Thread: The GrandMinor Seminar-Camp Thingy!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Default The GrandMinor Seminar-Camp Thingy!

This started on another forum, but I liked the idea, and want to see it succeed, so I'm re-posting it here. Originally, he invited any Seniors interested to come and teach for free, with the purpose of sharing their take on the at to a public that often argues about stuff they know nothing about. It would give the next generation of black belts a chance to see what their cousins and uncles were doing. He apparently didn't get enough (any?) bites, so he's aimed lower than grandMASTERS, and has extended the invitation to GrandMINORS.

If I can engineer a way to get there, I will most certainly show. I've even e-mailed him as an interested minor to teach for a bloc. No politics; just play, bleed, learn, have fun, and make some new friends or enemies, depending on your nature and intent. Incidentally, the invitation to seniors as keynote anchors for the event still stands. Let any you communicate with know about the event/invitation. I know financial requirements will cause many not to be able to attend, but it sure would be a kick for the ones who did/could.

ORIGINAL POST:

OK, new approach! I received no responses from possible instructors, no problem, no insult, no surprise. I realize they are busy with their own thing. I will leave the window open if any want to participate. However, I did receive over 40 emails from people willing to help and offer assistance, way more than I thought would respond. SOO, thanks to some old friends who helped me "coin a term," here is my new proposal.

I'm calling it the "Grand Minor" seminar. If you are black belt from the ranks of third to sixth and would like a chance to teach, here is your opportunity. Again, get here and teach, no payment, just give. Who knows, we may find a few diamonds in the rough.

No politics please, keep all twisted panties at home and no "my instructor is cooler than your instructor garbage." Put up, shut up and have fun!

I have 24, two hour slots. That means we can have up to twenty-four guest instructors to teach for two hours. However, since this is about giving back I will ask an offering of $25.00 from each participant for 16 hours of instruction. Why the change here? I will need to rent some space, minimal $500.00. The rest will go to a hearing impaired child for hearing aides. I am a bit biased, one of my sons is deaf and this would be a great opportunity to hand a child a pair of hearing aides. I know of many families that can not afford it. I'll even post pictures of the family and provide an account of how the money was spent through my accountant so you can see that we did something positive. That's it. I'm keeping nothing.

I can only accommodate so many instructors, so if you want to share, let me know ASAP.

I can only handle 90 participants, so if you want to participate, let me know ASAP.

I will have a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Instructor on hand to teach, so we can play with some ground work.

Friday, before seminars begin, we'll have a version of a "throw-down, throw-up or whatever" so if you wish you can test your stuff.

Once the air is cleansed of the ego, we'll empty our cups and see what we can learn.

Right now the event will be scheduled for Friday October 26th to Sunday October 28, 2007.
    Potential for 24 two hour seminars.
    Held in East Greenville, Pennsylvania (20 minutes from Allentown, 40 from Philadelphia).

If you care to join us, give me a shout. Love to have you participate.

Blessings,
    David Todd
    dtodd@nni.com
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (05-02-2007),Celtic_Crippler (05-02-2007),John Brewer (05-03-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 907 Posts

Default Re: The GrandMinor Seminar-Camp Thingy!

I think this could be phenomenal. This is exactly what the kenpo world needs. As a student, it was saddening to me to know that the kenpo world had become so splintered and adversarial, and just thinking about what it could be if we could all come together should be both disheartening at what we lost, and awe inspiring at what we could be. I hope people take you up on this, and really, seriously, make the effort to learn from one another. I hope someday, all martial artists can put aside their egos and biases and come together. We could be the holders of one of the most powerful forces for good in the world, if we could only quit being so pissy with one another.

-Rob
    "All the time you're arguing over, is this kenpo, is that kenpo, you could be training!"

-Senior Instructor Bobby Thomas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

I totally agree. What a terrific way to show what's right with Kenpo in stead of the usual chest-thumping. Checkin' the schedule...

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    I totally agree. What a terrific way to show what's right with Kenpo in stead of the usual chest-thumping. Checkin' the schedule...

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Bill, if you go to teach I'll do all I can to come up as well! I've never subscribed to all the bickering either.

I've studied Parker curriculum, with a dash of Tracy, influenced by Jay T Will, and recently Sullivan & LeRoux. One thing I've learned is that it's all "Kenpo" at the core.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Thanks for putting this on here. I saw it elsewhere and thought it was a great idea. I wonder how much of the lack of response is due to the technologically challenged nature of many people? Great to see people wanting to just train!

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Default Re: Grand Minor Seminar

Thanks for putting it out there! Sorry your so far away.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I think this sounds great. It's only about 2 1/2 hours away, so if my schedule allows it, I would definitely like to join in as a participant. I'm always looking for good learning opportunities.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links