Thread: Battle of California Tournament

Thanks

Default Battle of California Tournament

Hi.

I just got back from a tournament that my instructor put on (California Karate League) called 'The Battle of California'.

I went to sing the National Anthem and judge, but I ended up competing too. The whole thing was a ton of fun and quite amusing.

I'll post the Anthem on our website and put on a link when I close out the dvd and put it out. Not my best, but it went okay.

As it happens, the information on the main website for the tournament was posted wrong or was given out wrong because there was a really low turnout. We only had two rings going at once and only about 7 judges, give or take. Non-stop action.

I often wonder what people are judging on. I looked at some people and one person really stood out as being excellent, yet didn't place (not due to my scores). It's hard when there are different styles involved.

At the end, when it was just down to the black belts, there weren't many of us left. For kata, it was me and two other guys (no women wanted to compete).

For sparring, it was me and two other gals from my school (one 17 and one 15). I'll post the clip.

Clearly, I need to go spar more. I feel motivated.

Overall though, a fun event. I'm sorry more people didn't come.

Do any of you compete much? (That was my first time competing in about 20 years or so)

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I have not competed in a tournament since oct. '00. Even when I did it was probably 6 years since I did a tournament. Overall it was ok but nothing to be excited over. I got first in the forms competition. That was rather interesting b/c there were 5 judges and 4 of which gave me 8's and slightly above 8. The other gave me a 6.5. After the tourney was over I asked him what he thought about my form. He told me that since he was a Kung-Fu master instructor he realized what I was doing wrong with my forms whereas the others did not understand Kenpo forms. Go figure. I still have that form on video tape. I watched it a few months ago and said.. Dang I put everything into that form and got a standing applause from everyone there and he still gave me a6.5

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Battle of California Tournament

Glad you had a good time! I'm sure you did much better than you let on. I last competed back in.. 98..I think. It was while I still studied Jiu-Jitsu though. I haven't competed in Kenpo. Some students have expressed an interest in it, but when I established a time to practice the things like free sparring (sport competition is different from self-defense study) nobody showed up. So, I gathered they weren't very serious about it and discontinued the class after two weeks. I may try it again as enrollment increases. We've had several inquiries lately and 3 new students joined in the last week or so.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

The last time I competed was um, January. I usually hit two or three tournaments over the course of the year, and will help out judging at two more. Our school hosts a tournament every May, so I try to support our school by participating at other events on the circuit. Mostly I do it as a social activity, to hang out with my classmates and meet up with other instructors.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Some students have expressed an interest in it, but when I established a time to practice the things like free sparring (sport competition is different from self-defense study) nobody showed up. So, I gathered they weren't very serious about it and discontinued the class after two weeks.
    I thought freestyle was considered one-third of AK, equal to forms and self-defense? Does this mean you don't freestyle at all, or that your freestyle isn't really suited for tournaments?

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside
    I thought freestyle was considered one-third of AK, equal to forms and self-defense? Does this mean you don't freestyle at all, or that your freestyle isn't really suited for tournaments?

Lamont
    We do "2 minute" drills of free sparring but that's about it. When talk started among the studenst about an interest in competition it kind of rekindled my interest in it. But when no one actually showed up to do the training required to prepare for competition...it kida extiquished that interest.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I try to compete as often as I can, the last tournament I competed in was the 'Canadian Open' back in Oct.

Thanks

The cool thing about doing kata in a tournament is that it gets you used to doing your kata in an unfamiliar environment in front of people you don't know. Or, if you know them, they are looking at you in a different capacity.

Sparring for points is different too. When sparring for points, it ends up being 'clash-separate-clash-separate' etc. It's a lot harder to get into a rhythm when you have to separate after every clash.

It's a whole different mindset.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Sounds like you had a lot of fun and that is the most important part of any tournament.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Yeah, I personally don't like point sparring but continous sparring isn't offered in many tournaments around here.

Thanks

There aren't many tournies around here...period! The TKD people won't let us play with them.

Thanks

There aren't many tournies around here...period! The TKD people won't let us play with them.
    There is one of the biggest tournaments in the US just a little ways away from you. The Battle of Atlanta is part of the Triple Crown series, and is one of the most prestigious tournaments in the US.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    There is one of the biggest tournaments in the US just a little ways away from you. The Battle of Atlanta is part of the Triple Crown series, and is one of the most prestigious tournaments in the US.
    Do you have a link or any info? Thanks!

Thanks

..nevermind...found it. Thanks for the tip though!

Thanks

Do you have a link or any info? Thanks!
    http://www.battleofatlanta.com/

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links