Thread: Camp Kenpo 2007- Redding area, CA

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Camp Kenpo 2007- Redding area, CA

Hello all-

The second annual Camp Kenpo 2007 is coming up in September- 10 miles north of Redding, CA in the Whiskeytown Environmental Camp area.

This is the second year Mr. Scott Halsey from Redding is in charge of the camp- previously, it was run by Randy and Rolayne Bashaw in Hayfork, CA. Instructors for this year include Mr. Halsey, Mr. Huk Planas, Mr. Frank Trejo, Mr. Bob White and Mr. Ed Planas.

The dates of the camp are Saturday and Sunday, September 15th and 16th- classes begin at 10:00am.

The cost is $130 and includes all seminars, meals and one night stay in the cabins they have there on mattresses- they are bunk-style beds. The camp has showers and bathroom facilities and is handicap accessible.

There are classes for kids 8 and over also.

For further information call Mr. Halsey's studio: (530) 246-4003

Thanks

Default Re: Camp Kenpo 2007- Redding area, CA

Woo Hoo. I'm there baby.

I'm becoming a camp-o-holic. Lovin' it.

Camps keep me seriously motivated. I just need to try to avoid getting hurt at them. I think I'd like them better.

Anyone else think they can make it?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Is there a website, sounds like alot of fun
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpo0324 View Post
    Is there a website, sounds like a lot of fun
    I don't think so. The area it's in is a small town which is covered by a giant rock. It's hard to get internet access from under the large rock where they live. I'll nudge Tara though and ask her.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Actually, Redding itself is rather large, however, I come from under the large rock of which Amy speaks......a smaller town, just south of there.....she just loves to tease me about my interesting ways.......

There is no website for the event- best bet would be to call Mr. Halsey for more info. at his studio in Redding- number listed on the original post. He can send you a brochure, etc.
    OUR NEW SCHOOL WEBPAGE IS:
    Sacramento Kenpo Karate

If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

Thanks

The event was a blast!

This event was attended by a lot of people who Tara had trained with coming up and she was pleased to have her old peeps meet her new.

Tara and I went up and brought my husband (purple belt) and our student Chris (also a purple belt and posts on this forum) and I was quite proud that they made us look so good.

Scott put on a really fun event.

We saw Bob White, who taught sparring. He's a terrific guy and a great instructor. This is the second time I've seen him and he was a lot of fun. We worked on guaging distances, the importance of turning the supporting leg on several kicks and a lot more.

Frank Trejo taught us some wonderful lockflow drills. Tara and I were putting each other in, then getting out of quite a few locks. Frank was in fine form and was showing us all sorts of cool stuff. We will be doing that lockflow stuff in class tomorrow night, I'm sure.

I met Huk Planas for the first time. We worked on Flashing Wings primarily. We discussed the importance of moving past the target to be in position for the next strike and he also talked about how lots of people in kenpo don't have good basics and how everything is just basics. So now he goes around teaching basics.

In Scott Halsey's seminar, we did a giant, rotating technique line. Tons of fun. It's great to do it with all black belts so we don't have to spend any time explaining techniques. We just whip, bang, smacked our way through.

Ed Planas did a seminar on sticks. It was fun. Tara and I would've enjoyed it more, but it was the last seminar on the last day and we hadn't gotten any sleep the night before. I'd like to say it was because of all the fun and merriment we had, but mostly it was because SOMEONE in our cabin snored like a buzzsaw ALL NIGHT LONG. I'm not going to name names because Chris knows who he is.

We did enjoy making references to our lack of sleep for the entire day on Sunday. Chris now enjoys a unique sort of reputation. One of our cabin-mates took his mattress and went to go sleep in his car. He probably got a lot better sleep than the rest of us did.

On Saturday night, Huk and Frank played the guitar and several of us sang. That was fun, but I'm a bit hoarse today.

I was also in somewhat fine form giving out rations of razzing to anyone in my vicinity. All in good fun and people gave it back just as readily. My kind of good time.

I'm sure Tara will have further input.

--Amy
    Last edited by amylong; 09-17-2007 at 01:52 PM.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Wow looks great! Wish I could make it seems like I'm always working.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Well, I think Amy summed it up pretty well overall.

I had a blast again this year and it was fun to finally have my Sac. peeps meet my Redding peeps. Now when I refer to old training buddies, my instructor, etc., Amy and crew will know who I am talking about and can put a face to the name and vice versa.

So glad we got to do the tech. line again this year for Mr. Halsey's seminar- working on that many bodies for that period of time is truly tiring- but what good fun!! Having Mr. White there this year was a nice addition- that guy knows his sparring and is a great teacher- hope I can learn more from him in the future. He and his wife are some of the nicest folks you'll meet too! Mr. Trejo and Mr. Ed Planas' seminars were fun and we did some different things I hadn't seen before. Mr. Planas (Huk) usually works on a bit more than he did this time- but I still learned some things I can improve on thru what we covered.

Already looking forward to next year!!

Tara
    OUR NEW SCHOOL WEBPAGE IS:
    Sacramento Kenpo Karate

If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shodan For This Useful Post:

amylong (09-18-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links