Thread: Up-Coming Pennsylvania/ Ohio Events

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Up-Coming Pennsylvania/ Ohio Events

Grandmaster Planas will be conducting several seminars in Pennsylvania and Ohio towards the end of December and early January. Here are some details in regard to these events-

December 26 through 30th, 2005
    Eastern Pennsylvania Tour
    Contact Mr. Mike Cappi at 215.361.CHOP or by e-mail at cappi@voicenet.com

January 6th through 8th, 2006
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Contact Mr. Joshua Ryer at 412.621.KICK or by e-mail at True2Kenpo@aol.com

January 12th through 14th, 2006
    Ohio Tour
    Contact Mr. Joe Doyle at 440.255.6697

We hope you can attend. Good journey!
    Ryer Martial Arts Academy
    5440 Centre Avenue
    Pittsburgh, PA 15232
    (412) 621-KICK
    www.RyerAcademy.com

The Highest Quality Martial Arts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Up-Coming Pennsylvania/ Ohio Events

Josh

How did the seminar go last weekend? care to share any of the details?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: Up-Coming Pennsylvania/ Ohio Events

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Josh

How did the seminar go last weekend? care to share any of the details?
    I apologize for not providing details sooner.

The weekend event with Grandmaster Planas, January 6th through the 8th, was one of the best events yet that we have hosted here at the UPK!

We started the weekend off on Friday night with a Meet and Greet Session for my Kenpo Kids program. They had the opportunity to talk with him, ask questions, and get their belts signed. All of the kids were really excited to meet him since we talk about him quite often in classes. I have always thought that knowing your history and lineage is a very important, if not essential part of your training, so the children really loved this opportunity! (Here is link to pic of our Kenpo Kids with GM Planas- http://www.unitedparkerskenpo.com/fi...nar__kids_.jpg)

After the Meet and Greet Session, we began our adult seminar where we focused on "Basics and Body Mechanics". It really solidified Mr. Huk's saying of "Weak basics, weak techniques. Strong basics, strong techniques."

During Saturday's session, we trained "Problem Techniques." We broke down many techniques, a few off hand were Shield and Sword, Shield and Mace, Wings of Silk, and the list goes on... It was great to go through each technique and break it down to each and every reason why!

We finished then on Sunday with Kenpo forms. We began with Short 1 and worked through half of Long 2.

Consequently, we had one of best weekends filled with so much information and we know there are many areas to improve upon.

Of course this was just a brief outline of what the weekend entailed! The real key is to attend one of our events and I promise you will not regret the trip!

Good journey and we look forward to hosting Grandmaster Planas again very soon!

Respectfully,
    Joshua Ryer
    Ryer Martial Arts Academy
    5440 Centre Avenue
    Pittsburgh, PA 15232
    (412) 621-KICK
    www.RyerAcademy.com

The Highest Quality Martial Arts

Thanks

Dang.

If only I had unlimited time, unlimited resources and no responsibilities!

Blast it!

Then I could go to all the seminars and spend my days doing karate.

I knew I should've won the lotter when I had the chance! But no, I decided not to buy that ticket. Ugh.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Same here.

I would just like to have more monies to go to these seminars.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    Same here.

I would just like to have more monies to go to these seminars.
    I hear that.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

I got the money...they're just always far away and what I don't have much of is time! The only reason our school is going to make it to MD in August is due to the advanced notice that will allow us to prepare.

I don't know why the South is so far out of the loop when it comes to Kenpo. Example, there are over 20 TKD schools in the immediate area, we're the only Kenpo school this side of Atlanta! ...grumble...grumble.

Anybody got any suggestions on how we might change this? I've thought about trying to contact different Kenpo schools in the South-East and forming a kind of "web" for communication and collaboration. If we all pulled together we might be able to get some notables into the area for seminars and such.....hmmm, maybe a new thread?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Up-Coming Pennsylvania/ Ohio Events

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I don't know why the South is so far out of the loop when it comes to Kenpo.

Anybody got any suggestions on how we might change this? I've thought about trying to contact different Kenpo schools in the South-East and forming a kind of "web" for communication and collaboration. If we all pulled together we might be able to get some notables into the area for seminars and such.....hmmm, maybe a new thread?
    I would disagree about the notables not being in the area, and that you have to create some "web". You live less than an hour away from one of the 4 busiest airports in the US (LA, NY, Chicago & Atlanta). The flights to ATL are cheaper than other places so you have the means to bring them down. People like Zach Whitson are right down the street (Tenn) and flights from LAX wouldn't be that expensive. You have a school with a solid group of people. You could also bring in Sean Kelley (FL), Rick Fowler (Dallas), Brian Duffy (Austin) who also won't price gouge you, and a host of California people that wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg (but be careful, because some of those Cali folks are pricey). You could do this yourself and not have to wait on others. It might even draw people into the system, thereby creating the reality you are looking for and providing a greater service to the system.

The big issue is that of apples and oranges. Many Southern schools curriculums don't follow a standard (EPAK or Tracy's) using the excuse that many techniques are busy work or old, and that they are teaching the updated, modified stuff "that really works", combining systems with what Kenpo they know and in some cases they just haven't had the access to the base material, so the draw of bringing in a guy that teaches the Ed Parker's base curriculum doesn't have the same appeal because he can tune you up on material.

The standard Ed Parker base is the vehicle for the principles and concepts. Additionally, there is the politics of bringing a 5th thru 10th degree Kenpo Black Belt to your school without "permission" or with the idea in the back of you mind that maybe your organization head won't like it. Or he might forbid it or ex-communicate you from his organization. Because....then you might see something that would convert you to that seminar instructor's organization or way of teaching. Finally, there is the issue of a person building their whole martial arts career on a particular method or system of Kenpo and gaining high rank only to be exposed to the base form of Kenpo and having to start all over. Most don't have the kind of humility that will allow this so they avoid situations that make them question their belts worth...

How do you get people to support? Have they guest instructor teach a belt chart over to days. "Learn EPAK Orange Belt base techiques along with the concepts and principles", next time half of purple and short 2 and the sets, etc....That way everyone moves up in their knowledge of the system. But do it with a guy that knows the system.

These are just my rantings and they don't apply to anyone in particular...

Good Luck, jb

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links