Thread: Anybody in here trained in Hawaii?

Thanks

Default Anybody in here trained in Hawaii?

I am planning a trip to HI. towards the end of next year, one of our senior black-belts lives in HI. so I can train with him (old school training!)and also visit some of the historical Kempo sights! This will be my first trip to HI. for any reason and I am stoked about the possibilities-

Have any of you been there to train or to see the landmasks like the Palama Settlement and whatnot?

Hope everyone has a great night!

James
    The above is just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Cool Re: Anybody in here trained in Hawaii?

I have,I earned my first Yellow belt there as a 6th Grader.
    I lived in Kailua Kona for four years and learned alot about Kenpo and its history in the Islands. Fighting is a Hawaiian Tradition. It goes back many years to the games the hawaiians of old would play. One example.

A Aliihi (KING) would have his servants throw a bunch of spears at him. He would catch the first one and block the rest only to return that spear to the opponent who through it.

Now thats fighting with a staff long range!

If people are interested in more info about Hawaii and the traditions or history of kenpo there, let me know ill post more..

thanks
    Famous musicians dont practice. Their on the road playing to much.

In Kenpo, that would be ..... Ill leave you pondering like a Koan..

"The one who knows nothing is the one who truly knows all."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Default Re: Anybody in here trained in Hawaii?

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    I am planning a trip to HI. towards the end of next year, one of our senior black-belts lives in HI. so I can train with him (old school training!)and also visit some of the historical Kempo sights! This will be my first trip to HI. for any reason and I am stoked about the possibilities-

Have any of you been there to train or to see the landmasks like the Palama Settlement and whatnot?

Hope everyone has a great night!

James
    We were one of the only haule' families in Wainae (sp?), on Oahu. As such, had lots of motivation to start young. Started Kempo and Kajukenbo at the Japanese school and Hongwonji temple there. Also started in Japanese jujutsu at the Police station. 6 years ols in 1971. May 28th. My B-day present was to start learning how to slow down me geeting my butt kicked.

Moved here (California) in about '74, and haven't been back since. Have a great time, and stay away from my old home town...I here it's still a bit....unfriendly.

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

I always wondered how to spell "haule"! LOL So you were given the gift of self defense? I suppose that was more a necessity for you. It IS a gift that keep on giving though.

I was fortunate to grow up in a small town where the doors could be left unlocked, and acts of violence were few and far between. My only hardship was that we were poor, but I would take that government cheese any day over getting my butt kicked. LOL

Thanks for posting Doctor Dave!
    Last edited by Dianhsuhe; 12-15-2006 at 04:08 PM. Reason: I miss spelled the word "spell" LOL

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

"Haole" That's how to spell that...Anyways, there is a small Kara-Ho Kenpo group that trains on Hickam AFB. I have seen those guys and worked out with some members of the group. The group is headed by Jacob Chung, a direct student of Mr. William Chow. If you'd like, I can get intouch with them for you.
    Dennis S. de los Reyes

http://www.myspace.com/denz1

Thanks

I am not familiar with Mr Chung or his group...Any information would be great!

Thanks for posting!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links