Thread: Gathering of the Eagles 2007?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

Default Gathering of the Eagles 2007?

Any more info out there on this event, other than the flyer that's already been posted?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (02-28-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Gathering of the Eagles 2007?

Funny you should ask that now, I was just looking at their website. Here is the link to what they have so far:

http://www.goe2007.com/

It looks like they have a pretty good start on here; hotel info, registration form, info about the gathering, a "first" list of seminars listing 23 seminars. They say more info will be available later, and this looks like the place to keep your eye on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Bo For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (02-28-2007)

Thanks

Ah, there's more information now. I also noticed that my GM (Richard Lee) has been added to the seminars.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Hmmm...very cool!
    All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small. - Lao Tzu

Thanks

Let me rephrase the question a bit. Other than what's publicly available on the website, does anybody have any information about the upcoming event? It's interesting that the format appears to be quite different from the last one in 2001.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

>What is the Z fold/Z stance?

The simple answer is "The Z Fold" is a speed/power enhancer (I will be teaching and demo'ing it at the Gathering of Eagles in June).

Good question and a very hard question for me to answer. It’s much easier to show, and then teach then it is to write about it.

Here goes. I’ll try to keep it simple enough but still give enough concepts to flesh in the bones of what I’m talking about.

The Z stance is a basic stance that I invented and I’ve been teaching all my clients since the late 70’s. I’ve been refining it up until about 1985, after it had proved its value in sparring, tournaments, Waza and real fighting. It is also great to use to enhance speed and power in knife fighting, single baton, and double baton fighting.

Listen closely. We teach this to all brand new students, and they can get it easily UNLESS they were taught something different first!

We do the Z stance as a replacement for the neutral bow. The Z stance is a power accelerator. The Z stance is a speed accelerator. (I am NOT badmouthing the neutral bow. I am explaining what I use instead, why I use it and how I figured it out.)

The weird thing is, the Z stance is BASED upon many of the concepts and the Master Keys of Edmund Parker, even though he never did teach it.

What happened back in the 70’s is that I taught a lot of law enforcement, some SWAT, a handful of mercenaries (Mike Echanis & Chuck Sanders, to name a few), a few bikers and a few prison guards.

For the law enforcement people, going into a neutral bow was not allowed because of legal ramifications.

For all of them, using a neutral bow was NOT fast enough.

For them they needed something a bit more covert, and something that was totally EXPLOSIVE.

After researching fight situations I noticed this little thing called the “startle effect”.

Massad Ayoob talked about it, and how he and his people had modified their gun fighting fire-fight training around it. Knife fighter and author Matt Braun talked about it with knife fighting.

1. When people get into a fight, and they have the INTENTION to kick kumdingee…

2. they tend to crouch.

3. Their feet are close together, about should width apart, or less.

4. Their knees are bent.

5. Their body’s weight is on the balls of the feet.

6. They are slightly shifting that weight, in a partial “constant movement” or “hot rocks” movement like a cat gently clawing (sheathing and unsheathing its claws) on the chest of someone it loves.

7. Their pubic bone is tilted down (like they are urinating on their ankles).

8. Their shoulders are a bit forward of their hips.

9. Their chin is down.

10. Their head is tilted forward.

11. They are looking through the roots of their eyebrows.

Here’s my main point. People in a fight do that “Startle Stance” automatically and naturally. It’s a defensive/aggressive attack posture built into our minds and bodies when we are born and is totally reflexive “if” your mind is on the intention of “get him”.

I also researched something called the Reactionary Sequence (I got this from NLP), and its importance to fighting. A small part of the RS is the Marine Corp Color Code of combat (I got this from handgun trainer Jeff Cooper), which is totally about awareness prior to a fight so that decisions can be effectively made and you can place your body, mind and spirit into that state of preparedness necessary for winning.

1. Aware

2. Decide

3. Prepare

4. Take action

5. Calibrate if it worked or not

6. Exit, or start over if you need to do more

So the Startle stance is a necessary portion of the Z stance, and all Waza and all sparring are done from a

1. “Neutral Non-Assuming Stance”

2. Or from one of the several variations of the “Fighting Forward Aggressive Stance”,

3. The “Fighting Side aggressive stance”

4. Or the “Hot Rocks Stances”.

5. All of these stances incorporate the Master Keys of the Startle stance and of the Z Stance.

When ever you are startled you go into a natural crouch, NOT a neutral bow.

When under stress, attempting to go into a neutral bow will only lead to more confusion and more stress.

And, when in a neutral bow, you are only prepared to do one of the SLOWEST closing gaps known to mankind, the step-drag. Also, the step-drag is for short range fighting, up to about three and one-half feet.

All of the Z Stances coil your spring. Let me give you some examples.

Here are three of them.

Like when you push a dart into a dart gun, that spring is coiled. Like when you go down onto the starter’s blocks to run the 50 yard dash in 9 seconds. Like a crouching tiger is lying in wait, waiting for its prey to reach its killing range.

So, the above mentioned Reactionary Sequence has 6 levels to it, and all these levels are interacting all the time, especially in Mass Attacks.

To assist in better awareness, I taught my martial arts clients a Kahuna technique called “Advanced Hakalau Prime”.

This AHP does several things automatically after it is integrated into your training routine.

1. It removes stress from your mind,

2. So relaxation is quick, automatic and easy.

3. It increase your visual spectrum up to 2270 degrees “if” you change your physiology to the above Z stance and create a “Cone of visual kinesthetic Awareness” where your feelings (propioceptives and tactile, NOT emotions) and hooked into your awareness cone. (I did write about this back in 1981 and put it out in my 3rd book).

4. It can easily be practiced for the TIME DISTORTION effect

5. It can easily be modified for the SIZE DISTORTION effect

Just having a stance than anyone else on the planet was not good enough for me.

I wanted the fastest closing gaps on the planet also.

I wanted the best methods to conceal what I was doing so they could NOT see nor feel nor know about my attack or counter-attack until they woke up after it was finished.

So I developed the technologies I now call “Zero Perception”.

These are physical methods to use against them so they cannot see incoming strikes or kicks.

These are mental strategies and tactics to use against them so they cannot notice what you are doing or are not doing.

These are energetic methods to use up to 21 feet to rob them of their spirit (briefly) so they hesitate while you are closing in for the kill.

A simple energy disruption to their Central Meridian will cause them to pause a minimum of 2 seconds. Any well trained man can easily close 10 feet in less than 1 second (see Secrets of Speed Attack) and strike them effectively with the “Full Course Meal Attack Plan” in that time.

Another simple energy attack to their 3rd Chakra will cause them to step back and re-evaluate the situation.

I also developed “Fast Strike” technologies and “First Strike” technologies (where they start first and you hit them before they get to the “Point of Furthest Extension” or the “Point of No Return”) that followed the rules of flow and the normal flow of the body’s and mind’s energy.

So whenever you practice a Waza based upon those concepts, doing the Waza actually strengthens your Chi. Five Swords has a negative Chi flow. On the other hand “Seven Swords has an interactive figure 8 Chi flow. So do some of the other Waza like “Fourteen Blows of the Dragon” and “The Meat Grinder”.

Enough for now.

I have much more on the Z Stance, Chi Flow, Speed Accelerators and Power Accelerators and all the above concepts. Many of them I got from Mr. Parker. They are part of the foundational levels of Yi Chi Mu Kenpo.

And, I’ve been asked by Al Tracy to demonstrate many of these concepts at the upcoming “Gathering of Eagles” in June. Hopefully I’ll see many of you there. There are a lot of great people on this list and I’d love to see some of you face to face, maybe drink a beer or two together.

©Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Ps. The Z fold is also a way that mail houses and print shops fold a letter for a direct mail piece. It is folded in such a way that when the receiver of the letter opens the envelope, all the other stuff in the mailer falls out. That way the receiver notices all the items in the DM piece. Things like the up sell, the bonus offer, the testimonials, the return envelop and the money back guarantee. So when explaining the above concept to a brand new client I draw it on the board. I put a head on the top of the Z and two feet on the bottom of the Z. Then I draw in some “stick arms” pointing out the position of the “Alive Hand” and the “Attack Hand”. They grasp the concept instantly.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

"For the law enforcement people, going into a neutral bow was not allowed because of legal ramifications."

Huh? I have taught various federal, state, and local law enforcement officers and agents over the past 16 years. I have never heard of such a thing.
    Can you give further details about this statement?

Yours in Kenpo,

Mike G

Thanks

>Huh? I have taught various federal, state, and local law enforcement >officers and agents over the past 16 years. I have never heard of such a >thing.Can you give further details about this statement?

Sure Mike,
    There is a difference in allowable tactics from years ago and now, and also it depends on the location of the situation and the venue.

The sheriff at the time, Lynn Merriman, decided (with the help of his attorneys) that the "neutral bow" was a fighting stance, and it was not appropriate to use because of the negative presuppositions. On the other hand they loved the neutral non-assuming standing stance, a stance that was even better for mobility, angular attacks, and setting up the “set” points and the “twitch” points.

The neutral non-assuming stance gives them maximum protection and mobility, but does not look like they are getting ready to whomp on you. It looks like you are just standing there, talking to them.

Going into a visual fighting stance (the neutral bow) before an altercation can appear legally like you are edging them into a fight by being confrontational, even if you are not being confrontational.

It’s the timing of “when” you can do it without having a brilliant attorney telling the jury that you aggravated the situation and mishandled the situation.

This is also covered in much detail in Massad Ayoob’s writings.

The three books from Caliber Press (Tactics for Criminal Patrol, Street Survival, etc), also go over those tactics and how to use them specifically to avoid legal hassles.

Steve Albrecht also has a decent book out, Surviving Street Patrol.

Right now one of my clients is with the Jackson County Sheriff's department working in the jail. He's got to go around in condition Red while at work, but is NOT allowed a fighting stance because to go into one might escalate more violence in the jail.

What is interesting is what he can do and be backed up by his department. Rules, rules and more rules.

It’s nice to know those rules and the underlying presuppositions of how your actions can be taken by a jury that does not have a clue.

For a civilian to go into a fighting stance, or to clench a fist, or to appear “threatening” (what ever that means), can be taken by the courts to mean that you are a bad person, vicious, and that you did initial the fight on the unsuspecting puke.

If I remember correctly from reading the back posts, this subject has already been beaten to death over the past couple of years, so I’ll not say any more about it unless asked.

©Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Ps. Who is not an attorney, but who has been unsuccessfully sued a time or two.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    Any more info out there on this event, other than the flyer that's already been posted?
    We got here to the gathering of eagles last night.

Right off the bat we met 7 people that had to be there for the seminars.

Shaved heads and tatoos, and in great shape;-)

Went out to dinner.

There must have been about 150 that have came up and recognized me from the books and videos.

The first seminar/workshop I gave was over "Secrets of Speed Hitting for Kenpo Karate Practitioners!"

A lot of fun.

Jack Williams (my son) did video tape it.

Tomorrow, we are continuing with the workshops.

going to bed. I'm burned out and need to catch up on sleep.

Good people here.

Many of them are from Kenpo Talk.

Nice putting faces to some of the names.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links