Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kenpo Ohana 2011 - Downey, California, - Saturday, September 24, 2011

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

Default Re: Kenpo Ohana 2011 - Downey, California, - Saturday, September 24, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by akute View Post

Register early to make sure you get the seminars you want!
    umm is there going to be a limit to participation? or a limit to how many can attend a given seminar?
    Is it based on first come first served?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo Ohana 2011 - Downey, California, - Saturday, September 24, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKBoxer View Post
    umm is there going to be a limit to participation? or a limit to how many can attend a given seminar?
    Is it based on first come first served?
    Yes. From the facebook event page:

Remembering that 100% of the proceeds from this event will be going to charity should encourage us to dig deep into our pockets to support such great organizations. We have tried to keep the fees reasonable considering the high level of instruction provided by our volunteer instructors.

- Single 2-hour seminar only: $29
    - t-shirt only: $15
    - DVD (each): $35
    - DVD set (volumes 1-3): $79
    - Lunch only: $12
    - Camp only (3 2-hour seminars): $79
    - Full camp package (3 2-hour seminars, lunch, shirt, 3 DVD set; $219 value): $159

These are pre-order/pre-registration​ prices only, along with claiming your spot with the seminars you want on a first-come, first-serve basis. Anything after 09/03/2011, a late registration fee of 5% will be added. Anything the day of will have a registration fee of 10% added. To register, go here:

http://www.trinitykaratefo​rchrist.com/Kenpo-Ohana-Re​gistration.html

Pastor Chris and his team at Trinity Karate and myself are working hard to ensure you have the best possible experience, and all of our presenters are excited about the opportunity to share their time, knowledge, and energy with you, all to help these children who really have no one else to help them in their situations. If we can make this a success, then it will be a win, win, win for all of us.
    I then made the following comment:

Register early to make sure you get the seminars you want (though with the quality of instruction all of these presenters give, no one is going to leave disappointed).
    I should also point out that there will be limited quantities of the shirts and DVDs, and participants will get first dibs here too. I'm planning on having a videographer in each seminar, and then having the DVDs edited and duped (helps when you have friends in the motion picture industry). Want to see what was covered in the seminars you weren't able to be in personally? See it on the DVD. Not the same as being there (feeling is believing, yes?), but the next best thing. But as mentioned, participants will get priority.
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Somehow left Captain Ron Sanchez off the list. So here's the REAL completed schedule with presenters and topics:

10am-12n
    * Rich Hale: Elements of Kenpo - Little things that make a big difference
    * David Crouch: Universal Patterns of Motion in the Kenpo System
    * Robert Temple: Partnership Training - Focusing on Timing and Rhythm for Combat
    * Dian Tanaka: Eskrima Close-Quarter Stick Techniques

1-3pm
    * Bob White: Purpose Driven Journey to Success - How to Improve Your Skills
    * Clark Cole: Break Stance Method - How to turn Motion into Movement
    * Donnie Williams: Torque, Power, & Accuracy in Punching
    * Manny Martinez: Kenpo in the Cage
    * Ron Sanchez: Survival Mindset and Firearm Disarms

3-5pm
    * Barbara White: Women's Self Defense
    * Ken Kellogg: Mindset for Combat
    * Ray Caldwell: Ground Fighting From the Perspective of Competitive Wrestling
    * Ron Chapel: SubLevel 4 Kenpo
    * Vinton Koklich: Natural Weapons & Combat Breathing

We'll get the registration page updated shortly.

http://www.trinitykarateforchrist.co...istration.html
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to akute For This Useful Post:

DRANKIN (07-14-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Updating some info:

On behalf of Pastor Chris Stewart with Trinity Karate for Christ, and myself with Victory Karate, I would like to announce the Kenpo Ohana 2011 charity benefit camp in Downey, California, on Saturday, September 24, 2011. All net proceeds will be going to support these 3 charities:

* Missionaries in India who rescue children from the slave trade,
    * Missionaries in Asia who run an orphanage and school,
    * The Royal Family Kids Camp, who ministers to abused children.

The list of presenters and their time slots are currently scheduled as follows (subject to change):

10am-12n
    * Professor Robert Temple: Partnership Training - Focusing on Timing and Rhythm for Combat
    * Dr. Rich Hale: Elements of Kenpo - Little things that make a big difference
    * Dr. David Crouch: Universal Patterns of Motion in the Kenpo System
    * Professor Dian Tanaka: Eskrima Close-Quarter Stick Techniques

1-3pm
    * Professor Bob White: Purpose Driven Journey to Success - How to Improve Your Skills
    * Bishop Donnie Williams: Torque, Power, & Accuracy in Punching
    * Associate Professor Manny Martinez: Kenpo in the Cage
    * Captain Ron Sanchez: Survival Mindset and Firearm Disarms
    * Head Instructor Clark Cole: Break Stance Method - How to turn Motion into
    Movement

3-5pm
    * Ron "Doc" Chapel, PhD: SubLevel 4 Kenpo
    * Professor Vinton Koklich: Natural Weapons & Combat Breathing
    * Associate Professor Ken Kellogg: Mindset for Combat
    * Senior Instructor Barbara White: Women's Self Defense

Remembering that 100% of the proceeds from this event will be going to charity should encourage us to dig deep into our pockets to support such great organizations. We have tried to keep the fees reasonable considering the high level of instruction provided by our volunteer instructors.

- Full camp package (3 2-hour seminars, lunch, shirt, 3 DVD set; $219 value): $159

These are pre-order/pre-registration​ prices only, along with claiming your spot with the seminars you want on a first-come, first-serve basis. Anything after 09/03/2011, a late registration fee of 5% will be added. Anything the day of will have a registration fee of 10% added. To register, go here:

http://www.trinitykaratefo​rchrist.com/Kenpo-Ohana-Re​gistration.html

Please remember to bring any necessary training equipment: sticks, knives, safety glasses, shoes, t-shirt, towel, water, etc.

Pastor Chris and his team at Trinity Karate and myself are working hard to ensure you have the best possible experience, and all of our presenters are excited about the opportunity to share their time, knowledge, and energy with you, all to help these children who really have no one else to help them in their situations. If we can make this a success, then it will be a win, win, win for all of us.
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akute For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (07-20-2011),DRANKIN (07-20-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Aaaaarghhhh! I want to be there so bad. Maybe I can postpone the birth of my child. Maybe not.

James
    The obstacles we face are not what define us, but how we respond to those obstacles.

We should not fear failure. We should fear being successful at things that do not matter. - Randy Adams

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    -Sir Edmund Burke

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

All signed up and now just counting the days. It was really hard picking which sessions to take, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed... plus I purchased the complete camp package which means that I'll get videos of all the sessions. Looking forward to a great turnout and a lot of lessons learned. Make sure you post as well when you sign up.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

akute (07-29-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akute View Post
    Registration is now open! Remembering that 100% of the proceeds from this event will be going to charity should encourage us to dig deep into our pockets to support such great organizations. We have tried to keep the fees reasonable considering the high level of instruction provided by our volunteer instructors.

Also, confirmed Dian Tanaka as a presenter. The list of presenters and their time slots is currently scheduled as follows (subject to change):

10am-12n
    * Rich Hale: Elements of Kenpo - Little things that make a big difference
    * David Crouch: Universal Patterns of Motion in the Kenpo System
    * Robert Temple: Partnership Training - Focusing on Timing and Rhythm for Combat
    * Dian Tanaka: Eskrima Close-Quarter Stick Techniques

1-3pm
    * Bob White: Purpose Driven Journey to Success - How to Improve Your Skills
    * Clark Cole: Break Stance Method - How to turn Motion into Movement
    * Donnie Williams:
    * Manny Martinez: Kenpo in the Cage

3-5pm
    * Barbara White: Women's Self Defense (classroom)
    * Ken Kellogg:
    * Ron Chapel: SubLevel 4 Kenpo
    * Vinton Koklich: Natural Weapons & Combat Breathing

Very much looking forward to this event and seeing everyone there.

EA
    Your killing me with the line up? I got the tickets but have not registered... wondering and trying to decide.... think think think....
    Dennis Rankin talked me into it....damn you Dennis
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sumdumguy For This Useful Post:

akute (07-29-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    Your killing me with the line up? I got the tickets but have not registered... wondering and trying to decide.... think think think....
    "Do it!"
    Basics, the rest is bullshytery.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

LOL! Choice is a good thing, right? Can't take the Henry Ford approach...

I agree with RDCParker:

It was really hard picking which sessions to take, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed... plus I purchased the complete camp package which means that I'll get videos of all the sessions.
    I don't think you can go wrong, regardless of who you see. I've spent mat time with everyone presenting, and I KNOW without a doubt that you'll gain something valuable and grow in your abilities. They all bring something amazing, yet different. And you'll get each for 2 hours! It's gonna be awesome.
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

14. The Following User Says Thank You to akute For This Useful Post:

DRANKIN (07-29-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Here is a friendly reminder that early registration ends this Saturday, 09/03/2011.

I was able to help out at the Origins MA Festival that Professor White refers to below, and got to talk to a lot of people about the upcoming Kenpo Ohana. Many are excited about this rare gathering. I look forward to seeing everyone there!

Here is the info once again for your convenience:

Updated FB event page:https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=125268564222054

On behalf of Pastor Chris Stewart with Trinity Karate for Christ, and myself with Victory Karate, I would like to announce the Kenpo Ohana 2011 charity benefit camp in Downey, California, on Saturday, September 24, 2011. All net proceeds will be going to support these 3 charities:

The list of presenters and their time slots are currently scheduled as follows (subject to change):

10am-12n
    * Professor Robert Temple: Partnership Training - Focusing on Timing and Rhythm for Combat
    * Professor Dian Tanaka: Eskrima Close-Quarter Stick Techniques

1-3pm
    * Professor Bob White: Purpose Driven Journey to Success - How to Improve Your Skills
    * Captain Ron Sanchez: Survival Mindset and Firearm Disarms
    * Head Instructor Clark Cole: Break Stance Method - How to turn Motion into
    Movement

3-5pm
    * Professor Vinton Koklich: Natural Weapons & Combat Breathing

These are pre-order/pre-registration prices only, along with claiming your spot with the seminars you want on a first-come, first-serve basis. Anything after 09/03/2011, a late registration fee of 5% will be added. Anything the day of will have a registration fee of 10% added. To register, go here:

Hotel Information:

Downey - Embassy Suites
    8425 East Firestone Blvd.
    Downey, CA 90241
    Tel: (562) 861-1900
    Direct: (562) 299-1620
    www.losangelesdowney.embassysuites.com

Mention "Kenpo Ohana '11"
    and receieve our special room rate of $130.00/Night
    Better Hurry!! We only have a block of 10 rooms reserved!
    if you make your reservation before 9/6/2011
    ***Full cook to order breakfast is included***

Please remember to bring any necessary training equipment: sticks, knives, safety glasses, shoes, t-shirt, towel, water, etc.

Salute,

Erik Akutagawa
    Chris Stewart
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Okay so it's less than a month away now, and the excitement is building for me, can't wait to attend this. After debating with myself and agonizing over what to choose from the stellar lineup of presenters, I've signed up for the following sessions:

- Dr. David Crouch: Universal Patterns of Motion in the Kenpo System
    - Bishop Donnie Williams: Torque, Power, & Accuracy in Punching
    - Ron "Doc" Chapel, PhD: SubLevel 4 Kenpo

So just curious, what sessions have YOU signed up for? =)
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

akute (09-01-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RDCParker View Post
    Okay so it's less than a month away now, and the excitement is building for me, can't wait to attend this. After debating with myself and agonizing over what to choose from the stellar lineup of presenters, I've signed up for the following sessions:

- Dr. David Crouch: Universal Patterns of Motion in the Kenpo System
    - Bishop Donnie Williams: Torque, Power, & Accuracy in Punching
    - Ron "Doc" Chapel, PhD: SubLevel 4 Kenpo

So just curious, what sessions have YOU signed up for? =)
    Hale
    White
    Chapel
    Basics, the rest is bullshytery.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRANKIN For This Useful Post:

akute (09-02-2011),RDCParker (09-05-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: Kenpo Ohana 2011 - Downey, California, - Saturday, September 24, 2011

Hello
    I have just signed up for Dr Crouch, Mr Sanchez and Dr Chapel.
    Looking forward to meeting you all in a few weeks time.
    Respectfully
    Cheers
    Dominic
    Sendai Kenpo

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dominic For This Useful Post:

akute (09-07-2011),RDCParker (09-05-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRANKIN View Post
    "Do it!"
    I did, I just don't remember who I signed up for now? I think Hale, White and Chapel but I can't promise... Now for a place to stay.... Yikes my peeps backed out... Oh well it's warm in Cali and I'll have a pillow
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sumdumguy For This Useful Post:

akute (09-07-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

actually do you have short bios on each person...
    I was curious who Ray Caldwell is. I am not sure if I know him, of him, or not at all...
    thanks

25. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyKBoxer For This Useful Post:

akute (09-07-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKBoxer View Post
    actually do you have short bios on each person...
    I was curious who Ray Caldwell is. I am not sure if I know him, of him, or not at all...
    thanks
    Chris Stewart was working on the bios. I've contacted him to get an update on this.

As for Mr. Caldwell, here's a link with some of his background; it's to a seminar he did for our group last year:

http://victorykarate.com/VKRayCaldwellSeminar.html

He's done a number of seminars over the years, and everyone has always enjoyed them, including Kenpo and BJJ guys (everyone except me, since I always end up being his demo partner, and he outweighs me by a good 60 pounds!). Highly recommended.
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

It's coming up soon! What a rare gathering of Kenpo history, talent, and knowledge. And all for a great cause - to help children in need. Pastor Chris Stewart stated that the bios are now online. Regardless of who you sign up for, I guarantee that you won't be disappointed.

This past summer, I saw 2 high schoolers raise money to go towards a youth camp for orphaned kids saved from the slave trade and human trafficking. Within 24 hours, these 2 collected $1200. $1200!!! If these 2 high schoolers can collect $1200 within 1 day, imagine what the Kenpo/MA community can do - and have a great time learning and training while doing it.

And even non-Kenpo/non-MA people can get involved: Get the woman you love, whether your mom, wife, aunt, sister, cousin, etc., to go to Ms. Barbara White's Women's Self Defense Seminar.
    Last edited by akute; 09-12-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

OK Kenpo family, I have good news and bad news:

Good news first: Pastor Chris and I have received a number of inquiries from many of you wanting to attend the Ohana, but are currently unable to do so due to your current financial situations. We can certainly understand this. Since we want you all to be able to enjoy this gathering, we are enabling you to pay a portion as a "good faith deposit" and then pay off the remainder by the end of October. Attend 1 seminar for $10, and then pay $20 by the end of October. Want to go all day? $20 gets you in for the entire day of seminars, and then pay the remaining $60 by the end of October.

Remember that all net funds will be going towards helping children in need. Our presenters and volunteers are all donating their time in a concerted effort to help these children. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to share why this is so close to my heart, but suffice to say that we all have an opportunity to do a good work here.

And now the bad news: I regret to announce that Captain Ron Sanchez, Professor Dian Tanaka, and Professor Vinton Koklich will be unable to attend the Ohana. Sadly, life sometimes gets in the way. I have communicated with each of them, and they each apologize for not being able to attend. However, each has a reason which I fully support, even to our detriment. It is not my place to state why, as some have private matters that they may not want revealed on a public forum. I have left that to them as to how they want to approach that.

Regardless, if you have signed up for their seminars, you will be contacted to choose another presenter during that time slot, or receive a full refund. I would encourage you to check out someone you've never met or seen before. I've spent training time with all of these presenters, and I assure you that you will benefit greatly from your time with each and everyone of them. I personally guarantee it.

That all said, we still have an incredible line-up and we are all excited about this event. It is an incredible opportunity on many levels, from the training time, to seeing old and new friends, and most of all, to help out these children who have not one else to defend them.

For your convenience, here is the facebook event page link with the updated details:

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=125268564222054
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Kenpo Ohana 2011 is THIS SATURDAY!!!

Some more updates:

Upon hearing about the changes with the Kenpo Ohana, a few of our beloved Seniors contacted me and offered to help out. I am grateful and humbled by their response. We truly have a wonderful Kenpo family.

Planning continues to be in full swing. We have patches in (for a sample, you can click here). We will have certificates that can be signed by the instructors. We will have t-shirts. We will have lunch available, where you can ask questions and talk Kenpo, or just hear some of the stories from these wonderful Seniors and senior ranking Black Belts. It is going to be a great time.

Look forward to seeing you all there!

For your convenience, below are all the event details.

Respectfully,

Erik Akutagawa

P.S. Please remember to invite the woman you love, whether your mom, sister, wife, girlfriend, cousin, niece, etc., to attend Ms. Barbara White's Women's Self Defense Seminar.

--

Time:
    Saturday, September 24 10:00am - 5:00pm

8219 Florence Ave
    Downey, CA

10am-12n

1-3pm
    * Head Instructor Clark Cole: Break Stance Method - How to turn Motion into Movement

3-5pm

For those in difficult financial situations, we understand and still want you to partake. You can attend 1 seminar for $10 and pay the remaining $20 by October 31, 2011. Want to go all day? $20 gets you in for the entire day of seminars, and then pay the remaining $60 by October 31, 2011.

To pre-register, go here:

Hotel Information:

Downey - Embassy Suites
    Downey, CA 90241

Salute,

Erik Akutagawa
    Chris Stewart
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Just 2 days away...

OK, more good news and bad news:

Bad news first. Mr. Ken Kellogg suffered a severe injury that may require surgery. So Mr. Kellogg had to bow out of teaching at The Ohana. Those of you signed up with him will be contacted so you can make a 2nd choice. But please join me in praying for Mr. Kellogg as he recovers.

And that takes me to the good news. Mr. Paul Dye has contacted me stating that he is available to teach. And someone only referred to as "a senior" will also be coming (don't ask me who it is, as I have no idea, and I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth). So the day looks to be chock full of surprises as well.

And remember, this is all for the kids. Speaking of which, if you're curious as to my story and how I got connected to this event (you might particularly appreciate it if you're a fan of the movie "Taken"), go here:

http://vkfit.blogspot.com/2011/09/09...a-charity.html

Looking forward to seeing you all at The Ohana!

Respectfully,

Erik Akutagawa

--

Time:
    Saturday, September 24 10:00am - 5:00pm

8219 Florence Ave
    Downey, CA

To pre-register, go here:

Hotel Information:

Downey - Embassy Suites
    Downey, CA 90241

Salute,

Erik Akutagawa
    Chris Stewart
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

31. The Following User Says Thank You to akute For This Useful Post:

RDCParker (09-22-2011)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads