Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing the Interest Waters for Kenpo Ohana in Santa Rosa, CA

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Default Testing the Interest Waters for Kenpo Ohana in Santa Rosa, CA

So, these kats in Texas had a fun idea: What if we invited a bunch of kenpoists from various orgs to come out and play for a day, teach, learn, train, eat, drink? Politics left at the door; bring your gi, and a willingness to train, learn, and have fun.

I liked it, and am a bit jealous that they pulled it off in Texas, but we ain't done it here in the Golden State...the Mecca of kenpo. I'm fixin to facilitate one here, and want to get a sample of "Who's interested"?

Any one black or up can teach (there will be a limited number of teaching slots opened, but around 8 1 hour slots); 10 bucks for the day, wether you attedn one or all, those teachig a slot will get their fee waived but won't make much of anything (you'll have to do it for love of the art and a desire to share, not cash). Other details to be worked out and posted if enough interest is shown to make it happen.

I'd like to see AK and CK folks from any and all orgs & lineages; kaju, kosho, tracy, ... Instead of a flashy awards dinner afterwards, food and beer at a local Pizza joint or Chinese Buffet. I have a couple locations scouted, each with BBQ, so we can grill lunch and visit during the break.

Any takers? I'm aiming for 2 to 3 months from now, to give enough time to secure a date, get out invitations, and give people time to jockey their schedules.
    Regards,

Dave

PS -- I'll be gone for a few days over the weekend, but will check back in and get on task with this after I return, if anyone is hep for taking part.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (05-24-2007),seikaryusensei (05-30-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: Testing the Interest Waters for Kenpo Ohana in Santa Rosa, CA

Hmmm. I tried to spear-head one of these awhile back but it never happened. I would love to attend! and I bet I will be the only Kara-Ho person there...

Cheers!
    The above is just my opinion.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

How far is Santa Rosa? It's hard for me to get time off work lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

You'd think you would get a heck of a turn out in California with all the Kenpo out there!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Don't think I could do this summer but I may be up for a trip later this year.

Thanks

Everyone knows that Las Vegas is the Kenpo Mecca, lol! But, I think you've got a great idea. I'm only a brown, but I couldn try to talk my instructor into going.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

I'm in! You're only an hour away.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (05-30-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Santa Rosa...? Did you say Santa Rosa??? I might be VERY interested if you have an idea of when and where. Is this open to all kempoists? A Gathering of the Eagles type thing??? Your post signature says YOU bring the beer... (and the doom, of course!). That might get LOT of the good stuff on board. BAM!
    Joa Schwinn, J.D. - Sensei
    Seika Kage Ryu Kempo Jiu Jitsu

11. The Following User Says Thank You to seikaryusensei For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I live close enough (Ukiah) that I would love to attend a meetup. Never been to one before though, so I'm not sure what to expect. Is this for black belts and above, or can a yellow belt attend and learn?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to maruchan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh, I will sooo be there!

Not the last week of July or first week of August, but pretty much any other time.

And it seems that only black and above can TEACH, but any kenpoist can come, from what I read. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Maybe we can get DangeRuss to come down.

I'd come and I'd bring people. I have contacts at some local schools around here too who might want to participate.

Get a date as far ahead as possible and I'll put the word out on this end.

Steve LaBounty is in that area and may enjoy coming to hang out and I know some Marin County people who might be up for it. I'll certainly let them all know.

Great idea!!!

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Texas and California are the 2 biggest of the 50 states. I can imagine why Texas had it happen. California shouldn't be a problem due to the per capita there. Here in Ohio. Not so much. It would be a good thing I'm sure. Would like to attend such an event but wouldn't be possible for me. Good luck with putting this together.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post
    Here in Ohio. Not so much. It would be a good thing I'm sure. Would like to attend such an event but wouldn't be possible for me.
    I don't think it would be hard to get all the kenpoists in Ohio together.

Just give him a call and see if both of you can coordinate your schedules. lol

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seikaryusensei View Post
    Santa Rosa...? Did you say Santa Rosa??? I might be VERY interested if you have an idea of when and where. Is this open to all kempoists? A Gathering of the Eagles type thing??? Your post signature says YOU bring the beer... (and the doom, of course!). That might get LOT of the good stuff on board. BAM!
    Open to all kempoists, especially you, since you're the location I'm most hoping to have this at.

For those not knowing, SeikaRyu dojo is a very nice space, and there is a little green patch with a table right next to the parking lot. Room there for a grill and a cooler.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

I'm getting some cool responses in e-mails and private messages. I'm putting together an e-mail broadcast to kenpo schools in spitting distance, inviting them to attend and teach, and starting the ball rolling with schedule coordination.

If you know of a school or individuals that might like to attend, e/m me or have them e/m me at my kenpochiro1@yahoo.com address.

It's coming together, and looks like it's gonna be fun. Show up for love of the art, and to hang for a day with people who share a passion.

Best Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crane557 View Post
    How far is Santa Rosa? It's hard for me to get time off work lol.
    From So Cal, depending on where you are, it's about a 6 to 9 hour drive (depending on how you drive). My folks are still in Huntington Beach, and when I drive down to visit, that's about how long it takes me. Depends on whether or not I drive like a bat outta hell, and how many hours I spend navigating the Southern California freeways.

I can get 85 to 90 miles in an hour on the 5, then have it take me 2-3 hours to get from Saugus to HB.

Santa Rosa is approx 1 hr north of San Francisco on the 101. Compared to what you're used to in So Cal, there are a lot of trees, lots of open space, lots of agricultural-industrial space, and the hills still have not been covered by the yuppie fungus of housing that infects Orange County. It's beautiful up here, and you're close to Wine Country, nearby the Russian River and Gold Coast country, and (most importantly) the people up here are still nice, and say things like "good morning", "please", "excuse me", and "thank you". Traffic is despised by locals if they have to slow down to 40 mph for a few miles (just once if they had to sit on the 5 at 5:00).

The drive is too intense to do twice in one day, so you should plan on a couple days out.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

John Brewer (05-30-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maruchan View Post
    I live close enough (Ukiah) that I would love to attend a meetup. Never been to one before though, so I'm not sure what to expect. Is this for black belts and above, or can a yellow belt attend and learn?
    A yellow belt will gain some great insights and experiences that will inform your kenpo now, and in years to come.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    I'm in! You're only an hour away.
    I will hope to see you there. You've been in this stuff for a spell, and I know your Professor has some interesting melds of kenpo with Chinese systems. It would be great to have your experience present.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

jdinca (05-30-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I would love to come also. JD and I can carpool. :P My wife is from Santa Rosa, we head up that way fairly often (her parents now live in Duncans Mills along River Rd) so it's really a familiar area.

As for timing, both JD and I are gone the last weekend in July, and I am out the weekend of August 18...but other than that I should be good to go.
    All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small. - Lao Tzu

26. The Following User Says Thank You to tiktok86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiktok86 View Post
    I would love to come also. JD and I can carpool. :P My wife is from Santa Rosa, we head up that way fairly often (her parents now live in Duncans Mills along River Rd) so it's really a familiar area.

As for timing, both JD and I are gone the last weekend in July, and I am out the weekend of August 18...but other than that I should be good to go.
    I don't think it would be too hard to get a carload.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    I will hope to see you there. You've been in this stuff for a spell, and I know your Professor has some interesting melds of kenpo with Chinese systems. It would be great to have your experience present.
    I'm gone the last week in July until the third week of August. Other than that, I just need enough warning to make sure I'm off work. I would love to see the how the various systems differ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links