember the situation with Ralph Castro, he may have stayed in touch with Professor until his death, I am not sure of that. Seems to me he created his own system as Parker did. Professor Chow kept innovating and rounding out the system (addition of Katas and multiple attacker defenses, for example) until his death in 1987.

I hope you find some good workout partners, sometimes that is the best situation. Many great martial artists did much of their "discovering" while in garages with workout partners.

jamey

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

a friand of mine since we were kids works out with me but it would be nice to have a few people a bigger variety to beat on ya know...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

James, you have probably already done this in other threads, and if so perhaps you could link us those threads... but I was wondering if there is video out there that shows kara-ho forms, techniques, etc., that you could perhaps list here for us to check out. I think that would be great... thanks!
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Domino3700, there are a couple videos on the karaho.com website showing GM Kuoha's daughter doing techniques.
    There is also a video tape from the late 90s that you may be able to find a copy of. see link below.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chinese-Kara.../dp/B00004CVSK

I have a copy of this tape and may be able to post a couple techniques from it.

Brian

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    Professor Chow kept innovating and rounding out the system (addition of Katas and multiple attacker defenses, for example) until his death in 1987...
    Hey Jamey,

Did Professor Chow do multiple attacker defenses before Kara-Ho?

BTW what is the name of the kata that Professor Chow performs in that historical footage on John Bishop's website? Can you explain what he is doing? It looks interesting.

http://www.kajukenboinfo.com/professor_chow.aspx

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links