Thread: What is your criteria after black belt?

Thanks

Default What is your criteria after black belt?

One of the things I treasure most about Kara-Ho Kempo is the amount of criteria or "information" that is after black belt. Obviously getting ones Shodan means that we have got a hold on the basics and are ready to learn the good stuff right? A weapon here, a kata there, more techniques or variations of techniques etc. but what about 3rd 4th or 5th degree? Even higher? What do folks learn in (Insert your style here) at the higher belt levels? Is there quite a bit of information at those ranks?

Well, that was one big run-on sentence eh?

Just curious how everything works for you guys/gals-

Take care and have a great night!
    james
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: What is your criteria after black belt?

Our syllabus is designed so that "all" the material is covered by 3rd degree black. I say "all" but you never stop learning...there's always more. I still go back and constanly revisit the material at other belt levels and sometimes discover something "new" there as well..... it's a journey..there is no destination.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

The WKKA system has techniques and forms up to 5th black. Long 6 for 3rd, long 7 for 4th, and long 8 for 5th. There is nothing after 5th it just matters how much time you put into the system after that to get your next degree.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Our material pretty much ends at 2nd black now. Second and Third used to include the extensions for the techs, but now they've stopped teaching the extensions as part of the curriculum and so the techniques end at First and for Second, you just do Forms 5 and 6 (plus all the previous material). Third on, it's just time and energy into the Kenpo system.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Extensions and forms.

Thanks

In our LTKKA system, we have extensions and forms through third black. We have forms 7 & 8 for fourth and fifth and after that, or during, I plan on improving my weapons skills, spend lots of time sparring and learning whatever I missed inbetween.

I want to get much better at lockflow and manipulation and knives and gun attacks, and grappling, and and and. ...... There's a lot of stuff.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Interesting- Thanks for sharing everybody!
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I'm currently learning Form 6 and 8 along with a 2nd staff form for 3rd degree. I really enjoy the techniques of Form 8 with the knives.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

For my system once you reach Shodan that is when the real training begins. Not only do we refine our movements in each of the things that we already know, but also we start analyzing the moves more deeply.

Then to get 4th dan we must have learned to teach it to others in an effective manner and learned to be a teacher of high caliber. Meaning we walk the walk, not just talk the talk. It is a journey to better ourselves and others by this point.

Then 5th degree is given to you when you have "added to the art". I do not mean added a new kata or form. I mean we have been a truly positive influence on the art. Also, by this point you will have not only refined your movements to such a point that simply watching them perform their art is like watching a dance performance, but also that you inspire others with your precision and demeanor.

Ranks of 8th or above are only given to those that have spent a lifetime of study in the art and have personally helped others to become spectacular martial artists as well. You have trained others to a point that your students serve as an inspiration to others. Also, by this time you have done something to improve the system as well as influence it.

For every dan ranking there is a curriculum of things you must learn and improve upon, whether that is your teaching technique, your personal life, your study of the martial arts, or inspiring others to be people of moral character. Not to mention it is when the "advanced" techniques are taught to you because you can now be trusted to ONLY use them when and if they are TRULY necessary. Things that would kill or cripple a person permanently with little or no effort on your part. The "secret" techniques if you will.

Also, in the truly higher ranks there is no time in grade requirements but you are given these ranks when you have finally been deemed to deserve it by all the senior ranks to you.
    Devil Dog Mark
    Hawaiian Kempo & Okinawan Kubudo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Devildogmrk For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (10-13-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links