Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about Tai Kenpo

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default What about Tai Kenpo

Will there be a board or section for T.A.I. Kenpo in regards to GM Dave German?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,344 Times in 1,415 Posts

Default Re: What about Tai Kenpo

Quote Originally Posted by asangria
    Neat idea. Historically, though (and I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am), he pretty much bailed on kenpo, and only started calling it kenpo again after Mr. Parker passed. His TAI Karate (now called kenpo) has some cool variations on the old grab and beat kenpo stuff, but used to use different names (i.e., rolling talons instead of parting wings, or some such thang).

Interesting compliment from another kenpo senior, though. I asked Mr. Bob Perry about Mr. German, and any recollections he had. Despite Mr. Germans reputation for grappling in the kenpo crowd, Perry said, "Best kicks I've ever seen". Says I, "what about Bill Wallace, or the Hapkido, TKD, or Hwarang-Do guys? What about the Wu Shu crew & Chinese Opera players?". Says he, "Best kicks I've ever seen. David German. (*puffs purposefully on glitzy pipe, probably gifted to him by Elvis, or Liberace, or some similar persona*)"

Oddly, I've never seen him kick.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: What about Tai Kenpo

Quote Originally Posted by asangria
    Hi folks!
    This is my first post on the brand new KenpoTalk and I thought it would be apropiete [sp] to mention that Mr. German should be included in any kenpo message board. He is a wealth of information on American Kenpo and it's creation/development in it's infancy and would be a welcome addition to Kenpotalk.
    Thank you for your time,
    KENPOJOE
    "The truth, no matter who it hurts, is still the truth!"
    http://members.aol.com/kenpojoe/
    http://www.kenpojoe.com

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house
    Neat idea. Historically, though (and I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am), he pretty much bailed on kenpo, and only started calling it kenpo again after Mr. Parker passed. His TAI Karate (now called kenpo) has some cool variations on the old grab and beat kenpo stuff, but used to use different names (i.e., rolling talons instead of parting wings, or some such thang).

Interesting compliment from another kenpo senior, though. I asked Mr. Bob Perry about Mr. German, and any recollections he had. Despite Mr. Germans reputation for grappling in the kenpo crowd, Perry said, "Best kicks I've ever seen". Says I, "what about Bill Wallace, or the Hapkido, TKD, or Hwarang-Do guys? What about the Wu Shu crew & Chinese Opera players?". Says he, "Best kicks I've ever seen. David German. (*puffs purposefully on glitzy pipe, probably gifted to him by Elvis, or Liberace, or some similar persona*)"

Oddly, I've never seen him kick.

D.
    Hi folks!
    Dear Dave,
    First of all,Mr. German never "bailed" on kenpo, rather Mr. Parker "bailed" on him [for lack of a better phrase]. It unfortunately was due to an action by Mr. Parker at a martial arts tournament that caused young David German to leave Mr. Parker and go his own way. Kenpo has always been an integral part of T.A.I. and in every single article that has ever been done on Mr. German, He has always mentioned that. Tai Kenpo utilizes techniques from kenpo as it's base and when Mr. German added a distinct slant on a given technique, it was renamed.
    Having worked with Mr. German personally, I can also agree with his kicking skills, i can concur to that! he has a "inward downward diagonal roundhouse kick" into a "reverse/inverted roundhouse kick" that is devastating and that you will never see if fighting him,but you will feel it! He does have "greased Lightning" in those feet! I believe he demonstrates it in one of his videos but which one eludes me right now.
    I hope that I was of service,
    KENPOJOE
    "The truth, no matter who it hurts, is still the truth!"
    http://members.aol.com/kenpojoe/
    http://www.kenpojoe.com

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Hi KenpoJoe,

I noticed that I can't seem to find the complete Family Tree of GM German anymore. I did see one on the Kenpoman site but it wasn't complete as Master Snider didn't have any of his black belts listed . Do you know of a link that displays the Family Tree complete?

Quote Originally Posted by KENPOJOE
    Hi folks!
    This is my first post on the brand new KenpoTalk and I thought it would be apropiete [sp] to mention that Mr. German should be included in any kenpo message board. He is a wealth of information on American Kenpo and it's creation/development in it's infancy and would be a welcome addition to Kenpotalk.
    Thank you for your time,
    KENPOJOE

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I would also add Victor "Sonny" Gason to the list of people that have large enough followings to be added.
    1st degree Black Belt in Kajukenbo (Original Method) under Prof. John Bishop
    Bishop's Kajukenbo Academy, Diamond Bar, CA

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Gascon has a huge following as well.. Then again so does Villari, but that is a whole other thread...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fistlaw
    Gascon has a huge following as well.. Then again so does Villari, but that is a whole other thread...
    Right "Gascon". You caught my typo. But while we're at it, I think adding one for Villari is a good idea also. His empire is comparable with the Tracy's. There are 15 for Parker, but for crying out loud, he's not the only game in town! Where's George Pesare? If Cerio has one, then so should Pesare in my opinion. What about Bill Chun? Ralph Castro? Sam Kuoha?
    1st degree Black Belt in Kajukenbo (Original Method) under Prof. John Bishop
    Bishop's Kajukenbo Academy, Diamond Bar, CA

zealous Kenpoist Guest

as I understand it guys, the list of notables is not complete at all but is a work in progress. I'd bet that the people you mentioned would get a place seeing as how they're trying to make this a well rounded "all-that is Kenpo" site. I'd think it'd be a shame if they didn't.

as for David German: didn't he blend Jujutsu & Chin-Na with his Kenpo knowledge to create T.A.I.? What are his Jujutsu and Chin-Na credentials?? Who were his instructors? Just wondering.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

This was posted on Martial Talk by KenpoJoe

I hope this answers your question about GM German's credentials regarding Chin Na and Ju-Jitsu.

I hope KenpoJoe doesn't mind me copying & pasting his response to another question of MT.

Originally Posted by KENPOJOE
    Mr. German's association is in regards to Al Thomas' "Budokan" dojo from El Monte,CA where Mr. German learned Mr. Thomas' system of "Budojujutsu". Some of you might be familiar with Mr. Thomas's video tape "The world of martial arts" w/ Al Thomas, in which Chuck Norris did the introduction, John Saxon [of "enter the dragon" fame] did the narration, and benny urquidez,steve sanders,karen shepard,and many other martial arts greats were featured and performing Mr. Thomas' system. Mr. German received the Grandmastership of the Budojujutsu system from Al Thomas prior to his death by cancer. Mr. German mentions about this in his interview on one of the Panther Production tapes.
    Mr. German also trained and received instructor's certification in White Tiger Kung Fu from it's direct living Grandmaster Wai Fung Doo, [also known as Doo Wai] Mr. German, along with Brian Adams [author of "The Medical Implication of Karate Blows"]& Parker Linekin, were the main students under GM Doo Wai and were certified under him in Bok Fu as well as Bok mei {white eyebrow}. Mr. German also received certification from the Kuo Shu Federation of Taiwan in regards to his rank from Doo Wai.
    The "ninjutsu" you might have seen was either a early reference to the original variation on the "Kenpoman" called the "Ninjaman" which, if you have old issues of Black Belt Magazine, you can still see the advertisments for the product under that name.
    Mr. German has always used the term "TAI Karate" to refer to his art over the years. That is the phrase that most people on the west coast are familiar with as the name of Mr. German's art. BTW, John, thank you for mentioning Mr. German in your now famous "kenpo family tree" from that article long ago!
    The tern "ne waza" {ground techniques} has always been used in Jujutsu/Judo circles and has always been part of the TAI curriculum from Mr. German's training with Al Thomas. "Kenpo Jujutsu" is the perfect term for the blending of the kenpo into the jujutsu that Mr. German does, and it's one of the smoothest transitions I've ever seen in my martial arts career!
    I hope this properly addresses your comments and since you passed by his studio so many times over the years,you should have stopped by a few times! I'm sure Mr. German would have been happy to explain to you just as I have done so now.
    I hope that I was of some service,
    KENPOJOE

jmugg Guest

Well that Settles it for me.

I heard he has recently been working out with Larry Tatum as well...

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I have never heard of it. It would be cool to get more information on it.
    Owner & Chief Instructor
    Law Enforcement Asst Instructor
    Krav Fit Now
    www.kravfitnow.com
    281-687-4183

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by masherdong
    I have never heard of it. It would be cool to get more information on it.
    This is probably outdated but it gives a glimpse of who GM German is and the style he created:

http://www.davidgermankenpoman.com/A...terGerman.html

I hope this helps somewhat. I myself am trying to gather as much info as possible to share.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hi All

I just joined KT and found this thread.

As a TAI Kung Fu instructor, I thought I'd chime in.

TAI Kung Fu is what Master German called the Art in the 70s & 80s. One of his original TAI schools was on Charleston Blvd in Las Vegas, Nevada.

As to the question of TAI being a Kenpo art that is a complicated question.

Many will say NO. A true Parker practitioner would have to say yes. Master Parker wanted the system to be flexible to allow for new ideas and methods.

It is one of the reasons he resisted putting thing in writing and on tape.

Master German's Transition Action Incorporated (TAI) is the perfect example of that. No matter what name you use TAI Kung Fu, Budokan TAI, White Tiger Kenpo or TAI Kenpo the foundation is the same - Parker Kenpo.

Master German studied with Master Parker and opened two schools in Las Vegas under him.

To my knowledge all of the TAI systems use Kenpo as the foundation. All the techniques and Forms that I learned are Parker Kenpo. Master German simple added more for us to learn form other arts.

To those of you who have studied or are in Kenpo of any form, TAI, is in my humble opinion, is the next step. By adding Chen-Na, grappling and a few other things, it makes a great art even more effective.

Pete

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KENPOJOE
    "First of all,Mr. German never "bailed" on kenpo, rather Mr. Parker "bailed" on him [for lack of a better phrase]. It unfortunately was due to an action by Mr. Parker at a martial arts tournament that caused young David German to leave Mr. Parker and go his own way."
    I'm sorry Mr. Rebelo, but I have to ask a couple of questions.

(1.) Who bailed on who? In your first sentence you state that Mr. German never "bailed" on Kenpo. In expanding on that idea you go on to say that it was Mr. Parker who first "bailed" on Mr. German. Then, you state that Mr. German "left" Mr. Parker to go his own way after something that Mr. Parker apparently did.

(2.) What did Mr. Parker do?

(3.) Why and when did he decide to call it Kenpo again?

Thanks

Hi Joe,

Looking forward to finally meeting you at Larry Tatum's camp in a few weeks. I see that David German will be there as well. Will he be teaching or is he there for a different capacity?

Hopefully, him and I will get the chance to chat it up a little. I have one of his videos, and yikes, does he inflict some serious pain on his training partner. I would love to work some of his nasty little additions to techniques.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

hi jamie, i asked the same question when clyde came in a few weeks ago... he said he's not teaching a class, but if you pick his brain a little, he'll twist you into a pretzel... that is very high on my list of t'ings to do in vegas! pete.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

If anyone is still interested in the connection between TAI & Kenpo here is a partial family tree:

James Mitose Hoon Chow
    (KOSHO-RYU KENPO) (SHAOLIN KUNG-FU)
    | |
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    |
    William K.S. Chow
    (Chinese KARA-HO KEMPO)
    |
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    | | | |
    Ed Parker Adriano Emperado Masaichi Oshiro |
    (AMERICAN KENPO) (KAJUKENBO) (TE-KEN JUTSU KAI) |
    | | |
    ----------- ------------------------------ |
    | | | | Nick Cerio
    | Marino Tiwanak John Leone Sid Asuncion (KENPO KARATE)
    | (CHA03 KENPO) (KAJUKENBO) (KENKABO) |
    | | | Fred Villari
    |--Ralph Castro | | (AMERICAN SHAOLIN
    | (SHAOLIN KENPO) | | KEMPO)
    | Bill Ryusaki Al Dacascos
    |--Joe Dimmick (KENPO KARATE) (WON HOP KUEN DO)
    | (SAM-PAI KENPO) | |
    | | Malia Bernal
    |--Steve Sanders | (BODY DEFENSE)
    | (B.K.F KENPO) -------------------
    | | |
    |--Jim & Al Tracy Sonny Gascon Benny Urzuidez
    | (TRACY'S KENPO) (GO-SHIN JUTSU) (UKIDOKAN KARATE)
    |
    |--Tino Tuilosega
    | (LIMA LAMA)
    |
    ---David German
    (T.A.I KARATE)

This is from Stanford Kenpo Karate Club web site.

It is limited but interesting.

I would like to try and put an accurate list together. It would be a project that would require an incredible amount of cooperation

I have the Family Tree put out in one of Master Parker’s last books, but I'm not sure it is ever accurate.

Is it possible in the post Parker world of Kenpo to get that kind of cooperation?

Personally I'm tired of the Korean Schools kicking our ass

Please note that I have studied in two Korean schools but always ended up back at Kenpo - when I moved.

I'd love to hear opinions about this.

Pete

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Sorry the spacing didn't convert and is all messed up.

Here is the address for those that want the corrected version:

http://www-leland.stanford.edu/group...-faq.html#Kata

Pete

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Mr Lear,

To answer everyone’s Question about who bailed on whom. According to Master German it was never a case of anyone bailing on anyone and he never had a falling out with Master Parker. He had a problem with others in the system that did not agree with his incorporation of things he had been exposed to at the budokan.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links