Thread: Lee Wedlake Seminar - May 4-5 - Chicago Area

Z-Rex is offline Zoran Sevic
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 607 Posts

Default Lee Wedlake Seminar - May 4-5 - Chicago Area

I will be attending the Lee Wedlake Seminar this weekend. For anyone in the area that may be interested, here are the details.

Date /Times: Friday and Saturday, May 4-5, 2012
    Friday at Worth; 6:30-8pm. Saturday at Burbank; 9am-10:30 and 10:45 - 12:15.

Where: Friday at A Center for the Martial Arts, 6856 W. 111th Street, Worth, IL, 60452.
    Saturday at Japanese Culture Center, 8512 S. Cicero Ave, Burbank, IL, 60459

Subjects: Sessions on Friday and Saturday. Friday “Intro to Russian Systema”.
    Saturday “Blending Concepts” and “Q+A and fixing tough techniques”.

Fee: $30 for one session, two seminars is $55.Three seminars, $75.

Other info: Open to all styles and systems. Please wear an appropriate uniform or workout wear. Groin cup.

To register contact Kurt Barnhart at 708-422-1051. Or e-mail kurtnbarb@aol.com.
    Books, DVDs and t-shirts will be available.

Lee Wedlake is a first generation Ed Parker black belt. Originally from the Chicago area, he started Kenpo training in 1972, has authored eight books on Kenpo, and conducts successful seminars world-wide. He is an instructor of Yang tai chi and Systema.
    God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak.
    Unfortunantly, he gave us 2 eyes and 10 fingers, which explains the problems we get on the internet.~Zoran

Zoran "Z-Rex" Sevic | My Facebook | My YouTube Channel | Where I Teach |
    Like a T-Rex with longer arms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Intro to Systema?? Lee will be branded as a heretic by many on KT for this action even though he is a certified instructor in this "ineffective" style. LOL!!
    Really Nelson, you want to make a thread promoting Lee's seminar into a political statement? I thought you were his friend.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Unfortunantly, he gave us 2 eyes and 10 fingers, which explains the problems we get on the internet.~Zoran

Thanks

Default Re: Lee Wedlake Seminar - May 4-5 - Chicago Area

I am Lee's friend! Why is it so hard for some folks to understand sarcasm? When I've posted Systema vids folks have lined up to criticize virtually every aspect about them. Now Lee comes to town and the peanut gallery is suddenly silent. I'm glad that Lee is pursuing Systema as I too believe it has great promise for the martial artist with an open mind. I also study Systema. . Lee also practices Chi Kung and is a certified instructor in this discipline which is an internal power system that also incorporates healing in it's version known as QuiQuong which is at the heart of the Falungong movement.
    Nelson, I do not want to turn this thread into a discussion but I will say this. We can't even agree on how Kenpo should be done, how do you expect other systems to be looked upon. Lee Wedlake has been active in Systema for quite a long time, but just like many of us, it is not his main focus. Look around and you will see Kali, JKD, Systema, Tai Chi, CMA, BJJ, and a load of other martial arts Kenpo people train in.

Part of being a Kenpo practitioner is to look at things critically and that means to see the faults as well as the benefits of any system, including our own. Without that critical thinking, we are stuck in "this is cool" phase in everything we see and learn. May be fine in the first decade of ones training when everything impresses us, but that has a limited return in value.

Many of us are looking for answers (or questions) and those that feel their system is the answer to all is usually fooling themselves. There are instructors that may have more answers than most, but no one has it all and any system is only as good as the instructor teaching it.

As to Systema, I do not find it a coincidence that the best practitioners of that art are usually people who started in a more traditionally structured system. The same can be said for JKD and many of the RBSD (Reality Based Self Defense) systems. Same thing can be noticed in MMA's top fighters. Why is that? Because of the lack of structured basics that imparts basic principles are usually absent or incomplete. Which is why abstract concept orientated systems will only progress an individual so far.

Besides, what is wrong with criticism? Just because I like something does not mean everybody else does. I have had criticism on the structure of our system. After all, how can a Kenpo system exist that only has 30 base techs and drills mostly spontaneous unscripted response ever work? From the Parker lineage no less....gasp. Yea, they are probably right, too many techs and we should go back to John McSweeney's original 24.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 552 Posts

Mr. Wedlake showed a tiny bit of Systema in one of the seminars in Esslingen (just a tiny bit, and it's been a while), but it was really interesting. I've seen a lot of Systema videos that made me want to try it, I've seen a lot of systema videos that invoked the "he needs to do it on my, before I believe it" reaction.
    I think with Systema, it's like with a lot of other Martial Arts. There's good stuff in it. Then there's stuff for show. Other stuff is meant as busy work.

Mr. Wedlake is an intelligent man, so I guess the "good stuff" is worth being explored (or he won't bother sharing it).

I'd love to hear your opinion on the systema intro after participating.

@Nelson: I think Z-Rex's point is that this was meant to be a promo thread, not a discussion thread
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lenny For This Useful Post:

Z-Rex (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

Lenny,
    You're right! Sorry!
    Z-rex,
    Your comment about Systema being an art one learns later in life, so to speak, applies to many of us that have never even heard of it the art until quite recently. I'm glad that Lee is doing Systema and Chi Kung! I wish I was not scheduled to work this weekend or I would come to the seminar myself. I'm also happy that there are those of us that still have an open mind and are not dismissive of things that are in some cases radically different than we have come to believe are true.
    Don't forget this important part about Zoran's comment:

"As to Systema, I do not find it a coincidence that the best practitioners of that art are usually people who started in a more traditionally structured system. The same can be said for JKD and many of the RBSD (Reality Based Self Defense) systems. Same thing can be noticed in MMA's top fighters. Why is that? Because of the lack of structured basics that imparts basic principles are usually absent or incomplete. Which is why abstract concept orientated systems will only progress an individual so far. "
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

Z-Rex (05-02-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I'd love to hear your opinion on the systema intro after participating.
    Will do. Regrettably, I may have to miss the Friday seminar but I will be there for Saturday (blending of concepts).

Thanks

So I had my first day of the seminar which was an intro to Systema. We primarily covered the sensitivity drills (it's what I call it) often found on the vids. It starts out pretty simple as pushes. I push my partner he moves to absorb and redirect and push back. You stand in a modified horse stance while doing this and the object is to not be forced to step back.

We also covered some basic technique against a punch. When I say technique, do not think of it as something written in stone. You still need to work with your attackers energy and change your approach as you feel that energy. Most of the drills are designed to put your partner off balance and on the ground. Striking was added into our work but was not the primary focus of the class. We also went into a sort of half speed live type of sparring.

There is a science to the various methods but a lot of it is a "hands on feel it" type of training. There are no stances and is more of a "move where and how you need to move". Their ready fighting stance, if you can call it a fighting stance, is a natural stance with the hands up. Sort of a surrender position many of us have worked but also very different.

Overall I found it interesting and found the sensitivity drills of some value. Systema would be a decent complimentary training for some. My original opinion on the lack of fundamentals still stands. The ones that will excel in Systema will be the ones with prior training or a natural. The lack of those fundamentals will make it very difficult for a newbie to excel beyond a certain point without branching out to a more structured system.

I also spoke to Mr. Wedlake after class a bit about Systema. We discussed a few things about Systema and one of my questions is if they ever work at speed against a resistant partner. His answer was, "Oooh yea." Since all I usually see is a lot of those half speed "sensitivity drills" on video, it was a valid question. He also shared a couple stories on that (won't go into now).

One of the things Mr. Wedlake did say in the beginning of class is he considers System closer to a soft style or internal martial art.

Sat. morning will be day 2 on combining concepts of Systema with Parker's Kenpo.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z-Rex For This Useful Post:

jdinca (05-05-2012),nelson (05-05-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

The sensitivity drill sounds like "Push Hands" in CMA. We've done them in class but with a focus on stances.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    The sensitivity drill sounds like "Push Hands" in CMA. We've done them in class but with a focus on stances.
    I guess that would depend on how push hands is done in the CMA system. The sort push hands I know is from the internal systems and tends to be a sort give and take. Although there is give and take in the Systema drill, it's different in that you are attempting to push your partner off balance (slow to medium speed) and the partner in turn tries to absorb and redirect that energy and borrowing that energy to push back all done at different targets and angles.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Z-Rex For This Useful Post:

jdinca (05-05-2012)

Thanks

The second day class was about combining systema and kenpo. As in the systema theme, everything was done in a spontaneous manner. Mr. Wedlake would show some examples and how to move from one to another but never spent time drilling it. It was more a just move, do and experiment.

Over all, I would recommend anyone that is in Kenpo to give it a try if they are so inclined. I see benefits in the training but I can not say it is not without its flaws.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links