Thread: Larry Tatum Question

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Default Larry Tatum Question

Someone told me last night that Larry Tatum was going to do some seminars next weekend in Pittsburgh. That would be next weekend jan. 12 & 13. I looked on his site and found nothing listed. I also checked on MT with nothing mentioned. Would someone confirm this and/or who is holding the seminar.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Larry Tatum Question

Yes indeed Mr. Tatum will be in Pittsburgh next weekend. Here is a link to the info. Being held at PKA. See ya there. http://cisotickenpo.forumsplace.com/....pkakarate.com

Donna

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I hope everyone has a great time at the event. Get some pictures to post here on KenpoTalk.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Gosh, after seeing the priceI know I won't be able to attend. There are a couple of guys that I know are going to be there. They asked me on thrusday night to go with them. With the limited budget I have it won't be possible for me to go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    Gosh, after seeing the priceI know I won't be able to attend. There are a couple of guys that I know are going to be there. They asked me on thrusday night to go with them. With the limited budget I have it won't be possible for me to go.
    I agree that price is a bit steep for the amount of time.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    That's too bad! Mr. Tatum does a terrific job with his seminars. (Well worth the money and the trip!) I still am working on things he showed us last June in Vegas. This seminar has been planned for quite a while, so save up, I'm sure he'll be visiting Pittsburgh again soon since PKA is an LTKKA School.

As for the price, yeah a little high (even by New York Standards) but then again there are seminars you pay less for and you walk away saying what did I really get out of that, what did I learn? And then there is Mr. Tatum's .... like I said - worth every penny! Let's see Dinner at a nice restaurant or 4 1/2 hours with a knowledgable senior in a small setting. I'll take the power bar and the seminar every time!

Peace,

Donna

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Mama
    Let's see Dinner at a nice restaurant or 4 1/2 hours with a knowledgable senior in a small setting. I'll take the power bar and the seminar every time!

Peace,

Donna
    I like those priorities.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

...but then again there are seminars you pay less for and you walk away saying what did I really get out of that, what did I learn? And then there is Mr. Tatum's .... like I said - worth every penny!

Let's see Dinner at a nice restaurant or 4 1/2 hours with a knowledgable senior in a small setting. I'll take the power bar and the seminar every time!

Peace,

Donna
    attsa me girl! ain't i a lucky dog... pittsburgh heeeere we come!

pete

Thanks

That's too bad! Mr. Tatum does a terrific job with his seminars. (Well worth the money and the trip!)
    I'm not saying he isn't worth the monies. I would actually like to meet the man. I've paid 120 dollars for lessons with Planas. Those seminars have been 1 day 7 - 8 hours long. The last Planas seminar I went to was at our studio for 40 dollars. The last Wedlake seminar I went to was 30. Each of those were 2 hr. classes. Unfortunately for me my wife does not work and we have 3 children. Needless to say our money goes towards paying the bills. Regardless there will be 2 people attending the seminars from my neck of the woods. Hopefully they'll be taking good notes. Actually I'll tell them that on thursday evening.

Thanks

Tatum did that same seminar at our school a month or so ago and we paid $40 for it. It's a truly great seminar.

One of the techniqus I remember discussing is triggered salute. He talked about the reason we'd go from a major move to a minor one.

What if your opponent parries the palm to the chin? It goes across to the left, so you move into the arm break, etc.

With the extension, we discussed complimentary angles. After doing the raining claw part of it, it's assumed that the punch to the chin would make the opponent move backwards. As they step back in, then you move into the rear-cross, complimenting the angles.

It's interesting and a lot of fun. We did some grafting and what-if situations. All in all, a great seminar.

But like I said, I paid $40 for it. Our seminar was supposed to be an hour and 15 minutes, but the black belts all came early, so it was just one really long seminar. (2 1/2 hours)

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Awesome

Thanks

For those of you who made it to those seminars this weekend, how did it go?

Thanks

Come on share the details.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Hi All!

First off, let me say thanks to Jeff Osinski from PKA for hosting an awe inspiring seminar. The school is spacious, inviting and the students are well trained. I really loved the format of the 2 days. On Friday night we worked techniques, not only from the technician's viewpoint but from the attacker's end as well. This truly opened a lot of eyes. To know how to run the tech, and have a dummy really respond, trying to actually fight back, that's when you see how the technique really works. So often, as Mr. Tatum pointed out, we run the tech on a static dummy and wonder why it's not working... and that's how things start to get changed and dropped and we never truly honor the system as laid out. We all need to analyze the tech... what is really happening here, instead of just memorizing the movements and collecting techniques.

Saturday, another great day of kenpo. We started with Kicking Set I ---- which I will never look at the same way again. I couldn't believe the effect learning to counterbalance had on the power, placement and recovery from my kick. Mr. Tatum flowed from kicking set 1 right into the some freestyle techniques and then brought aspects of kicking set 1 right into the freestyles combinations - it was incredible to see it all brought together. Mr. Tatum is an amazing instructor. the flow of the seminars, and the principles they taught were amazingly cohesive, but he made it seem so spontaneous.

I was fortunate to be able to share this seminar with my hubby Pete and my 13 year old son Philip, we had a lot to talk about on our long ride home and for a long time to come. So yesterday I broke the yellow and orange techs out and started finding places to work the principles of counterbalance in, and boy, let me tell you... I'm inspired!

Thanks again to Jeff and to all the folks attending the seminars (new faces and old and young) Especially thanks to GM Tatum for sharing his knowledge and little tidbits of teaching wisdom with us. Gotta love it!

Donna

Thanks

Sounds like a great event.

Thanks

It sounded like a pretty descent seminar. I got to hear about it all night tonight.

Thanks

Hi All!

First off, let me say thanks to Jeff Osinski from PKA for hosting an awe inspiring seminar. The school is spacious, inviting and the students are well trained. I really loved the format of the 2 days. On Friday night we worked techniques, not only from the technician's viewpoint but from the attacker's end as well. This truly opened a lot of eyes. To know how to run the tech, and have a dummy really respond, trying to actually fight back, that's when you see how the technique really works. So often, as Mr. Tatum pointed out, we run the tech on a static dummy and wonder why it's not working... and that's how things start to get changed and dropped and we never truly honor the system as laid out. We all need to analyze the tech... what is really happening here, instead of just memorizing the movements and collecting techniques.

Saturday, another great day of kenpo. We started with Kicking Set I ---- which I will never look at the same way again. I couldn't believe the effect learning to counterbalance had on the power, placement and recovery from my kick. Mr. Tatum flowed from kicking set 1 right into the some freestyle techniques and then brought aspects of kicking set 1 right into the freestyles combinations - it was incredible to see it all brought together. Mr. Tatum is an amazing instructor. the flow of the seminars, and the principles they taught were amazingly cohesive, but he made it seem so spontaneous.

I was fortunate to be able to share this seminar with my hubby Pete and my 13 year old son Philip, we had a lot to talk about on our long ride home and for a long time to come. So yesterday I broke the yellow and orange techs out and started finding places to work the principles of counterbalance in, and boy, let me tell you... I'm inspired!

Thanks again to Jeff and to all the folks attending the seminars (new faces and old and young) Especially thanks to GM Tatum for sharing his knowledge and little tidbits of teaching wisdom with us. Gotta love it!

Donna
    Sounds like a lot of fun, I wish I could have gone
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links