Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on Kara-Ho anyone?

Thanks

Default Re: Questions on Kara-Ho anyone?

Interesting question Johnny. Before Kara-Ho? While his system had several names the reference to Kara-Ho is quite old. I was thinking 1956 but I may be wrong on that---

Virtually all of the techniques in Kara-Ho were designed with more than 1 attacker in mind, even basic #1 can be done against 2 attackers with little adjustment, we also have 2 and 3 man defenses one learns just before Shodan---The difference comes in the 6-10's (& 11-15's) as they are designed specifically against 5 or more attackers.

Ad for the kata in that video, I am unclear on which kata it is--I know it is not something we teach in the Kara-Ho system. Professor Chow used to do the hard style katas from Mitose but he wanted to develop his "own" which is where our current kata's come from.

Jamey
    The above is just my opinion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (12-10-2007)

Thanks

Hey Johnny,

I found a post from Grandmaster Kuoha (on Martialtalk) regarding early kata's Professor Chow did, as well as the formation of our current kata's.

"The only things that could be considered as forms that the Kara-Ho Kempo System had in the 50-70's was Professor Chow's linear techniques. In the 50's to the mid 70's, Professor said that he did use the Hansuki Form and the Naihanchi Form but these were all derivative of the Mitose System. Kwai-Sun Kata was developed in the late 70's using techniques from his linear techniques to make up the kata. Kata Set II was developed shortly thereafter and then followed Hoshi and Combination Form. The original Combo Form was actually developed with my oldest daughter (who was promoted to her black belt by Professor Chow) and Professor said that form was for her. It was later used in the system for 1st degree black and changed a little to magnify and show the talents of what a black belt should be like. My oldest daughter now nearly 37 years old was only a yellow belt when Professor, her and I developed said kata. There are more but they are taught in the higher advanced stages."

Hope this is some help to you-

jamey

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

Brother John (12-06-2007),sifuroy (12-10-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    I found a post from Grandmaster Kuoha (on Martialtalk) regarding early kata's Professor Chow did, as well as the formation of our current kata's...
    Thanks for the historical info Jamey!

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Interesting question Johnny. Before Kara-Ho? While his system had several names the reference to Kara-Ho is quite old. I was thinking 1956 but I may be wrong on that---
    Jamey

Kara-Ho was referenced in the 1950's. I saw a picture of Professor Chow in a book by James Yimm Lee doing a 3 man attack in front of a poster with Kara-Ho on it. This book was published in 1957.

The book is mentioned on this website. http://oakland.jkd.com.hk/memory.htm
    (In 1957-8, he authored, published, and distributed by mail order through his own company, Oriental Book Sales a book series"Modern Kung-Fu Karate: Iron, Poison Hand Training."

I can also remember GrandMaster William Chun Sr. showing the concepts of Kempo, Kara-Ho, and Dian Hsuhe in 1992. He was a student of Professor Chow from 1951-1960 before moving to the mainland.
    Brian Peladeau
    Go Shin Jitsu Kenpo / Chinese Kempo Kai

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GSJKCK For This Useful Post:

Brother John (12-06-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    West Bloomfield Township, Michigan, United States
    Thanks

I have been trying to contact a Karo Ho teacher in Davenport, IA. He is listed in a martial arts magazine but no number and he is not listed int he phone book. David Carruthers...I think is his name. Anyone else teaching in Illinois, Iowa or Michigan??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

We really need to have a Kenpotalk get-together one of these days... One of my martial arts goals is to learn more about other Kenpo/Kempo styles and hopefully try to answer any questions about Kara-ho.

Have a great night!

James
    I will be there when you do.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

BrazilUSA: Let me forward your inquiry to our HQ so they can find the closest instructor. I am not sure if Sensei Dave Carruthers is out there anymore. Unfortunately, Inside Kung-Fu has VERY old listings and will not update them very often.

Mr. Marshal: I think it would be a blast to get together...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

BrazilUSA: Let me forward your inquiry to our HQ so they can find the closest instructor. I am not sure if Sensei Dave Carruthers is out there anymore. Unfortunately, Inside Kung-Fu has VERY old listings and will not update them very often.

Mr. Marshal: I think it would be a blast to get together...
    We will do so soon Brother
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GSJKCK View Post
    ...I have a copy of this tape...
    Brian, can we see this video of Kara-Ho the next time I come over and train? I'm curious to see Professor Chow's (post Chun Sr.) Chinese Kempo development...

Thanks

Hey Johnny, hope you guys are doing well!

There is also a video by "Budo" that has some good techniques on it as well. I would send it to you but I loaned my copy to an instructor in UT.

The 6-10's and 11-15's that Professor designed are intentionally not on video anywhere but my hope is that some day you can see them in person and see what Professor Chow was working on towards the end.

To me they are the embodiment if "Kara-Ho", although I admit I am not terribly advanced with these techniques, just having some of the 6-10's so far.

Take care-
    Jamey

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Anyone know of a teacher in Tucson or Phoenix?

Thanks

pathfinder4x4: One of the top Kara-Ho instructors just moved out there, shoot me an email or PM and I will give you his info. He was actually my primary instructor the last couple years and he is on the "training team" so he has travelled all over the world with Grandmaster Kuoha teaching Kara-Ho.

Take care,
    Jamey
    dianhsuhe@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I spent some time with Kara-Ho, learning from some of my students who had been with the system. I have the greatest respect for Grandmaster Kuoha, his students, and gratitude for his teachings.

Pardon me for some semblance of lecturing, as that is what I had done for 30 years. My work gave me the opportunity to travel to, and practice with the main sensei of the system around the country about the time James was starting his studies.

Questions about Kara-Ho could be addressed to Grandmaster Kuoha for his review and response, if any. Too often, many students take from a system for their purposes. I learned more about Chinto and Kusanku Kata of Shorin Ryu from Kara-Ho at that time that I hadn't realized thirty years before. I was introduced by the system to the studies that I needed from the oriental arts of self-defense to extend my lifespan. From such practices I can still maintain the lowest stances and move fluidly, living without pain or injury.

By learning bits and pieces, there can be some semblance of knowledge; however, advanced fighting skills are hampered by thinking of procedure in the midst of kumite. I am grateful to have been trained to react faster than I could think of the response. After a year, my contest sparring improved greatly through practice in Kara Ho.

I believe firmly that spending time learning from a Kara-Ho certified instructor would be worth more than knowing poses, facts, and sequences without the practice. I respect an inquiring mind; but I valued Grandmaster Kuoha's kind clues to focus on the important in his system. I make no attempt to claim the right to teach his system, nor transmit it. Teaching outside the system is like getting melted ice cream.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to senseihal For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (06-07-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I don't have a lot to add in to this thread, and for that I apologize, except to state that I have had universally positive experiences with all of the Kara-Ho people that I have encountered and it is rare for an organization to be so well represented(I've only had an equal reaction from the IKCA guys). Rick Kaplan, who teaches out of Laramie now, used to be a classmate of mine in the Han Foo Wa school here in Casper back in the 80's. When he came back here in the 90's and started a school I already had a shotokan class going or I would have became a Kara Ho student.

You guys have a great system, and a solid organization. I love the family feel.

Mark

Thanks

Sensei Hal and Shihansmurf (Mark),

Thank you for your posts! It is always nice to hear about positive experiences with Kara-Ho, we are VERY family oriented and I hope that shows!

I have heard good things about Sensei Rick Kaplan but do not believe I have met him-

I turn 40 tomorrow and I have spent nearly half of my life training and teaching Kara-Ho Kempo. What a journey! Grandmaster Kuoha is like a father to me, and many of us, and I am thankful every day to be a part of this organization. (That sounded cheezy I know... LOL)

Take care everyone!

S. Jamey
    Board of Directors- Kara-Ho Kempo

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

shihansmurf (10-01-2010)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links