Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc Chapel in London?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Doc Chapel in London?

Hey local guys care to organize a seminar with Doc in our area?

Jamie?

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Doc Chapel in London?

It hard getting people out to seminars for some reason but if the price wasn't too high I'd come out to Doc's seminar.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Southwell View Post
    It hard getting people out to seminars for some reason but if the price wasn't too high I'd come out to Doc's seminar.

I agree
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

As an instructor who has brought in some big names, I will say the seminar fee is usually cheap compared to the flight and the hotel/meal costs.

As much as I would love to see Doc up here it would almost have to be a Pro Bono event for him, and the promoter cover all the costs out of the seminar fees. One of the biggest obstacles in hosting seminars up here is the cost of internatioanl flights. Now if someone was willing to fly Doc in to Detroit and then pic him up and bring him to London there would be hundreds of dollars saved.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    As an instructor who has brought in some big names, I will say the seminar fee is usually cheap compared to the flight and the hotel/meal costs.

As much as I would love to see Doc up here it would almost have to be a Pro Bono event for him, and the promoter cover all the costs out of the seminar fees. One of the biggest obstacles in hosting seminars up here is the cost of internatioanl flights. Now if someone was willing to fly Doc in to Detroit and then pic him up and bring him to London there would be hundreds of dollars saved.
    I agree. Flights and hotel costs really add up to host an event here in London, particularly when it is so difficult to get other Kenpoists out to the event from different associations.

I would really like to bring in my good buddy Lee Epperson sometime soon, and maybe someday Larry Tatum, but I would really need support from other Kenpoists and dedicated martial artists in the region.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    I... and maybe someday Larry Tatum, but I would really need support from other Kenpoists and dedicated martial artists in the region.
    Exactly! That really has to be the hardest part. When the area isn't saturated with kenpo people. It's hard to get enough people to pay the amount of monies to break even or to make enough to cover it all. My instructor has had that same problem for years. Then, the only way to break even is to charge a lot more. Now your dilema is getting people to pay a higher fee. It's a viscious circle.

Thanks

The funny thing is London, ON is oversaturated with Kenpo people, but there is not a lot of support for each other.

Thanks

The funny thing is London, ON is oversaturated with Kenpo people, but there is not a lot of support for each other.
    Exactly Rob. If I were to bring Larry Tatum in I would have to rely on my students and perhaps a FEW students from other schools at best to come. Since I don't run a "commercial studio" with a student enrollment around 45 (I PREFER IT THAT WAY), it wouldn't be easy.

Thanks

That's really strange. I've only been to canada once in my life. Many years ago while a youngster. Around here there's only my instructor then Joe Doyle's studio which is 100 miles north. He is affiliated with the Planas lineage. To the south there's a Ron Chapel affiliated school which is about 60 miles south. That's give or take. If I'm not mistaken Brian Jones who posts on MT is in the upper west portion of ohio but is affiliated with Paul Mill's group. Brian was at our seminar last year with Mr. Wedlake. The problem my instructor runs into is he brings Mr. Wedlake in but there are very very few who show up outside of the school. All are welcome but they typically don't show due to affiliation. It's too bad because if Tatum, Planas, or Chapel were in at those studio's I would be there. However, not all people are complete diehards like the rest of us. Keep training gentlemen.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I've been bringing "HUK" Planas to London , Ontario for ten years .On neutral ground so everone would feel comfortable and have lost my shirt almost everytime. But the training my student's and I get is second to none. So I think it's worth it. We have lots of wanna be masters here in London maybe they're afraid of being found out, or maybe they don't like me because I don't buy their BS. What ever, I'll still be bringing him in and my students will be better for it.
    Patrick Maguire
    Maguires Dragonheart Martial Arts
    London, Ontario

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nighttrain View Post
    I've been bringing "HUK" Planas to London , Ontario for ten years .On neutral ground so everone would feel comfortable and have lost my shirt almost everytime. But the training my student's and I get is second to none. So I think it's worth it. We have lots of wanna be masters here in London maybe they're afraid of being found out, or maybe they don't like me because I don't buy their BS. What ever, I'll still be bringing him in and my students will be better for it.
    Patrick Maguire
    London, Ontario
    Nicole had mentioned going to a Huk seminar. I'd love to get out to see Huk next time he's in London. Any idea what it would cost to bring Doc into town?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nighttrain View Post
    Patrick Maguire
    London, Ontario
    You've been at Joe Doyle's studio before haven't you? I think you've been there several times when I have. I'm quite sure of it. Do you bring him in right after Joe does? That would be every 3 months or so.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    Nicole had mentioned going to a Huk seminar. I'd love to get out to see Huk next time he's in London. Any idea what it would cost to bring Doc into town?

You would have to ask Doc what he charges, and remeber that is US Currency, plus hotel, meals and flights, and your instructor would probably remove you from his school if you brought Doc in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

and your instructor would probably remove you from his school if you brought Doc in.
    Not if you tease him with intersting tidbits of SL4 articles and experiments for a few months, slowly building his interest until he almost thinks it is his idea to invite Doc...

"not that I would ever do that" ROFL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    Not if you tease him with intersting tidbits of SL4 articles and experiments for a few months, slowly building his interest until he almost thinks it is his idea to invite Doc...

"not that I would ever do that" ROFL
    Not with this instructor.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

i would have to agree with most guys points when it comes to london,ont there is one hell of alot of kenpo. i would definitely support doc coming in and probably bring in some of my students. i always encourage them to attend as much as they can no matter which art it is ie hartman,dr gyi ,etc.. as far as pat maguires i have only missed i think three times and that was too many to miss,pat puts on a great seminar with huk at a good and easy to find location and gives you fruit etc.. during the seminar so i would highly recommend attending one of his events. i personally do not see anything really new in kenpo anymore but instead i go to kenpo seminars and camps to watch different people move with the exception of sl4. if jamie was to bring in tatum i would support it aswell. i think maybe we should have a kenpo symposium where all of the local kenpo guys teach and the funds went to bringing in someone like doc or tatum for the first time what do you guys think i know i would donate my time for free to do it.

later
    Jason Arnold
    Parker/Planas Lineage
    Presas/Hartman Arnis
    Hartsell/Irish JKD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaybacca72 View Post
    i would have to agree with most guys points when it comes to london,ont there is one hell of alot of kenpo. i would definitely support doc coming in and probably bring in some of my students. i always encourage them to attend as much as they can no matter which art it is ie hartman,dr gyi ,etc.. as far as pat maguires i have only missed i think three times and that was too many to miss,pat puts on a great seminar with huk at a good and easy to find location and gives you fruit etc.. during the seminar so i would highly recommend attending one of his events. i personally do not see anything really new in kenpo anymore but instead i go to kenpo seminars and camps to watch different people move with the exception of sl4. if jamie was to bring in tatum i would support it aswell. i think maybe we should have a kenpo symposium where all of the local kenpo guys teach and the funds went to bringing in someone like doc or tatum for the first time what do you guys think i know i would donate my time for free to do it.

later
    Jason Arnold
    I would be in like a dirty shirt. I have been itching to teach another seminar since about a week after the boot camp last June.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

later
    Jason Arnold
    I would be behind you 100% on that idea Jay. I would love to attend a symposium with all of our local guys to raise funds for someone afar.

Rob - I hear what you are saying about my teacher, but he also knows I am an independent thinker. If I supported a seminar by Doc I don't think I would have a problem. I would encourage him to attend, but would not promote within his school without permission (something I think is respectful regardless of who your instructor is and also the visiting master). Given Doc's contraversial teachings and ideas about the kenpo we all practice, I doubt many instructors would welcome him in with open arms.

Thanks

i think maybe we should have a kenpo symposium where all of the local kenpo guys teach and the funds went to bringing in someone like doc or tatum for the first time what do you guys think i know i would donate my time for free to do it.

later
    Jason Arnold
    You could count me in. I would do whatever possible to bring in Larry Tatum.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I would also devote any time necessary to help with such an event. It would be good for all students in and around surrounding London, Ontario...As long as the mental set is not just about the Instructors, but rather for the students. Instructors have to get along and should get together as much as possible around London, but unfortunately we don't do it enough collectively. It really doesn't matter who any of the Instructors is taught by, but rather what we could create together as a group. That would turn out to be great strength for all of our students in the future.

I totally agree with Jason's points on this idea.

Pat Robinson
    Phoenix Fighting Arts And Concepts
    123-320 Westminster Avenue
    London, Ontario, N6C 5H5
    1-519-432-8703

later
    Jason Arnold

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links