Thread: Kenpo Kids

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Kenpo Kids

Testing for red belt (ikkyu) next week. If they make it to class on a regular basis, they can be black by the end of the year.

More Shugyo!

Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo Kids

Are they your kids?

How long have they been training and what age are they?

They are great looking kids, but they look soooo young for black belt.

I am just being honest.

My daughter, Morgan, won't be receiving a junior black belt until she can "hang" with the adult black belts in fighting.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Are they your kids?

How long have they been training and what age are they?

They are great looking kids, but they look soooo young for black belt.

I am just being honest.

My daughter, Morgan, won't be receiving a junior black belt until she can "hang" with the adult black belts in fighting.
    Yes there mine. They have been training 5 years now and are 9 and 11 y/o.

Everyone has different requirements for junior black belt. Sometimes, I still go back and forth on my feelings towards that. They move up to the adult class at 13 or a mature 12 with the consensus of instructors and parents. I don't teach the kids classes; but, do review their stuff at home sometimes.
    More Shugyo!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Junior Black Belts can be a double edged sword. I am of the mind that an adult of any rank is still farher along than a Junior Black Belt. I have seen schools where Children have led warm ups and adults obey blindly, and i have seen Junior Black Belts give adults push ups for doing someething incorrectly. This should not happen. Usually when the parent is in the same school with the children this doesn't happen because the parent has a true grasp of what a Junior Black Belt means.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Junior Black Belts can be a double edged sword. I am of the mind that an adult of any rank is still farher along than a Junior Black Belt. I have seen schools where Children have led warm ups and adults obey blindly, and i have seen Junior Black Belts give adults push ups for doing someething incorrectly. This should not happen. Usually when the parent is in the same school with the children this doesn't happen because the parent has a true grasp of what a Junior Black Belt means.
    Good point.

We have an instructors belt for non-BB adults that help with the childrens class. This shows they have seniority because of age in the children's class.
    More Shugyo!

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    i have to agree with Mr.Broad on this one..

i have seen some schools where there have been kids on the matt that are no older than 7-8 years old..

i have a cousin that lives in PA and is takeing tug-soo-do.. he is about 8 and will be testing for black belt soon... more power to them, but imho this gives kids a false sence of security... just my opinion..

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gixxershane
    i have to agree with Mr.Broad on this one..

i have seen some schools where there have been kids on the matt that are no older than 7-8 years old..

i have a cousin that lives in PA and is takeing tug-soo-do.. he is about 8 and will be testing for black belt soon... more power to them, but imho this gives kids a false sence of security... just my opinion..

hahahah in the post above in the quote part juinor black belt lines up three times on the left... that is funny to me

(small things amuse small minds...lol...)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

That's really cool gakusei. I'm sure you're very proud!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

gakusei, your kids look cool and i am sure they have earned their rank and will likewise earn their BBs. 5 years in the art shows dedication.

Jr BBs and Adult BBs are like comparing apples and volkswagons. i've seen some jrs who have sparred more than some adults at various levels, hit their stances with precision, and can strike with power and control.

i guess what i am saying is the Jr BB should earn rank based on the requirement of the school and be compared to the other kids, just as adults should meet their ranking requirements and compared among other adults.

a kid of any rank should not be doling out pushups to adults for doing something incorrectly... but then again, adults should not be doing that either...

again, salute to your kids.

pete

pete

Thanks

I personally don't believe in the Jr. black belt rank.

They should stay first degree brown until they are at least 16, then, if they know the full curriculum, they can be adult black belts.

We had some Jr. Black belts at our school who later became adults and never ended up learning the full curriculum. But somehow they are still considered black belts.

We have some very capable brown belts who are around 15, but they don't know the full curriculum.

What's the incentive for them to learn the rest of the techniques? They are 'black belts' and perhaps might not feel excited about learning the rest of the orange belt moves.

That said, your kids are adorable. Very strong family resemblance. And I'm sure you are beyond proud.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

We teach the entire curriculum to the kids, but we do not promote them to black. Our principle is, you cannot be a black belt until you can defend yourself against an adult. Right now we have a couple of kids who are green belt, and one who is brown. Given their ages, I think they will be old enough to join the adult class before thy are ready to test for black.

ps - it's Shaolin Kempo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC
    Our principle is, you cannot be a black belt until you can defend yourself against an adult.
    High standard, but I agree with it.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Tough is good but if the kids quits have you helped the kid?
    The hard part is having a balance.
    We keep in the tradition of SGM Parker and do not promote a kid to full black till 16.
    The kid’s curriculum, white through junior black will put them through adult purple level and then they start in the adult program if they are 13 or older.
    I feel that 2 person drills, sets and impromptu attacks help the kids more than tons of techniques.
    I also feel it is important they know the junior black is a kids belt and to help with that ours is a white belt with a black stripe. Confidence is very important but false confidence can get a kid hurt.

To this point I have only 2 kids that are coming close. Both have been with me for 5 years and are very good 2nd brown belts.

Yours in Kenpo,

Mike Guercio, AKKI Westminster, MD.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links