Thread: Kara-Ho Kempo History

Thanks

Default Kara-Ho Kempo History

Rob and I were talking about the lack of content about Kara-Ho Kempo on Kenpotalk, so I thought I would put forward some of the stuff I have catalogged from the parent site, Martial Talk.

These are responses from Grandmaster Kuoha over the last 18 months maybe? I have not made any changes other than grammar and spelling.

I also understand there might not be a big demand for this info. but I wanted to make it available to the good folks on KT, especially since I have been in Kara-Ho since 1993 and much of this info. was new to me when I read it--

"Originally Posted by TIGER DRAGON FIGHT
    My understanding of kara-ho kenpo is it has influenced other branches of kenpo. The forms and open hand techniques as well as the black belt forms resemble."

Grandmaster Kuoha:
    "That is correct! Though many believe that I have changed the system, that is an incorrect statement. Professor Chow saw me doing some high kicks in the early 70's so he asked me where I had learned them so I told him, then he told me to do them again several times, and then he said that it would be a good idea to teach high kicks so if you know how to do them, you will also know how to defend against that also. He however revised the kicks so they were not a whipping type kick as I was doing them, but a chambering of the knees until the last second. Then he had me do them with an extension of chi to create a force much greater then a normal person could exert and making it much more powerful.
    If you watched one of our students (preferably an instructor) you will see the big difference between these kicks and those of what I originally learned which was Tae Kwon Do. Many things were innovated between the years 72-87 and many people were not around to see these things change and still kept the original art. If you get to find one of our black belts that is 2nd degree black belt or higher, ask him/her to do any technique from #6-10's or even higher #11-15's and you will see the new Professor Chow.
    And to rest everyone's mind, our two small schools here in San Diego were the only ones that supported him and his wife throughout their life. Our small organization then even set up an account at the bank in Hawaii and every month all his bills were paid from money that we put into and he was given money that month to live off of. When he passed away there was over $4,000 in coins in shoe boxes hidden under his bed and when Patsy Chow was asked where all that money came from, her response was "Samuel".
    After Professor's death we took care of Patsy Chow also and put her in a real good home where we paid about 25% of her expenses, then twice a month we paid my sister (who lives there) to go and pick her up and get her things that she might need and to take her to the gravesite to visit Professor. There was no one else that did that and that was confirmed by his advisor, Dr. Perry. He stated that everyone took from Professor but people forgot to give back. Let's put it this way when Professor passed away he had about 2-3 students and I went back home to visit Patsy Chow about twice a year and she said that none came to visit her except for my sister every month and me. Kind of tells you what we as human's are made off, huh? We get caught up in our own world and we tend to forget what's really important to us all.
    Grandmaster Kuoha"
    The above is just my opinion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (12-26-2007)

Thanks

Default Here is another

I thought this was a great question from MT-

"As I analyze the style of Kempo I am training, how can I recognize the influences of Prof. Chow? What are the tell-tale signs that might have survived through all the generations to make it to my school?
    Thanks!
    David"

Grandmaster Kuoha:
    First of all, I don't know what style of Kenpo/Kempo you are learning but I think if anyone told me that they followed the roots and branch of the famed Professor William KS Chow I would look for some low-line fighting techniques, vital strikes to points that would cripple or destroy an opponent and the coverage of defeating several opponents at once with rapid strikes. I don't mean striking an opponent with a series of slaps and blows that would antagonize him but put that person out of commission.
    Professor Chow's system is a no nonsense system that is highly dangerous and can be extremely lethal and that is why Ki is the most important ingredient in the basis of training. This is to encourage a student to be more humble, respectful and having great control. A Kara-Ho student at an advance stage can be very deadly though they are trained to be humble. Take for instance, my head of the security program and a student/instructor in the Kara-Ho System is a former Sgt/Maj in the USMC staged to teach all the recons. He was deployed in the 1st Gulf War and was a short distance away from Saddam Hussein but was ordered not to take him out at that time. He was there with a small amount of elite group before our government knew they were there in the Imperial Palace. He has two sides to his personality yet if it wasn't for the teachings of Kara-Ho he might have gone off the edge.
    Then another one of our instructors is a Lt. Col. in the Marine Corps assigned as the assistant to the Joint Chief of Staff. Both men will be awarded into the Master's Martial Arts Hall of fame this coming August at a black Tie affair in LA. Many of our instructors are law enforcement officers in several different departments, including my own brother and many of them are teaching self defense to their perspective departments. My instructor also taught the Navy SEALS underwater combat here in San Diego. So they will only use what they are taught if the need arises and only then."
    Hope this helps,
    Grandmaster Kuoha

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (12-26-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Kara-Ho Kempo History

Great stuff! More please.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

I agree I would love to read as much as you’re willing to share.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Great Stuff, I love it!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Thanks for posting this!!!! Got any more goodies?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Cool! Thanks for the kind words. I was not sure anyone would be interested in this stuff but I thought I would post some of the interesting bits as they pertain to the entire Kempo/Kenpo family.

There is some REAL good information about Kara-Ho in the later years 72-87 that most are not aware of...

When I get home later I will try to find more posts that are applicable! I am happy to answer any questions about Kara-Ho and if I do not know the answer (pretty likely ) I will get it directly from Grandmaster Kuoha!

Thanks again for the support and stay tuned!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I believe when you posted for people to ask questions about the art, no one knew enough to even know what to ask.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Rob, I do not mind that there were few questions on the other Kara-Ho thread... Just making it available to the folks here at KT

Hopefully everbody who is involved with kempo/Kenpo even casually will know who Professor Chow was...Most of the Kempo world falls under the tree of Professor Chow.

Here is a good one:

Originally Posted by Mark L
    "GM Kuoha,
    What forms are the basis of Kara-Ho, and what is there origin?"

Grandmaster Kuoha,
    "The only things that could be considered as forms that the Kara-Ho Kempo System had in the 50-70's was Professor Chow's linear techniques. In the 50's to the mid 70's, Professor said that he did use the Hansuki Form and the Naihanchi Form but these were all derivatives of the Mitose System. Kwai-Sun Kata was developed in the late 70's using techniques from his linear techniques to make up the kata. Kata Set II was developed shortly thereafter and then followed Hoshi and Combination Form. The original Combo Form was actually developed with my oldest daughter (who was promoted to her black belt by Professor Chow) and Professor said that form was for her. It was later used in the system for 1st degree black and changed a little to magnify and show the talents of what a black belt should be like. My oldest daughter now nearly 37 years old was only a yellow belt when Professor, her and I developed said kata. There are more but they are taught in the higher advanced stages.
    There are also 18 different weapons, both with the Japanese and Chinese influence that are taught with 3 kata’s for each weapon, so it's a never ending progress to learn. About one third was done with Professor Chow and the other two-thirds I designed from what he and others have taught me still keeping in line the philosophies of the Kara-Ho System. Hope this helps."
    Grandmaster Kuoha

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (12-26-2007)

Thanks

I apologize for the BOLD font... I cannot seem to get the "B" tool here on MT to un-bolden those portions from my Word doc.

Sorry-

Thanks

Dianhsuhe

I always have to Un- bold in Word then cut and paste here. Other wise it seems to bold it out here.

Hope that helps
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

And another...

Originally Posted by The Kai
    Gm Kuoha
    "If you have the time and want to take a trip down memory lane, could you remember what a class was with GM Chow? I am curious, and would appreciate your time"
    Todd

Grandmaster Kuoha:
    "Todd:
    My training in the Kara-Ho Kempo Karate system, called Chinese Kenpo of Kara-Ho Karate when I was training was not like it is today. First of all my earlier training was done with one of Professor Chow's students (Charles Kuheana) in the mid 50's till I left Hawaii in '69. I trained for 8-10 hours a day even while attending school. Our value of the sleep was prized and very valuable to us even as a young person as we got very little of it. I met Professor Chow while I resided with Master Kuheana along with 5 others who were training, at various times and at first really did not like him. We trained at the home built like a shrine and also taught at the Salvation Army Gym and that is where Professor would come down once in a great while.
    To me at that time I felt he was too mean and abusive and I tried to stay clear of him but he would use me as uke quite often. The bruises and cracked bones in my body healed quickly then. I learned how to be tough real fast. In our training there was quite a bit of exercises and stretching. We did have a bit of fun as we played volleyball while wearing weighted gettas (Japanese Slippers) and we had to keep doing that everyday for an hour until each one of us could jump so our head could overlook the top of the net. It took me about 3 years to do that but the training that I went to, made a sure big difference on the strength of my legs. This was to build it so strong that our low line techniques were easier to make work.
    Times have changed and we do not train our students the same way as we did then as we were made tough with all the contact. However many of the trainings that modern day students receive have made them the same way as it was then. Our classes are a minimum of 2 hours each night and usually go till 2.5 hours. The first hour has strict exercises with lots of cardio and stretching. Some of those are such as doing two knuckle push-ups on cement blocks, center knuckles and tips of fingers. A lot of ab work is done and also some good ole yoga stretching. Then the training begins. The students train a minimum of 4 x a week and some go 6 days a week for the same length of time. It takes 6-8 years of this type of training to achieve their black belt.
    We do not, nor will we ever promote anyone to a junior black belt. There is probation of one year for each "dan" rank before the instructor receives his all important large notarized certificate from me personally like I received mine from Professor Chow. If they do not have it, then it only means that they did not make their probation and therefore did not achieve that rank from us. Probation period can be extended if the board feels necessary. All brown/black and black belts are tested and promoted through our board of directors and generally I must be present for all black belt promotions. This is the only way to keep control over the quality of the ranking instructors. We have tried and counseled with others for a better way, but there is none. This way we know for a fact that our instructors are teaching things as close as they can to what we are teaching at our school. We also have training sessions quite often for instructors and they are constantly traveling to San Diego to take private training with myself or some of the board members. The moral standards in this system are very strict and many instructors and students alike are terminated because of some things that they are doing that are not in accordance with the way this system is set up, so if you hear anyone say they used to be a student but quit because they didn't like something, it's more likely 'cause they screwed up and was kicked out. Most Kara-Ho Students that join in and stay for about 3-4 years usually stay a long while after that or their life focus changes in a different direction.
    Best,
    Grandmaster"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (12-26-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links