Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kenpo Ohana 2011 - Downey, California, - Saturday, September 24, 2011

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,941 Times in 5,595 Posts

Default Re: Kenpo Ohana 2011 - Downey, California, - Saturday, September 24, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by akute View Post
    Just 2 days away...

OK, more good news and bad news:

Bad news first. Mr. Ken Kellogg suffered a severe injury that may require surgery. So Mr. Kellogg had to bow out of teaching at The Ohana. Those of you signed up with him will be contacted so you can make a 2nd choice. But please join me in praying for Mr. Kellogg as he recovers.

And that takes me to the good news. Mr. Paul Dye has contacted me stating that he is available to teach. And someone only referred to as "a senior" will also be coming (don't ask me who it is, as I have no idea, and I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth). So the day looks to be chock full of surprises as well.

And remember, this is all for the kids. Speaking of which, if you're curious as to my story and how I got connected to this event (you might particularly appreciate it if you're a fan of the movie "Taken"), go here:

http://vkfit.blogspot.com/2011/09/09...a-charity.html

Looking forward to seeing you all at The Ohana!

Respectfully,

Erik Akutagawa

--

Time:
    Saturday, September 24 · 10:00am - 5:00pm

8219 Florence Ave
    Downey, CA

On behalf of Pastor Chris Stewart with Trinity Karate for Christ, and myself with Victory Karate, I would like to announce the Kenpo Ohana 2011 charity benefit camp in Downey, California, on Saturday, September 24, 2011. All net proceeds will be going to support these 3 charities:

* Missionaries in India who rescue children from the slave trade,
    * Missionaries in Asia who run an orphanage and school,
    * The Royal Family Kids Camp, who ministers to abused children.

To pre-register, go here:

http://www.trinitykarateforchrist.co...istration.html

Hotel Information:

Downey - Embassy Suites
    8425 East Firestone Blvd.
    Downey, CA 90241
    Tel: (562) 861-1900
    Direct: (562) 299-1620
    www.losangelesdowney.embassysuites.com

Mention "Kenpo Ohana '11"
    and receieve our special room rate of $130.00/Night
    Better Hurry!! We only have a block of 10 rooms reserved!
    if you make your reservation before 9/6/2011
    ***Full cook to order breakfast is included***

Please remember to bring any necessary training equipment: sticks, knives, safety glasses, shoes, t-shirt, towel, water, etc.

Pastor Chris and his team at Trinity Karate and myself are working hard to ensure you have the best possible experience, and all of our presenters are excited about the opportunity to share their time, knowledge, and energy with you, all to help these children who really have no one else to help them in their situations. If we can make this a success, then it will be a win, win, win for all of us.

Salute,

Erik Akutagawa
    Chris Stewart
    Ryan Angell will also be available to teach, and most know him as one of my senior students.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

akute (09-23-2011),Christopher Stewart (09-24-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

Default Re: Kenpo Ohana 2011 - Downey, California, - Saturday, September 24, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Ryan Angell will also be available to teach, and most know him as one of my senior students.
    Wow, you guys are going ot have a blast! I am very jealous.

But I am lucky enough to have my mother-in-law visiting this weekend! So I am in for a freat time, too. lol
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HKphooey For This Useful Post:

akute (09-23-2011),Christopher Stewart (09-28-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

Wish I was able to be there.
    Please show Mr. Ranking some good stuff so I can pick his brain when he gets back.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

akute (09-23-2011),Christopher Stewart (09-28-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

It's tomorrow! Hope you're all excited.

Just spoke with Mr. Paul Dye. He's got some great material planned for his seminar tomorrow. The event has gotten media coverage. It's almost show time...

Which got me thinking how tremendous this is, to have all these high ranking Black Belts, all at the same place, all teaching and sharing. How awesome is that? And they're doing so not for any personal gain, but for the love of Kenpo, to pass on the knowledge, and to share in the vision of helping these children in need. As I shared with our presenters:

Pastor Chris and I just want to have an environment where we're all able to connect with one another, learn and train with one another, and enjoy the time we have together - All for the purpose of helping children in need, children we may never meet personally, but still need someone to help defend them from life situations not of their own choosing.

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow!

For those of you on the road or on a plane, travel safely.

Respectfully,

Erik Akutagawa

P.S. Here's the info one last time (With hopefully no more changes!):

--

On behalf of Pastor Chris Stewart with Trinity Karate for Christ, and myself with Victory Karate, I would like to announce the Kenpo Ohana 2011 charity benefit camp in Downey, California, on Saturday, September 24, 2011. All net proceeds will be going to support these 3 charities:

* Missionaries in India who rescue children from the slave trade,
    * Missionaries in Asia who run an orphanage and school,
    * The Royal Family Kids Camp, who ministers to abused children.

The list of presenters and their time slots are currently scheduled as follows (subject to change):

10am-12n
    * Grandmaster Robert Temple: Partnership Training - Focusing on Timing and Rhythm for Combat
    * Senior Professor Rich Hale: Elements of Kenpo - Little things that make a big difference
    * Professor Dr. David Crouch: Universal Patterns of Motion in the Kenpo System

1-3pm
    * Master Bob White/Captain Ron Sanchez: Purpose Driven Journey to Success - How to Improve Your Skills
    * Grandmaster Bishop Donnie Williams: Torque, Power, & Accuracy in Punching
    * Associate Professor Manny Martinez: Kenpo in the Cage
    * Head Instructor Clark Cole: Break Stance Method - How to turn Motion into Movement

3-5pm
    * Dr. Ron "Doc" Chapel, PhD/Professor Ryan Angell: SubLevel 4 Kenpo
    * Master Paul Dye: Blending old Parker Kenpo and new Parker Kenpo
    * Senior Instructor Barbara White: Women's Self Defense
    * Ray Caldwell: Ground Fighting From the Perspective of Competitive Wrestling

Remembering that 100% of the proceeds from this event will be going to charity should encourage us to dig deep into our pockets to support such great organizations. We have tried to keep the fees reasonable considering the high level of instruction provided by our volunteer instructors.

- Single 2-hour seminar only: $29
    - t-shirt only: $15
    - DVD (each): $35
    - DVD set (volumes 1-3): $79
    - Lunch only: $12
    - Camp only (3 2-hour seminars): $79
    - Full camp package (3 2-hour seminars, lunch, shirt, 3 DVD set; $219 value): $159

For those in difficult financial situations, we understand and still want you to partake. You can attend 1 seminar for $10 and pay the remaining $20 by October 31, 2011. Want to go all day? $20 gets you in for the entire day of seminars, and then pay the remaining $60 by October 31, 2011.

To pre-register, go here:

http://www.trinitykarateforchrist.co...istration.html

Hotel Information:

Downey - Embassy Suites
    8425 East Firestone Blvd.
    Downey, CA 90241
    Tel: (562) 861-1900
    Direct: (562) 299-1620
    www.losangelesdowney.embassysuites.com

Mention "Kenpo Ohana '11"
    and receieve our special room rate of $130.00/Night
    Better Hurry!! We only have a block of 10 rooms reserved!
    if you make your reservation before 9/6/2011
    ***Full cook to order breakfast is included***

Please remember to bring any necessary training equipment: sticks, knives, safety glasses, shoes, t-shirt, towel, water, etc.

Pastor Chris and his team at Trinity Karate and myself are working hard to ensure you have the best possible experience, and all of our presenters are excited about the opportunity to share their time, knowledge, and energy with you, all to help these children who really have no one else to help them in their situations. If we can make this a success, then it will be a win, win, win for all of us.

Salute,

Erik Akutagawa
    Chris Stewart
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to akute For This Useful Post:

Christopher Stewart (09-24-2011),Dianhsuhe (09-24-2011),John Brewer (09-23-2011)

Christopher Stewart is offline Always Learning!
    Thanks

Update: We will be having an "Ohana" dinner at 6:30 PM at the Downey Chris and Pitts. The address is 9243 Lakewood Blvd, Downey, Ca 90240 562-869-9069

I hope to see you there!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher Stewart For This Useful Post:

akute (09-26-2011)

Christopher Stewart is offline Always Learning!
    Thanks

This years' Kenpo Ohana is a great success, we where able to raise over $360 for our charities after covering the expenses for the Ohana!

I am so thankful for all those who came out to support us in our effort to affect peoples lives!

Thank you!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christopher Stewart For This Useful Post:

akute (09-26-2011),jdinca (09-25-2011),RDCParker (09-25-2011)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,941 Times in 5,595 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Stewart View Post
    This years' Kenpo Ohana is a great success, we where able to raise over $360 for our charities after covering the expenses for the Ohana!

I am so thankful for all those who came out to support us in our effort to affect peoples lives!

Thank you!
    We'll do better next time.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

akute (09-26-2011),Christopher Stewart (09-28-2011),RDCParker (09-25-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

We'll do better next time.
    Ayup.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

akute (09-26-2011),Christopher Stewart (09-28-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Count me in for next year. Had a great time at the Ohana yesterday. With the sessions I signed up for, I got to experience a variety of subjects; creating more fluid motion, translating techniques for weapon use, posture and body alignment manipulation, proper focus and power in strikes, and I even got to break a sweat with some sparring. Met lots of great people and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was especially a pleasure meeting Bishop Williams and Doc Chapel, you hear the stories of what they are like in person, but until you actually meet them, you just don't know.

It's always good when you can have a fun time while doing something good for a few charities. I'm glad to be a part of such a great family, and at the beginning of what will hopefully become a great tradition that helps a lot of kids. Hopefully people read this and feel inspired to come support next year.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

akute (09-26-2011),Christopher Stewart (09-28-2011),Dr. Dave in da house (09-26-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Stewart View Post

Thank you!
    I would like to help raise that number a bit... will any of the DVD's be available for people who were not able to attend?
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HKphooey For This Useful Post:

akute (09-26-2011),Christopher Stewart (09-28-2011),J Ellis (09-26-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 967 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HKphooey View Post
    I would like to help raise that number a bit... will any of the DVD's be available for people who were not able to attend?
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Joel Ellis
    LaGrange, GA

"This whole thing is about balance and timing." -- Damon Excell

If you do not consciously form good habits, you will unconsciously form bad ones.

If it is important, do it every day. If it is not important, don’t do it at all. (Dan Gable’s coaching philosophy)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Ellis For This Useful Post:

akute (09-26-2011),Christopher Stewart (09-28-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

What a tremendous day it was! We can get caught up in the numbers, but I think that defeats the purpose. We had an amazing line up of instructors who came together and gave top quality presentations. We had a great group of participants, some traveling from as far as Japan and other states, and I was able to meet and greet all of them. We had a fantastic group of volunteers making sure the day ran smoothly. And we all did it to support those far less fortunate than us.

But the work is still not done! We have video of every presentation and will be cutting the DVDs together. Those of you who pre-ordered, we have your address, so we'll get those out to you as soon as we can.

Those of you wanting to order one, or the entire set, I will post when they're ready and what to do to get your copy. There is 40+ hours of video to sift through (we ran multiple cameras and angles per presentation), and this will be a "labor of love" for the video editor (and the guy I had lined up bailed on me, so I am having to find another), so your patience is appreciated. But heck, even I'm looking forward to getting my copy like a kid at Christmas.

Thank you again to all who helped and supported this event. Pastor Chris and I did not have any other reasoning behind all the work for this other than to do something good, something worthwhile, something bigger than ourselves that has the potential to carry on for future generations. Mission accomplished.

Salute,

Erik Akutagawa
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to akute For This Useful Post:

Christopher Stewart (09-28-2011),Dr. Dave in da house (09-27-2011),HKphooey (09-26-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 850 Posts

What a tremendous day it was! We can get caught up in the numbers, but I think that defeats the purpose. We had an amazing line up of instructors who came together and gave top quality presentations. We had a great group of participants, some traveling from as far as Japan and other states, and I was able to meet and greet all of them. We had a fantastic group of volunteers making sure the day ran smoothly. And we all did it to support those far less fortunate than us.

But the work is still not done! We have video of every presentation and will be cutting the DVDs together. Those of you who pre-ordered, we have your address, so we'll get those out to you as soon as we can.

Those of you wanting to order one, or the entire set, I will post when they're ready and what to do to get your copy. There is 40+ hours of video to sift through (we ran multiple cameras and angles per presentation), and this will be a "labor of love" for the video editor (and the guy I had lined up bailed on me, so I am having to find another), so your patience is appreciated. But heck, even I'm looking forward to getting my copy like a kid at Christmas.

Thank you again to all who helped and supported this event. Pastor Chris and I did not have any other reasoning behind all the work for this other than to do something good, something worthwhile, something bigger than ourselves that has the potential to carry on for future generations. Mission accomplished.

Salute,

Erik Akutagawa
    Having met Sensei/Pastor Chris,I can say from personal experience that the Ohana was a labor of love and the outstanding instructors and their quality material absolutely guarantees that I will be there next year.I only just missed the Ohana this year,and I will make it a point to swing by Pastor Chris' place more often. Hopefully I will meet you,Erik,and all of the other outstanding instructors. I reeeeaaaallly regret that I missed the sparring. What was that like? Who got on the mat and sparred? Was it informal light sparring or was it a bit more focused and formalized for rounds? Such as...put into action the Torquing lessons of GM Williams,and the BAMs of Sub-Level 4,etc?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATACX GYM For This Useful Post:

akute (09-29-2011),Christopher Stewart (09-28-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

Salute,

Erik Akutagawa
    No one involved with the event or its coordinators doubts the integrity or intentions of the facilitators. You guys rock. Erik... I have some footage of my own from my bit. If you guys wanna look at it to see if it helps, lemme know.

Thanks for all you fine gentlemen do,

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ATACX GYM View Post
    I reeeeaaaallly regret that I missed the sparring. What was that like? Who got on the mat and sparred? Was it informal light sparring or was it a bit more focused and formalized for rounds? Such as...put into action the Torquing lessons of GM Williams,and the BAMs of Sub-Level 4,etc?
    It was in Bishop Williams' class, just some light continuous sparring that emphasized what the bishop was teaching us, having that focus and power when we strike. We worked on that mostly, but then we also did get a chance to do some free sparring. We didn't even wear pads, it was non-competitive (well as much as it could be, haha), but combine that with the short warm-up exercises that Mr. Robert Temple took us through, running and push-ups and hitting our bellies on the floor, and it all made for a real nice get-your-heart-pumping workout that I actually didn't expect to get during the seminars. Definitely look forward to seeing you there next year. :-)
    *Warrior, Scholar*

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 850 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RDCParker View Post
    It was in Bishop Williams' class, just some light continuous sparring that emphasized what the bishop was teaching us, having that focus and power when we strike. We worked on that mostly, but then we also did get a chance to do some free sparring. We didn't even wear pads, it was non-competitive (well as much as it could be, haha), but combine that with the short warm-up exercises that Mr. Robert Temple took us through, running and push-ups and hitting our bellies on the floor, and it all made for a real nice get-your-heart-pumping workout that I actually didn't expect to get during the seminars. Definitely look forward to seeing you there next year. :-)

Thank you for breaking that down,man. I haven't seen GM Williams in nearly 20 years,and I hope to catch him there next year. Sparring without pads is the most realistic way to spar imho,and alot can be learned with light bareknuckle sparring when you're at the black belt level than most people realize. You don't have to kill each other with hard sparring every time you're out there on the mat. I would love to meet both of our Docs too,and whoever else is there. Mr. Robert Temple is a name that rings bells,although I don't know who he is.Just heard his name before. Aaaaand if you're near Pastor Sensei Chris and Clark's place...maybe we can hook up before then. I'll be swinging by to see the guys a couple times/month. Hopefully I can catch you and Erik there too.Before next year.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATACX GYM For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

It was a fantastic experience. Mr. Hale and his wonderful wife put me up Fri-Sat. I'm so humbled and grateful for your hospitality.

Excellent classes with Mr. Rich Hale, Mr. Bob White with Capt Ron Sanchez, and "Doc" with Mr. Angell.

Special thanks to Mr. Hale for sharing his home, knowledge, and stories with me. The bruises will heal but the instruction he gave me will always be a permanent part of my kenpo journey. Thank you for so many "aha!" moments.

If anyone ever gets the opportunity to attend a class with Mr. White, do not pass it up! Champion fighter material. The drills I learned will be a permanent part of my training.

I finally got to meet Dr. Chapel and I've been reading so much of his writings it's like I've always known him. Incredible to experience, in person, how subtle things about posture and how we move have such a profound impact on our abilities. I'm still blown away thinking about a particular exercise: after getting pushed back by Mr. Durgan while I was in a neutral bow then getting back into a neutral after a proper indexing, PAM/BAM, and seeing Mr. Durgan leaning into me with all his strength and not being able to budge me. I was like, "Are you kidding? Are you really pushing me?"... "uh, yeah?".

Thank you, Doc! I've gotten a small glimpse at how much more is at play than meets the casual eye.

Very cool to meet Amy Long, Dr. Dave, Mr. Cole and many more that I've met for the first time.

It was a great seminar and for a great cause. I'm looking forward to the next.

D Rankin
    Basics, the rest is bullshytery.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DRANKIN For This Useful Post:

akute (09-29-2011),Christopher Stewart (10-09-2011),Dr. Dave in da house (09-29-2011),J Ellis (09-29-2011),LuckyKBoxer (09-29-2011),MarkC (09-29-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRANKIN View Post
    I finally got to meet Dr. Chapel ...... I was like, "Are you kidding? Are you really pushing me?"... "uh, yeah?".

Thank you, Doc! I've gotten a small glimpse at how much more is at play than meets the casual eye.
    Hooked. Done.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    Hooked. Done.
    At least now there are two of us up here.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRANKIN View Post
    Very cool to meet Amy Long, Dr. Dave, Mr. Cole and many more that I've met for the first time.

It was a great seminar and for a great cause. I'm looking forward to the next.
    One of the nice things about gatherings like this, is that we have the opportunity to put faces to names that we've seen here on Kenpotalk. We all have conversed here either directly or indirectly in one way or another, but it's always great to put the writings aside, get together and work out. So it was good to meet you Dennis, as well as everyone else from KT that I finally got to meet there.

Rick Parker (for those that don't remember, the oh-so-dapper black guy with the bald head, white gi and green belt)
    *Warrior, Scholar*

38. The Following User Says Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

Christopher Stewart (10-09-2011)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links