Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lua

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Default Lua

Just kind of curious if anyone here has any experience with Lua? I purchased Olohe Solomon Kaihewalu's book and it has some interesting stuff in it... Just wondering if anyone here has had training in it?

Thanks,

Dan Farmer

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

Default Re: Lua

Well, Danzan Ryu Jujitsu has Lua, but I haven't got that far into the style to learn any of that yet. Can't help you there at this point.

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86
    Just kind of curious if anyone here has any experience with Lua? I purchased Olohe Solomon Kaihewalu's book and it has some interesting stuff in it... Just wondering if anyone here has had training in it?

Thanks,

Dan Farmer
    I have had the opportunity of meeting Olohe Solomon Kaihewalu on a couple of occasions in California. He is a great guy, with loads of martial arts experience.

It is tough to learn from a book. I suggest one of his videos, although I have never personally seen them.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

My instructor incorporates Lua into the Kajukenbo I learn. He only shows us small pieces. My instructor learned it from his father and grandfather. Lua is a devastating art. I have personally felt the pain.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Bill For This Useful Post:

jadewolf3 (12-23-2012)

Thanks

Wild Bill- How was the Lua when combined with Kaju?

Grandmaster Kuoha's father was a Lua man, I am always tempted to ask about it but I would bet that'd make me the "uke".

Lua means "Bone-Breaking" right? I have hear stories about Lua "slaps" and it sounds amazing!

Maybe someone will chime in on the thread...?
    The above is just my opinion.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

We have known Soloman Kaliwalu for about thirty years. We went to some of his Lua seminars and what he was teaching was very deadly. We pretty much don't even show the few techniques he taught us in any open class. Only when our high ranking people are there. Too deadly!! He wanted us to join his group but we were too long into Kenpo and he understood and accepted that. We knew him when we lived in So.Cal and I used to visit his school. He is warm friendly gentleman and we became friends. The techniques in Lua are very deadly and many of them will kill. It is truly a warriors art.

If you ever get a chance to take one of his seminars, take it you will be amazed at his skill and Lua. You will also like him.

Most respectfully,
    Sifuroy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (12-07-2007)

Thanks

We have known Soloman Kaliwalu for about thirty years. We went to some of his Lua seminars and what he was teaching was very deadly. We pretty much don't even show the few techniques he taught us in any open class. Only when our high ranking people are there. Too deadly!! He wanted us to join his group but we were too long into Kenpo and he understood and accepted that. We knew him when we lived in So.Cal and I used to visit his school. He is warm friendly gentleman and we became friends. The techniques in Lua are very deadly and many of them will kill. It is truly a warriors art.

If you ever get a chance to take one of his seminars, take it you will be amazed at his skill and Lua. You will also like him.

Most respectfully,
    Sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Lua

Sigung86...

Sol Kaihewalu both Sr and Jr are very cool people. I've done a few seminars with Sol and it's always a blast. He worked with me years ago, specifically with Snake technique, prior to constructing my Dragon Dance Form. I used to compete against Sol Jr on a semi-regular basis. He's a great guy and the art of Lua is definately something to sample, if given the opportunity. They not only have some incredibly efficient, yet brutal empty hand techniques but some really interesting if somewhat obscure weapons. All very cool.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

EPAK Grandmaster Steve Spry has knowledge of Lua, and several other Hawaiian arts.

Kenpo Gary

Thanks

Dan,

We have worked with Grandmaster Solomon Kaihewalu many times. We were good friends when we lived in Califirnia. Also he has put on some seminars in this area. It is very effective. Also a lot of his materiel we only teach when only upper Belts are in the school. Lua is bone breaking and very lethal. Some of the techniques are brutal. It is very Effective. Master Sol is a
    Great teacher. I too would suggest Videos if you can get them. Hard for me to learn from books,But i'm not too bright. Send me an E-mail if you want to know more.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (12-07-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

actually Lua means bone manipulation it was taught to the royal families only but i could be wrong just my 2 cents

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jadewolf3 View Post
    actually Lua means bone manipulation it was taught to the royal families only but i could be wrong just my 2 cents
    If you're anywhere near the San Francisco Bay area, in September we are having a weekend-long event, with one of the guest intructors being Olohe Kaihewalu. You could stop by, meet the guy, and sample the art.

Sol used to teach limalama, being one of its co-founders. Later, he changed the name of what he taught to Elua Lima; a buddy and training partner of mine was one of his top dogs during this stage of development. Later, Olohe decided to ditch the 2-dollar names, and just call it Lua. www.olohe.com is his site; writes pretty prodigiously about his history and decisions.

Problem with that "royals only" thing in Hawaii, is that pretty much everyone is related. But it sounds cool.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

I have been researching this art. Some pretty cool stuff.

Old black belt mag article...

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/archives/347

Upcoming seminar...

March 19, 2011 (Saturday) (PDF Flyer for event)
    Hawaiian Lua – Ancient Art of Self-Defense
    10am - 4pm
    Open Hand and Weapon Techniques
    Open to the Public and to All Styles are Welcome
    Host: Edward Anthony Bansuelo
    Guest Instructor: 'Ôlohe Kolomona Kaihewalu – Lua Halau O Kaihewalu
    3271 Marysville Blvd.
    Sacramento, California 95815
    Phone: 916-808-6439
    For more information contact:
    Edward A. Bansuelo
    Phone: 916-628-2166
    Email: ebansuelo@hotmail.com
    or
    Call or email 'Ôlohe Solomon Kaihewalu
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HKphooey For This Useful Post:

KenpoMD (03-17-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

did this give anyone else a new perspective on "hands of jade"?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoGhost View Post
    did this give anyone else a new perspective on "hands of jade"?
    Lol!

And squeezing the peach! This is more like sqeezing the pineapple! You definitley do not want to volunteer at one of this guy's seminars!
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HKphooey View Post
    Lol!

And squeezing the peach! This is more like sqeezing the pineapple! You definitley do not want to volunteer at one of this guy's seminars!
    Show this to any student that thinks they don't need to wear a cup!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenporider For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (03-17-2011),KirkS (03-17-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 632 Posts

I wonder how much Lua influenced early Kenpo developement?
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

I met Mr. Kaihewalu at the Ohana in 2009. His seminar was interesting...and I did not envy his uke.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I looked this up too; very interesting stuff.

I found a place in South Dakota that trains it and has seminars, I'll have to try and make the next one.
    Dave Strobel
    Minnesota Kenpo Karate Studio
    www.mnkenpo.com
    Parker / Furuya
    Lineage

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I met Mr. Kaihewalu at the Ohana in 2009. His seminar was interesting...and I did not envy his uke.
    Olohe has a couple-times-a-year gig at the Shinbukan's professors home in the San Jose/Campbell area. Been there a couple times. Actually uked on purpose... I tend to learn a lot more by feeling, than by observing. Scary man. Not dynamic by Kenpo standards... an AK blueblood would be much flashier, faster, have prettier stances, quicker sequencing, etc. But I'll tell ya'... scary man. Places great tensions on multiple joints in his control manipulations... As a chiro with joint damage and tension training, I'm thinking -- as he has me locked up in some ridiculous position with an oversized wooden spork steering into my throat or eyes -- "oh, crap... how many of those joints are going to disarticulate if he accidently sneezes, cuz more than half are ready to come apart about now, anyway?"

Olohe is good people, too. Very nice man. Funny thing... he's getting up there in years. Came out to a test at Doc's. Is leaving the post-test buffet alone, walking through a parking lot in a questionable neighborhood, visibly populated by some rough looking vagrants. Someone not familiar with his aptitude worriedly says, "Is he going to be OK by himslef out there?" I could not help but snicker, and comment something to the effect that some wannabe mugger would accidentally self-select himself for extinction by going after Sol... that he was, in fact, the spookiest and most dangerous thing in the parking lot at that moment.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (03-17-2011),Mac (03-17-2011),nelson (03-17-2011),sigung86 (03-18-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links