Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chow's Interview in Black Belt

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Chow's Interview in Black Belt

Check out this month's Black Belt for an interview with Prof. Chow. Chow said Parker never got past Purple Belt with him. He also said that Mitose was a Con-Man and taught him nothing. He said if you wanted to find a true Chow Black Belt and learn real Kara-Ho Kempo, you should go to Nick Cerio. Very interesting interview.
    1st degree Black Belt in Kajukenbo (Original Method) under Prof. John Bishop
    Bishop's Kajukenbo Academy, Diamond Bar, CA

dsp
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Chow's Interview in Black Belt

Yeah, a pretty interesting read. If you don't have access to a BB magazine, Doc posted a decent summary of the article over on MartialTalk.
    I wasn't surprised by the comments about Mitose, but I was surprised at how negative Chow was about Parker.

Thanks

Hi,
    I was not able to read the entire article myself, but as you have said, "Doc"
    gave a very good synopsis of it.

It is interesting the way we will interpret something and then have our opinions, then watch it play out on the screen.

If you have any doubt as to the importance of this man "Professor Chow", it should all have been cleared up by this timly reprint.

All the controversy in Hawaii about the various takes on "kenpo" has kept it alive and will continue to do so.

I believe the history has more to do with the reason a lot of persons go to a certain MA and NOT the instructor, LOL. We can not seem to get past the point of a bigotry that taints our whole outlook, whether admitted or not.

Some will continue to practice an art that is clearly inferior for self defense,
    because they are short sighted. Just look at the change in the times.
    When you put some years between a conflict then see how destructive a form of fighting is (as in Nick Cerio) we must then say "WTF" I never even knew that.

Now 20 years later a certain reprint is put out, all the information was there and has been for 20 years and we still want to argue about it. Interesting!

Just an observation, no disrespect intended.

Regards, GAB

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Crist!! That post gave me a headache just trying to read it.

dsp
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Kai
    Crist!! That post gave me a headache just trying to read it.
    I have to admit it left me somewhat confused as well....
    No offense to the poster.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

It is not the system, it is the individual. Regardless of system, if a person is not willing and able to do what needs done, it isnt gonna get done. I think everyone is all caught up on Chow's influence on Kenpo. He taught what he knew, period, the facts, dates, times, yada yada yada mean nothing. My kenpo begins with what SGM Parker decided to add, create, and teach, not Chow, Mitose, etc... The reprint of the Chow interview has done nothing more then what BLACKBELT Magazine loves to do, stir the pot. You have to take it for what it is, a cheap take at boosting sales.

Just My Opinion,
    Gary Catherman

dsp
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Without Chow, Mitose, etc there would be no Parker. Parker was taught and was influenced by these people, he didn't just suddenly create Kenpo where nothing existed before. I don't understand why the EPAK people want to cut everyone prior to Mr. Parker out of the equation. Yes, he did great things for the art, but he didn't do it alone.

Thanks

Smile Re: Chow's Interview in Black Belt

Hi All,

Some of the information that was printed is skewed that is for sure.

Now in the days of Professor Chow teaching SGM Parker. There were not the same colored belts if you believe the information that has been put forth in the last several decades.

So what color belt was SGM Parker when he left?
    A- Green
    B- Blue
    C- Purple
    D- Brown
    E- None of the above

There is only one answer. It is in the above question. It is not a trick question.

SGM Parker makes it quite clear in his Infinite Insights book # 1.

Now who is telling the truth? Does it matter?

Regards, Gary

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I think what Gary is trying to say is that back in the day when SGM Parker was training there were only three ranks commonly used-White, Brown and Black. So Ed Parker could not have been a purple belt. In his book I believe SGM stated he was a brown under chow

At least I'm pretty sure that is the jist of the last post

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsp
    Without Chow, Mitose, etc there would be no Parker. Parker was taught and was influenced by these people, he didn't just suddenly create Kenpo where nothing existed before. I don't understand why the EPAK people want to cut everyone prior to Mr. Parker out of the equation. Yes, he did great things for the art, but he didn't do it alone.
    DSP,
    Your right, SGM Parker had teachers. However, he CREATED American kenpo. He took the basics that he was taught and added his concepts, principles, and methods to them, and what we have now is EPAK. If you line up an EPAK studet, a Tracy student, and a Kara-Ho student, have them all execute the same or similar technique, there are huge differences in the way the techniques look, and are performed. I prefer the EPAK method to the other two. So, I dont care about Chows teachings. My kenpo begins with SGM Parker, not Chow, Mitose, Oshita, etc.... Parkers innovations are what made EPAK what it is, not Chow nor any of his teachers, or their teachers, etc.... You are also correct in that he didnt do it alone, some of his first generation blackbelts created items found with in the system, and each and every item was done so with EPAK principles and concepts and all were accepted and approved by SGM Parker. Once again, its all about preference. A person can boil a chicken breast and eat it with no seasoning, or you can marinate it, season it, grill it, and plate it up with a savory condiment. I like my chicken spicy.

Gary C.

Thanks

Hi,

I have read most of the response's. This board and others.

What is interesting is the absolute lack of correct information regarding the interview.

You can dance around it all you want but the amount of misinformation, politics and other beat around the bush statements, still do not answer the question's or answer's.

Gary C.

You talk about all the stuff you do in EPAK yet you are now going by Kalicombat. Are you attached to Nicks group?

I was curious have you switched over to the Kali, JKD thought pattern or do you just like the new handle?
    I practice in Dan Inosanto's Kali Escrima and JKD, I have been to seminars put on by Rick Faye (2nd generation).
    I just recently attended a seminar put on with Richard Bustillo. Good stuff, knowledgeable Master and a nice person.

The school I study at has many curriculum's and I try to be involved with most. Pretty much retired to that only.

In the last year I have been to seminars and private classes put on by such notables as Guro George Santana, Guro Carlito Bonjoc Jr., Guro Ramon Estallia,
    Hanshi Bruce Juchnic (Cabales Escrima), Guro Rick Faye, Guro Richard Bustillo and work out with my Sensei Pat Kelly 3 to 4 times a week. Much money and time, but it has kept me off the streets.
    I also work out with my Friend, Black Belt Kelly Keltner and my son Black Belt Robert Brewer.

Me I am just a white belt still learning.

I prefer the FMA arts now, sticks empty hands etc. I do a lot of working on the bags for endurance, along with different forms to keep the foot work in par with the hand's. FMA has a lot of foot work and angles that are paramont in being able to move and stay out of harms way.

I also enjoy American and Thai Boxing.

I also go to boxing Movies and enjoyed the Memorial week-end by watching Ali reruns.

I have been involved with horses and owned them for 40 years as many as 25 at a time. I breed and raised pit bulls and still have an old one, when she is gone (no mas).

I am a retired LAPD, I was in the Marine Corps 4 years, I have been in construction for over 50 years.

Last but not least I have been banned from 3 boards, working on a forth.

So Gary, what is your claim to fame?

Regards, Gary

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure that the thread is about an interview that appeared in a magazine, try to kinda keep the focus within that galaxy
    I don't think any body needs a claim to fame

If it helps I had a dog once

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

GAB, First, Kalicombat is my old AOL screenname from quite a few years ago. When I switched over to Martial talk alot of the people that knew me from the AOL boards were here and I used Kalicombat to register, I like it and I use it often. I have studied combat arts in one way or another since I was 9 years old, Im 39 years old now. No, Im not affiliated with Cerio's group. I simply saw the post on the Chow interview and wanted to chime in.

Lets see, my claim to fame??????? Well, the only thing that realy matters is that I am the proud father of two fabulous kids and one psychotic Boston Terrier.

As far as combat systems, seminars, and my love of kenpo.......yes, IVe studied various forms; yes, I too have attended alot of seminars by well known and well respected teachers; and yes, I love not only EPAK Kenpo, but another kenpo system and a few stick and knife systems as well.

I dont think Ive been kicked out of any talk forums, but there's a list of bars and night clubs that I have been asked not to return to that will rival just about anyones.

Gary C.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalicombat
    GAB,

Lets see, my claim to fame??????? Well, the only thing that realy matters is that I am the proud father of two fabulous kids and one psychotic Boston Terrier.

As far as combat systems, seminars, and my love of kenpo.......yes, IVe studied various forms; yes, I too have attended alot of seminars by well known and well respected teachers;

I dont think Ive been kicked out of any talk forums, but there's a list of bars and night clubs that I have been asked not to return to that will rival just about anyones.

Gary C.
    Hi Gary,

Sounds good to me.

Hi All,
    I was curious does anyone have the correct answer for the above question
    about the correct belt For SGMEP.
    I see a picture in one of his Infinite Insight books (same picture that John Leoning is in) that states:
    Ed Parker was Black Belt.

Regards, Gary

dsp
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A Brewer
    Hi Gary,

Sounds good to me.

Hi All,
    I was curious does anyone have the correct answer for the above question
    about the correct belt For SGMEP.
    I see a picture in one of his Infinite Insight books (same picture that John Leoning is in) that states:
    Ed Parker was Black Belt.

Regards, Gary
    Guess it depends on what you mean by "correct". Your correct? Parker's correct? Chow's correct? The only two that could make statements to make a difference are gone, so what's the point? So you saw in a Parker book where it claims that he is a BB. Looks like there are also quotes in print where Chow says that's a lie and he just wanted money and was a purple belt. Who cares?? I have no affiliation with EPAK so Parker's rank at any particular time is of no concern to me.
    What does any of this this have to do with Professor Cerio in the first place??

Thanks

Talking Re: Chow's Interview in Black Belt

Quote Originally Posted by dsp
    Guess it depends on what you mean by "correct". Your correct? Parker's correct? Chow's correct? The only two that could make statements to make a difference are gone, so what's the point? So you saw in a Parker book where it claims that he is a BB. Looks like there are also quotes in print where Chow says that's a lie and he just wanted money and was a purple belt. Who cares?? I have no affiliation with EPAK so Parker's rank at any particular time is of no concern to me.
    What does any of this this have to do with Professor Cerio in the first place??
    Hi dsp,

The reason it is here is the first post regarding Chow and his statements as to Professor Cerio carrying on his legacy (best to go to, to learn his stuff etc.)

But, like I have pointed out in several of my posts, it is not a question of who is not telling the truth, but what is the truth?

Truth is something that is overlooked because there are so many untruths.

As I said in a few of my Rambling's who cares, what does it matter?
    Well it matters to some, and not to others.

When the President of the US is caught in a lie. People react and generally the stuff crumbles in a free society. If it is not a free society then it does not matter, because those people are not free to make a statement or cause the wall to crumble.

I consider the questions to matter, remember some times in an interview it is taken out of context, or not correctly done.

But when someone writes a book and states things that are not the truth it comes back to haunt them.

Regards, Gary

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Here we go down the rabbit hole, I hope I am not late for the tea party!!

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

i don't know if this was asked?? but why did it take so long for this to come to light??kind of makes you think?? but all in all it don't matter, because look at where everyone is in there training, i guess soneone has to throw eggs.
    i also read that in BB, i'm going to call Sam kahoa and ask him.
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

Thanks

Talking Re: Chow's Interview in Black Belt

Quote Originally Posted by The Kai
    Here we go down the rabbit hole, I hope I am not late for the tea party!!
    Hi Kai,

Back from my jaunt to memory lane, 6 days of intense training and information.

As far as the rabbit hole, well lots has been said about the subject of which we are discussing in many threads.

Many statements by very knowledgable people in the various fields of MA.

Write that book and print that picture in it and it is pretty hard to refudiate.

Print an interview and it muddies the water, just like Hearst papers in the old days. Print what you want and let the fallout take care of its self.

In these days and times with the www. it is pretty hard to fool the people even some of the times. But in the case of Martial Arts it seems to be on the incline. Especially with old minds and old memories.

Regards, Gary

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A Brewer
    Hi Kai,

Back from my jaunt to memory lane, 6 days of intense training and information.

As far as the rabbit hole, well lots has been said about the subject of which we are discussing in many threads.

Many statements by very knowledgable people in the various fields of MA.

Write that book and print that picture in it and it is pretty hard to refudiate.

Print an interview and it muddies the water, just like Hearst papers in the old days. Print what you want and let the fallout take care of its self.

In these days and times with the www. it is pretty hard to fool the people even some of the times. But in the case of Martial Arts it seems to be on the incline. Especially with old minds and old memories.

Regards, Gary
    Ah yes! Memories...fart blossom...Orson Welles. Spain was good. HA! Internet buzz etc. Get what I'm saying? Yeah, People are strange. Wondering wondering. Money for nothing.

Regards.
    1st degree Black Belt in Kajukenbo (Original Method) under Prof. John Bishop
    Bishop's Kajukenbo Academy, Diamond Bar, CA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links