Thread: Reminder; Tomorrow December 13th, Mr. Planas will be training in Mentor, Ohio.

KenpoCoach is offline Parker-Planas-Doyle Kenpo
    Thanks

Default Reminder; Tomorrow December 13th, Mr. Planas will be training in Mentor, Ohio.

If your planning on attending you better get your bags packed and get on the road; times a wasting...

For those of you who would be interested to know; I will be at Mr. Doyle's as will Mr. Farnsworth. We sure would like the opportunity to meet you in person. Hope a few of the members of Kenpotalk will make an effort to come on over. Its going to be a good time for all.

KenpoCoach

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

What a great class this was!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jfarnsworth For This Useful Post:

KenpoCoach (12-15-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Reminder; Tomorrow December 13th, Mr. Planas will be training in Mentor, Ohio.

Hope everyone had a great time with Master Planas. It would be great if someone could do a review of today's seminar.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

KenpoCoach (12-15-2008)

Thanks

Default Re: Reminder; Tomorrow December 13th, Mr. Planas will be training in Mentor, Ohio.

I will do a short review later this afternoon. I hope my friend Jfarnsworth will read it and perhaps add his own uptake. Better yet, perhaps Jfarnsworth or someone else who was at the seminar will post their own review in this post. In this way, Others in the community will be able to learn about the importance of attending Mr. Planas seminars by reading all the reviews in this one place.

Master Planas will be in Mentor, Ohio next March 29th. Please try to make it this and every opportunity to be with and to train with Master Planas. He is older now and did speak several times to the those in attendance yesterday that he only has a few years of training left to give and therefore he is very interested in training only those people who are sincere in wanting to know Parker Kenpo as SGM Parker and he wants it to be understood.

Thank you,

KenpoCoach
    "Rank is no good unless it’s respected." Quoted from Mr. Richard Planas.

If your traveling through the Central Ohio (Mount Vernon) area and would like to meet with KenpoCoach either for some lively one on one discussions or for some "On the mat" Kenpo training please send an email to: Lcsplain@embarqmail.com and I'll see if I can make that happen.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoCoach For This Useful Post:

True2Kenpo (12-14-2008)

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Most of all the notes I took were small, nuances that will hopefully make my short 3 more dynamic. Actually, I know it will with practice & time. We really didn't cover much in the way of techniques this time around but the way I feel... the forms are just as important to know as well as fine tune.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jfarnsworth For This Useful Post:

KenpoCoach (12-15-2008),Rob Broad (12-14-2008),True2Kenpo (12-14-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoCoach View Post
    I will do a short review later this afternoon. I hope my friend Jfarnsworth will read it and perhaps add his own uptake. Better yet, perhaps Jfarnsworth or someone else who was at the seminar will post their own review in this post. In this way, Others in the community will be able to learn about the importance of attending Mr. Planas seminars by reading all the reviews in this one place.

Master Planas will be in Mentor, Ohio next March 29th. Please try to make it this and every opportunity to be with and to train with Master Planas. He is older now and did speak several times to the those in attendance yesterday that he only has a few years of training left to give and therefore he is very interested in training only those people who are sincere in wanting to know Parker Kenpo as SGM Parker and he wants it to be understood.

Thank you,

KenpoCoach
    I was unable to attend, but I would like to say Mr. Planas will be teaching at my school on the weekend of January 16th. If you are interested in attending, please contact me at 412-621-5425 or feel free to e-mail me at RyerAcademy@aol.com. As KenpoCoach said, only a few more years??? I better get studying and so should you!
    Ryer Martial Arts Academy
    5440 Centre Avenue
    Pittsburgh, PA 15232
    (412) 621-KICK
    www.RyerAcademy.com

The Highest Quality Martial Arts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to True2Kenpo For This Useful Post:

KenpoCoach (12-15-2008)

Thanks

I plan to post this review of Grand Master Planas December 2008 seminar both in the Events category and in the General Karate Category. I am doing this because I was asked within the Events category to do a review and because having spent much time assembling this review I feel that it will get more exposure as a separate listing.

So I begin:

Any person can strike another person. Whether it is a punch or a kick the act of striking another person does not mean the person has complete knowledge of a fighting Art.

Master Planas told me about 1 year ago; -There are many great fighters in the world, but being a great fighter does not mean that they are great Kenpoist.- (Paraphrased) He went on to name several well known Kenpoist who are great fighters but are poor practitioners of Parker Kenpo in his professional opinion. (Please be aware, that Master Planas did not say anything negative about the people themselves, their athletic abilities, their martial art abilities or their ability to market themselves and to become successful entrepreneurs. His words were directed only at their abilities as Parker Kenpoist.)

These people make their living teaching others the Art of Parker Kenpo and yet, in Mr. Planas’s opinion, they teach it wrong. (If you should want to know who these people are; you will need to talk directly to Master Planas for that information.)

So I have asked myself several questions over and over since that time:

1. What is it about the American Kenpo that all these Instructors are practicing that is so wrong in the eyes of Mr. Planas that he would target them as being poor Kenpoist? (I knew some of the names that Master Planas gave and in some cases I have even trained with these people at their seminars. The material I saw these people perform and the explanations that they gave their audience seemed to make sense to me at the time.)

2. So I wondered; what is it about me that make me so blind to the false teachings of these other publicly and routinely acknowledged Masters of American Kenpo? Why can’t I easily see what it is Master Planas is seeing?

3. Why do I feel that I am not free to follow the crowd and simply accept the teachings of these other Kenpoist? What is it within me that cause me to want to learn Parker Kenpo as it was intended?

I began to wonder if I was now blessed or cursed that Master Planas has pointed out the other Instructor shortcomings. I knew one thing for certain; I did not want and do not want Master Planas ever looking at me in that same way!

Eventually I reasoned that because Master Planas wrote out the Art (the original manuscripts) for SGM Parker and because he is directly and expressly, through his direct efforts both past and present, the one man who personally carried the Parker art forward into the minds of all Kenpoist in our society today. That there is only one person capable of and whose opinion is supreme enough to make that ultimate judgment of the other Parker Kenpo Instructors and that one person is Grand Master Richard Planas.

I also decided that these other people (Instructors) making a living teaching their version of the art of Parker Kenpo are simply mimicking what it is they understood the art to be. They are doing the art without usage of the proper knowledge of why they do it. Mimicking the art is as bad as flaying ones arms and legs around striking other people and then calling what you do an “Art”. Of course, the only way a person would know who is faking verses who really know the art is if that person had intimate knowledge of where the Kenpo information came from. This is of course difficult for a new Kenpoist to do. New Kenpoist get fooled all the time. We newbies actually need someone to tell us where to go to get the authentic training we desire. We should know if we study our Kenpo history, that there is but one person who all established or aspiring Kenpoist can not fool when they apply their Kenpo, and that one person is Grand Master Planas. He knows who, what, where, when and the whys that makes up the Parker Kenpo Art. He was there at the beginning. He was and still is instrumental in moving Parker Kenpo forward into history. He is the one man that can definitively tell us who to trust for our training.

I want to coach others in the Art of Parker Kenpo. Therefore I want to know Kenpo intimately. I want future generations of Kenpoist I teach to come away from the experience actually knowing the Art of Parker Kenpo.

I have been in training steadily with Master Planas for a little over a year now and yesterday’s seminar has now provided many of the answers to these and other questions I have had. I am sure future training seminars will fill-in the answers to the rest of my unmentioned questions one day. I saw for the first time the Art that is Kenpo come to life.

Short Form III is a critically important Form to learn. The Forms I & II are considered as being “Basics and Exercise Forms”. They teach you the General Rules and Principles of Motion. Short Form III is called the “Technique Form” as the Form uses Techniques to form its structure. The form is also known as the “Grab Form”, the “Double Strike Form”, the “Marriage of Gravity Form” and the “Elbows Form” because all of these elements are contained within it. However, the three main tracts of Short Form III following the General Rules of Kenpo as it pertains to naming something are as follows: First we note that this Form can be called the Grab Form as every attack in the Form is based upon being grabbed. Then we recognize the second tract of the Form as being based upon the major weapons used in the Form which are the Elbows (Note that the Elbows are primarily used in a downward motion.) Thus the Form can be called the Elbows Form. The downward motion of the elbows represents the Marriage of Gravity concept and so the third tract of the Form is the usage of Marriage of Gravity Power Principles. So we can say this is also the Marriage of Gravity Form.

This Form uses the techniques of Kenpo that the student should already have been taught. In this way the student is then free to think about the Principles used within each Form Techniques without the need to learn the basic techniques themselves at the same time. I used the words Form Techniques because I want to draw attention to the reader that there is a difference between the stand alone Techniques of Kenpo and the techniques used in the Forms. Forms Techniques are designed to show other aspects of the Basics contained within the Kenpo system. Whereas, the stand alone technique is battle ready. In the Forms you are being exposed to the methodology of using the Basics to develop your art. In the stand alone techniques you are being taught a combination of Basics that you can directly use when the opportunity presents itself in battle. This Form shows the student how to bring all the basics and the principles contained within the lower techniques and lower Forms together in a cohesive way. It is this bringing together for the first time all the elements of Kenpo instruction received by the student up to this point that the student begins to see how the interconnected parts of Kenpo come together to show the whole that is the art.

If the Instructor is not aware of the importance of this Form and if the student learns to simply mimic the motion of the Form without knowledge of the whys contained within the Form, the student can progress in belt level, but will never understand how it is that the art actually is to be performed. It is so easy to memorize this Form just by memorizing the technique order that many students learn this Form rapidly and then move on to the next. In other words; This is the point in the training of the student that if the student just blows through Short Form III and moves on to Long III and then Form IV without proper instruction that student will one day be judged by Master Planas or someone like him to be inferior as a Parker Kenpoist. Further to the point, Short Form III and Long Form III set the student into proper Kenpo motion which enables the student to move and flow correctly when practicing Form IV, V and VI. If the student does not learn Short Form III correctly then all of his future learning will suffer.

Short Form III, being a short Form, only shows one side of the material the student is to learn out of the both Forms III the Short and the long. The other side will be followed up in Long Form III. So again it is critical that these two Forms are learned correctly and thoroughly. Please also notice that Short Form III is the last of the Short Forms From this point forward and going into Form IV there will be no further Forms broken down into two halves.

Master Planas does not want to leave a Form segment unfinished up at Mr. Doyle’s. Short Form III took up most of the day yesterday. But we started it and finished it completely. Master Planas said at the end of the seminar that it is now time to take the Kenpo information out of our “short term memory” learned at the seminar and put it into our long term memory by practicing the material at home. Otherwise we will soon forget the material and will have to relearn it when the time to do short Form III once again comes around. (Probably in about 3 years. Our next session with Master Planas is March 29th 2008. We will probably start Long Form III- KenpoCoach)

Class began about 10:30 and finished about 5:30 that night. We started with Finger set and then moved into Short Form III. We had lunch from 12:30 to 1:45. During the lunch session certain members met in private to discuss the needs and the operations of the Ohio Instructors College. Master Planas was in attendance. Once back on the mat we completed the Form and finished the day going over Blue Belt techniques.

During class we not only learned about Short Form III but also some history of how Kenpo was developed and also how it was changed over the years. We learned for example where the idea of moving the belt knot to one side for women came from and also where Kicking set originated. Mr. Planas made note that none of the Kicks used within kicking set are used in any of our Forms. Further, that we as martial artist must know how to kick but with regards to Kenpo we are basically a hand system. We also discussed how the first ½ of the Salutation is Chinese in origination with the second half of the Salutation coming from Mitose and is therefore of Japanese origination. We discussed the concept of Category of Completion as it pertains to Forms in particular. And we also learned how to fill the dead spaces found within 4 beat techniques using the examples found in Finger Set.

Several General Kenpo Rules (KR) were discussed as were many Principles (P) given to show how the elements of the rules were designed to work. As you will see below; I have shared some of this information with you in the following way:

Planas Rules = PLR, General Kenpo Rules = GKR, Principles = P, Finger Set rules = FS, Forms Rules = FR, Basics Rules = BR, Rule of Motion = RM, Technique Rules = TR, Category of Completion = CC.

This identification system may seem cumbersome at first, but I can assure you that all the necessary rules for this review will be assembled together. Which is far better then at a seminar? When Mr. Planas speaks the information comes out as he wants it to come out. At a seminar the information will not come together as neatly as it is going to be presented here.

Some examples of what was discussed at the seminar:

PLR: Never shorten the material, when practicing Kenpo whether it be Sets, Forms or Techniques go through all of the material. Leave nothing out of your practice as that is the way the Kenpo system begins to show neglect.

PLR: All martial arts teach to develop a base and to Block. The successful fighter learns to counter with each exchange.

PLR: Kenpoist do everything the other martial art do as long as the technique of the other martial art does not take away from the Basics of our system.

PLR: In our Kenpo system we call certain actions as being minor or major. In my opinion minors are hard hits and majors are harder hits.

PLR: A Mistake uncorrected is twice made. The mistake will carry on forever until the Kenpoist decides to change it. To change it you must apply your brain power to control the change. If you stop using your brain power then habit takes over and the mistake will continue to be made forever.

RM: When explaining Kenpo motion the Founding Fathers (Mr. Planas) always used a particular order when naming the elements.
    P: Named the power side first.
    P: The angle of execution second.
    P: The method of execution third.

RM: If you misread a telegraphed action from your opponent, then it is your fault and not the fault of the Technique that your counter did not work. You must spend time practicing your Forms and Techniques and watching for the tell-tale signs, the telegraphing of your opponents intentions if you want to properly defend yourself in a fight. Short Form III is an excellent Form to study the telegraphed intentions of your opponent. Being the Grab Form allows the opponent to slowly attack you, this gives you time to notice his telegraphing habits.

GKR; we learned that when practicing our Kenpo material we are to do the material as realistic as we can.
    P: This applies to all Techniques, Forms and Sets.

GKR: Never touch when you can hit.
    P: Touch only when opponent is out of range to hit. Examples used; In Technique Crossing Talon we hit the arm. In SF III Crossing Talon we pin the arm. What’s the difference?

GKR: You do not want to cause a “What-if” event when doing your Techniques. If a “What-if” happens it must develop out of your opponents actions.

GKR: Never let a minor control a Major.

GKR: You never hit with your hand, arm, foot or leg. You always hit using your whole body.

GKR: In the old days, you took both a written and a physical test for your belt testing. The written test came first. If you failed the written test you were not allowed to take the physical test for your Belt.

FS: Finger-set is to be practice with as realistic of eye pokes, claws, rakes and gouges as we can make them.
    P: The Kenpoist must thrust, rip or claw with all the energy they can muster while standing in their isolation Horse stance.

CC: Understanding of the Category of Completion concept can start within the Finger Set.
    P: Identify what Basic weapon, power side, angle of execution and method of execution that was used in the set.
    P: And then look for other variation to these same Basic weapons elsewhere in the Techniques and Forms.

FS: The Principle Finger Set taught now is properly called the Salutation Set.

FS: SGM Parker never created a “moving finger set”.

FR: Kenpo Forms do not represent a fight. “Forms teach Rules and Principles of Motion that everything has a reverse and an opposite and give you examples of that.”

FR: During the Salutation we always show the sign language to the audience starting with our right (strong side) hand to show the Form number over the background of our Left hand. Then moving to our left (weak side) hand over to our right side to show the Form number over the background of our right hand.
    P: The purpose of which is to show the audience to our right and to our left what Form we will be doing. It is not to add movement to our Salutation to make the Salutation more dramatic by making flashing rolling type of body action

FR: Only Technique Forms use the Salutation.
    P: In 1970 Mr. Parker allowed kids into the system. In order to give the kids more mat time during competitions the Salutation was allowed to be added as a prefix to the lower Forms. Outside of competition forms work the original rule stands.

I could go on and on. We covered all the Forms techniques and all of Finger Set and finished the day going over Fallen Cross, Crossed Twigs, Flashing Mace and Gift of Destiny. As far as I am concerned each Form Technique contained in Short Form III is a separate rule of the Form and therefore, each Form Technique has its own set of Principles. This would hold true for the Finger Set as well. Each poke, whip and claw represents separate rules within Finger Set. It follows that each rule then has its own set of Principles as well.

In closing allow me to point out that there are many dedicated Kenpoist that lament the fact that they never met or trained with Senior Grand Master Parker. Many know they could have trained with him and regret never taking the time to go see him in person when he was alive. There are those that came too late onto the Kenpo scene to have ever met the man, but wish that they could somehow bring him back just one more time to explain something they want to know about his Kenpo.

Grand Master Planas is not ready to “kick the bucket” anytime soon, however, he has expressed that he has only a few more years left in him to train others. His desire is to train only those who really want to learn the Art of Parker-Planas Kenpo. I sincerely hope that those of you reading this that have never been with him never live to regret having had the chance to train with him, to ask him questions, and to learn the proper way of executing our beloved Kenpo before he moves on and out of our society.

Sincerely,

KenpoCoach
    "Rank is no good unless it’s respected." Quoted from Mr. Richard Planas.

If your traveling through the Central Ohio (Mount Vernon) area and would like to meet with KenpoCoach either for some lively one on one discussions or for some "On the mat" Kenpo training please send an email to: Lcsplain@embarqmail.com and I'll see if I can make that happen.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links