Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenpo Ohana 2011 - Downey, California, - Saturday, September 24, 2011

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Default Kenpo Ohana 2011 - Downey, California, - Saturday, September 24, 2011

On behalf of Pastor Chris Stewart with Trinity Karate For Christ, and myself with Victory Karate, I would like to announce the Kenpo Ohana 2011 charity benefit camp in Downey, California, on Saturday, September 24, 2011. All net proceeds will be going to support these 3 charities:

1. Missionaries in India who rescue children from the slave trade,
    2. Missionaries in Asia who run an orphanage and school,
    3. The Royal Family Kids Camp, who ministers to abused children

This is still a work in progress, but the list of presenters currently stands as follows (in alphabetical order):

• Bob White
    • Barbara White
    • Clark Cole
    • David Crouch
    • Ken Kellogg
    • Manny Martinez
    • Ron Sanchez
    • Vinton Koklich

Ron Chapel, Dian Tanaka, Bishop Donnie Williams, and Robert Temple are also interested and trying to arrange their schedules to attend. I also wanted to point out Mrs. Barbara White's presentation, a women's self defense seminar, complete with PowerPoint visuals. This gives us the unique opportunity to have women attend who otherwise could care less about martial arts, but still want to be armed with the knowledge on how to be safe on the street.

Something Dr. Dave Crouch pointed out with his Kenpo Ohana in 2009 was that presenters and attendees alike felt the 1 hour segment was not enough time to get through everything they wanted to do. So presenters here will be given 1:45, with 15 minutes of bleed over time, Q&A, or just decompression time, to fill a 2 hour slot.

More info will be forthcoming as it develops. But please reserve the date (and apologies to anyone who might have an event that same day. We tried our best to find a date with no conflicts). Pastor Chris and his team at Trinity Karate and myself are working hard to ensure you have the best possible experience, and all of our presenters are excited about the opportunity to share their time, knowledge, and energy with you, all to help these children who really have no one else to help them in their situations. If we can make this a success, then it will be a win, win, win for all of us.

Salute,

Erik Akutagawa
    Head Instructor
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com | www.vkfit.com

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

akute (06-13-2011),Dianhsuhe (06-13-2011),jdinca (06-13-2011),John Brewer (06-13-2011),Mac (06-13-2011),nelson (06-20-2011),OKenpo942 (06-14-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo Ohana 2011 - Downey, California, - Saturday, September 24, 2011

Thank you Mr. Hubbard for posting. For those of you with facebook, we have a FB event for the Ohana here:

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=125268564222054

Hope you can make it. Should be a great day with some great people for a great cause.
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,892 Times in 5,565 Posts

Default Re: Kenpo Ohana 2011 - Downey, California, - Saturday, September 24, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post

I'm in. I got permission from Grandmaster Chapél who will be leaving town the next day. I know, I know, but when I referred to her as the Grandmistress, it didn't go over very well.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

akute (06-14-2011),ATACX GYM (06-19-2011),Bob Hubbard (06-14-2011),Dr. Dave in da house (06-17-2011),DRANKIN (06-14-2011),KirkS (06-19-2011),Mac (06-14-2011),MarkC (06-17-2011),sumdumguy (06-14-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

OK, now I gotta come because I wanna see what Clark Cole is presenting? No offense but I am truly curious... seeing Doc would be ok too.
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,892 Times in 5,565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    OK, now I gotta come because I wanna see what Clark Cole is presenting? No offense but I am truly curious... seeing Doc would be ok too.
    Actually, I know exactly what you mean.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

MarkC (06-14-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Man, I would love to be there. Had to cancel my trip to Cali this year (wife is having baby #4 around that time). I haven't seen Bishop Willliams since the 80s & would love to meet the others. My Instructor used to tell stories about Dian Tanaka. I would really like to meet her.

I know it will be a great success. God bless.

James

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OKenpo942 For This Useful Post:

akute (06-14-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

To update: Confirmed Ron Chapel, Rich Hale, and Ray Caldwell as presenters. I don't think Ron Chapel and Rich Hale need any introduction, but for those of you not familiar with Ray Caldwell, here's some background on him from one of the workshops he's done for our group:http://victorykarate.com/VKRayCaldwellSeminar.html
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Looks like a great event, I hope to be there thank you for the update.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to John Brewer For This Useful Post:

akute (06-17-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Another update: Confirmed Bishop Donnie Williams and Robert Temple as presenters.
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

15. The Following User Says Thank You to akute For This Useful Post:

John Brewer (07-08-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

Gotta figure a way to make this one.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

do we know what the day will be scheduled like yet?
    I know it was mentioned 2 hours per person, but that not possible without multiple seminars going at once.
    I am curious how the breakdown of the day will be.

Thanks

Holy crap. That's an awesome list of presenters. Lemmesee...the Gathering is in Sacramento the 25th and 26th...so....Downey to Sacramento is...9 hours? I suppose I might be able to pull that if I don't sleep.
    ~ Steve Zalazowski
    Continuing Student of the Arts.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Unfortunately, we were unaware of the Gathering in Sac until I spoke with Mr. Koklich. We certainly meant no offense by picking that same weekend. But the 24th was the only date that worked for the vast majority of the presenters, so we had to stick with it.

Schedule wise, we are looking at 3 seminar times:

10:00am - 12:00n
    1:00pm - 3:00pm
    3:00pm - 4:00pm

Yes, there will be multiple seminars going on in various rooms during each time slot. So yes, you will get to choose which seminars you would like to go to (although how this will be orchestrated is still being discussed). Our goal here is to have multiple subject matters covered throughout the day so that everyone will have the opportunity to get what they're looking for. And the caliber of each presenter is such that it won't really matter which seminars you attend; you will have a great time and a great experience.
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I just so happens I'll be in Oakland the Monday after so I'll be making a detour to Downey before that. I'm looking forward to the seminar!
    Basics, the rest is bullshytery.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DRANKIN For This Useful Post:

akute (06-23-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

As a sort of "primer" to the Ohana, Victory Karate: LAX will be hosting one of the Ohana presenters, Mr. Rich Hale, on Thursday, July 14 ˇ 7:00pm - 9:00pm. Mr. Hale is offering this seminar free to everyone, so ALL are welcome to attend. More info here:

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=207799275928382

(I was hoping to get this posted on its own here, but have not been able to do so. If one of the admins can take care of that for me, I'd appreciate it.)

Let me know if you have any questions.
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Registration is now open! Remembering that 100% of the proceeds from this event will be going to charity should encourage us to dig deep into our pockets to support such great organizations. We have tried to keep the fees reasonable considering the high level of instruction provided by our volunteer instructors.

- Single 2-hour seminar only: $29
    - t-shirt only: $15
    - DVD (each): $35
    - DVD set (volumes 1-3): $79
    - Lunch only: $12
    - Camp only (3 2-hour seminars): $79
    - Full camp package (3 2-hour seminars, lunch, shirt, 3 DVD set; $219 value): $159

These are pre-order/pre-registration​ prices only, along with claiming your spot with the seminars you want on a first-come, first-serve basis. Anything after 09/03/2011, a late registration fee of 5% will be added. Anything the day of will have a registration fee of 10% added. To register, go here:

http://www.trinitykarateforchrist.co...istration.html

Also, confirmed Dian Tanaka as a presenter. The list of presenters and their time slots is currently scheduled as follows (subject to change):

10am-12n
    * Rich Hale: Elements of Kenpo - Little things that make a big difference
    * David Crouch: Universal Patterns of Motion in the Kenpo System
    * Robert Temple: Partnership Training - Focusing on Timing and Rhythm for Combat
    * Dian Tanaka: Eskrima Close-Quarter Stick Techniques

1-3pm
    * Bob White: Purpose Driven Journey to Success - How to Improve Your Skills
    * Clark Cole: Break Stance Method - How to turn Motion into Movement
    * Donnie Williams:
    * Manny Martinez: Kenpo in the Cage

3-5pm
    * Barbara White: Women's Self Defense (classroom)
    * Ken Kellogg:
    * Ray Caldwell: Ground Fighting From the Perspective of Competitive Wrestling
    * Ron Chapel: SubLevel 4 Kenpo
    * Vinton Koklich: Natural Weapons & Combat Breathing

Very much looking forward to this event and seeing everyone there.

EA
    Last edited by akute; 07-07-2011 at 07:55 PM.
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

That 10am time slot is a tough choice...
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Thanks
    Thanked 4,368 Times in 1,425 Posts

For anyone who might be interested in coming to my little slot, bring along a training knife and club, and poss. a little training gun (nothing that goes "bang!", please... we don't want unplanned casualties). Motions in kenpo ought to have universal applications. Meaning, Repeating maces can be against a push, grab, punch, knife, club, gun threat, etc. It can also be used to facilitate a counter deploying a knife, stick, gun, etc. Universal applications of the motions and movements within kenpo.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Wish I was closer to the West Coast.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Completed schedule with presenters and topics:

10am-12n
    * Rich Hale: Elements of Kenpo - Little things that make a big difference
    * David Crouch: Universal Patterns of Motion in the Kenpo System
    * Robert Temple: Partnership Training - Focusing on Timing and Rhythm for Combat
    * Dian Tanaka: Eskrima Close-Quarter Stick Techniques

1-3pm
    * Bob White: Purpose Driven Journey to Success - How to Improve Your Skills
    * Clark Cole: Break Stance Method - How to turn Motion into Movement
    * Donnie Williams: Torque, Power, & Accuracy in Punching
    * Manny Martinez: Kenpo in the Cage

3-5pm
    * Barbara White: Women's Self Defense
    * Ken Kellogg: Mindset for Combat
    * Ray Caldwell: Ground Fighting From the Perspective of Competitive Wrestling
    * Ron Chapel: SubLevel 4 Kenpo
    * Vinton Koklich: Natural Weapons & Combat Breathing

Man, that's a lot of good stuff. Register early to make sure you get the seminars you want!

http://www.trinitykarateforchrist.co...istration.html

Then again, with the quality of teaching these presenters give, I don't think you can go wrong. No one is going to leave disappointed.

Look forward to seeing you there. If you're out of state and going to plan trip to sunny Southern California, this would be a great time to do it.
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links