Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kara-Ho Kempo In 2020

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Kara-Ho Kempo In 2020

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be testing for Advanced White soon, and I really was curious if anyone else here was active and training?

I found my Sensei through the Kara-Ho directory, but not having an actual "class" is making me want to hear about the experiences of others!

I'm training in San Antonio, TX but may be moving back to Milwaukee, WI in the next few years. Not sure if I'll be able to find a Sensei there, so an internet community would be especially nice!

Hope to hear from some of you,
    Ben

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RodOfDestiny For This Useful Post:

KirkS (07-06-2020)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Kara-Ho Kempo In 2020

Testing for a white belt?....jeez

Thanks
    Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,271 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RodOfDestiny View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm going to be testing for Advanced White soon, and I really was curious if anyone else here was active and training?

I found my Sensei through the Kara-Ho directory, but not having an actual "class" is making me want to hear about the experiences of others!

I'm training in San Antonio, TX but may be moving back to Milwaukee, WI in the next few years. Not sure if I'll be able to find a Sensei there, so an internet community would be especially nice!

Hope to hear from some of you,
    Ben
    I don't think there are any current members left with Kara-Ho Kempo experience. If you search through old threads from "Dianshue" he posted quite a bit and studied.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

KirkS (07-08-2020)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Advanced white; it is a similar advancement system to TKD. I imagine that comes from Grandmaster's experience in TKD.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,949 Times in 5,599 Posts

Money grab.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KirkS (07-28-2020)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Not sure what makes it a "money grab". There are a whopping 2 extra belt ranks before black when compared with EPAK.
    Last edited by RodOfDestiny; 07-31-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,949 Times in 5,599 Posts

Exactly.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Well, I made 11th Kyu!

I know im progressing as well as getting healthier, but the kicks and stances are discouraging me a bit. The kicks have more to do with the health of my left foot; i can't pivot on it with all my weight. I'm trying to fix that, but its a slow process (plantar warts). The stances though, some of them are just impossible for me right now; the Scissor Stance and Dragon Stance jump to mind. Im certainly not giving up, but these problems are taking away from my enjoyment of it a little bit.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Well, I made 11th Kyu!

I know im progressing as well as getting healthier, but the kicks and stances are discouraging me a bit. The kicks have more to do with the health of my left foot; i can't pivot on it with all my weight. I'm trying to fix that, but its a slow process (plantar warts). The stances though, some of them are just impossible for me right now; the Scissor Stance and Dragon Stance jump to mind. Im certainly not giving up, but these problems are taking away from my enjoyment of it a little bit.
    Congratulations! Today 11th kyu, tomorrow 11th Dan... 😁

More seriously, just enjoy the journey. We all have things that limit us in one way or another. That just makes success that much sweeter when you achieve it.
    Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KenpoMD For This Useful Post:

KirkS (08-20-2020),RodOfDestiny (08-23-2020)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Things have been going well! My left foot is getting healthier, though it is still bothering me and interfering slightly. But, I am still progressing, getting healthier, and learning! I know about 2/3 of the criteria to advance to 10th Kyu (Yellow) but will still need some time to be test-worthy.

I really wish there were more practitioners to talk to; I'm the kind of person who devours information once i start a topic of interest. Until then, I'll be here. Lol

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

After this week's class, I know "know" all the material to test for Yellow Belt (10th Kyu)!!! Now it's a matter of getting to a test-worthy level of proficiency, which i look forward to.

This is a big accomplishment for me; this is the first time in 3 martial arts where I will actually test for Yellow!! In TKD and Shotokan I aced the pre-tests, making the final a formality. However, I left both arts before doing so.

My left foot is finally usable, especially in my practice shoes, but my already poor balance is just plain abysmal on that side now. My kicking is still horrific any time I have to twist on 1 leg; I would be lying if I said I didn't question my choice without at least checking out Kenpo 5.0. But my Sensei is just incredible, and my wife and I are becoming close with his whole family. Not only that, but I am studying the last work of a man like Professor Chow; this isn't an opportunity available in many places.

I'm not giving up!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RodOfDestiny For This Useful Post:

KirkS (4 Weeks Ago),punisher73 (4 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

After this week's class, I know "know" all the material to test for Yellow Belt (10th Kyu)!!! Now it's a matter of getting to a test-worthy level of proficiency, which i look forward to.

This is a big accomplishment for me; this is the first time in 3 martial arts where I will actually test for Yellow!! In TKD and Shotokan I aced the pre-tests, making the final a formality. However, I left both arts before doing so.

My left foot is finally usable, especially in my practice shoes, but my already poor balance is just plain abysmal on that side now. My kicking is still horrific any time I have to twist on 1 leg; I would be lying if I said I didn't question my choice without at least checking out Kenpo 5.0. But my Sensei is just incredible, and my wife and I are becoming close with his whole family. Not only that, but I am studying the last work of a man like Professor Chow; this isn't an opportunity available in many places.

I'm not giving up!
    Great to hear!

When you start to learning the "lines" let me know how you like them.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

KirkS (4 Weeks Ago)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    Great to hear!

When you start to learning the "lines" let me know how you like them.
    Punisher, are you in our system? I did learn Line Works 1&2 for 11th Kyu, but there are more I know I won't learn for a few belt levels. I enjoy the line works, but I still suck at kicking in the Kara-Ho Way. Lol

Thanks

Punisher, are you in our system? I did learn Line Works 1&2 for 11th Kyu, but there are more I know I won't learn for a few belt levels. I enjoy the line works, but I still suck at kicking in the Kara-Ho Way. Lol
    No, just always been interested in Prof. Chow's work and have talked with others that have studied Kara-Ho

21. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

KirkS (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 634 Posts

No, just always been interested in Prof. Chow's work and have talked with others that have studied Kara-Ho
    same here..ive always been interested in Chows work
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

23. The Following User Says Thank You to KirkS For This Useful Post:

punisher73 (3 Weeks Ago)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Very cool. I keep hoping I can find more practitioners to talk to, but until then I keep chugging along, lol. If I practice a lot this week and show the kind of improvement I did last week, I'll be ready to test for 10th Kyu. I'm REALLY excited for that!!!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Hi there Rod of Destiny,

What is peculiar about kicking in the Kara-Ho way?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    Hi there Rod of Destiny,

What is peculiar about kicking in the Kara-Ho way?
    Hey there,

Its not particularly odd, I think it's the same way kicking is done in TKD (And I think Grandmaster is a BB in TKD, but don't quote me on that). The best way I can describe it, is that a front kick, side kick, and roundhouse all start out looking the same.

Every kick starts out looking like a front kick where you raise your kicking leg with knee folded, but after that (for a roundhouse or side kick) there is a quick pivot on the ball of your planted foot to execute the kick, then you fold and pivot back to your starting "front kick" position.

It just takes a lot more balance than comes easy to me. I've gotten better but it's tough.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to RodOfDestiny For This Useful Post:

Star Dragon (2 Weeks Ago)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Well, going into class yesterday I REALLY thought I wouldn't be testing for 10th Kyu (Yellow) until atleast end of November, prolly December. But I've been working harder like when I started, and Sensei asked if I felt ready to test next class!!!

I'm pretty nervous, the criteria is building, the standards a bit higher, and more memory & instinct involved. Very excited, all I can do is try to be prepared!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to RodOfDestiny For This Useful Post:

KirkS (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 634 Posts

You will be fine..you'll do it
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links