Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kara-Ho Kempo In 2020

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Kara-Ho Kempo In 2020

Hey everyone!

My class/test was on Saturday (21st) and I PASSED!!! I wish I could say I aced it, but in reality he made sure I knew that the standards only get higher now; I just barely passed. Tells me I need to put more work in, but im still excited, lol!

10th Kyu now, but of course won't be official until I have a certificate. Going to be learning my first full kata for this belt. Seems daunting.

Also narrowing choices for my first good Gi!!! I cant stand the cheap polycotton one I started with anymore. Think I have it down to 2 brands in my price range: a Juka 10oz Bronze Gi or the Ed Parker Signature Kenpo 14oz Uniform. The latter looks really well thought-out, but the fabric is a bit heavy and idk if I want the elastic waistband anymore. Legs/arms are also shorter on the Juka, which I've wanted...

But the Parker gots POCKETS! Lol, tough decision

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RodOfDestiny View Post
    Hey everyone!

My class/test was on Saturday (21st) and I PASSED!!! I wish I could say I aced it, but in reality he made sure I knew that the standards only get higher now; I just barely passed. Tells me I need to put more work in, but im still excited, lol!

10th Kyu now, but of course won't be official until I have a certificate. Going to be learning my first full kata for this belt. Seems daunting.

Also narrowing choices for my first good Gi!!! I cant stand the cheap polycotton one I started with anymore. Think I have it down to 2 brands in my price range: a Juka 10oz Bronze Gi or the Ed Parker Signature Kenpo 14oz Uniform. The latter looks really well thought-out, but the fabric is a bit heavy and idk if I want the elastic waistband anymore. Legs/arms are also shorter on the Juka, which I've wanted...

But the Parker gots POCKETS! Lol, tough decision
    Congratluations! I think it counts even without the certificate 🙂. Both the Juka and the Parker Uniform are good, but they are cut very differently. Juka has the shorter sleeves and pants but also a longer skirt. At the end of the day, either should work fine if you get the proper size.

Good luck on your journey!
    Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoMD For This Useful Post:

RodOfDestiny (11-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,278 Posts

Different gis will fit each person differently. What one person may love another might not like the feel of at all.

Shureido makes a very nice karate gi. Here is a link to their "middleweight" cotton gi.

https://www.shureidousa.com/gi/kw11kb11.html
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,278 Posts

Sorry...forgot to add "Congratulations"! in my previous post.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    Different gis will fit each person differently. What one person may love another might not like the feel of at all.

Shureido makes a very nice karate gi. Here is a link to their "middleweight" cotton gi.

https://www.shureidousa.com/gi/kw11kb11.html
    Thank you sir!

I started out with a list of Seishin, Juka, Century, Shureido, 2 Tokaidos, and the EP Sig. Uni. Eventually I got it narrowed down to the Juke Bronze 10oz (Blk) or the Ed Parker Uniform, I was hoping to keep it under $150 but eventually I'd LOVE to get a Seishin or Tokaido Kongo.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure I've settled on the Juka Bronze unless something changes my mind between now and my Birthday next month.

I really have been torn between the 2, the Ed Parker Gi has a lot of good recommendations and is both well-built and affordable. But, I'm not a big fan of the "American Cut" Gi and 14oz is a bit heavier than I'd like to go. I heat up easily and train in Texas, need my Gi to absorb sweat but not cause it. Lol

I think the Juka being cotton as well, but at just 10oz, should work well. The "Tournament Cut" is much closer to the Okinawan style that i love, and the shorter/wider legs and sleeves should help a lot with cooling. The higher waist with just a drawstring (again, similar to Okinawan) makes kicking, i think, a bit easier and doesn't chafe the waist.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RodOfDestiny For This Useful Post:

punisher73 (11-25-2020)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I have worn both at different times and they are both good uniforms and great values IMO. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way. And, again, CONGRATULATIONS!
    Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KenpoMD For This Useful Post:

KirkS (11-24-2020),RodOfDestiny (11-24-2020)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you everyone for your support!!!

My Juka Bronze Gi arrived on Sunday. Wow! What a difference from the "KarateMart" 7oz Poly/cotton uniform i started with; it actually makes me want to train just to wear it, lol. It is a bit warmer than the 7oz but it's also a very breezy and an open weave.

I really enjoy it so far!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RodOfDestiny For This Useful Post:

KirkS (12-08-2020),punisher73 (12-08-2020)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I'm sorry it has been so long since my last post!

I did not leave; I've stuck with my training in Kara-Ho Kempo and will be testing for my Advanced Yellow Belt likely by the end of July.

Unfortunately the last 6+ months I was dealing with symptoms that were really hindering my progress; lethargy, no ambition, weakness, poor memory, low stamina, etc. After a lot of guesses and hoop-jumping, it was discovered a paternal genetic issue has caused my body to largely stop producing Testosteron; I am now on supplements and most have that has diminished or stopped.

I feel like I can finally move forward! But I still am having my own personal issues with the art, if it wasn't for my incredible Sensei, I know I woulda switched to trying Kenpo 5.0 or maybe EPAKKS a long time ago. I did just locate a gym/dojo or 2 here in San Antonio, Texas that claim to offer classes In "Catch-As-Catch-Can" Wrestling and I REALLY want to try it! Unfortunately, I just got a second job so free-time is at a premium...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RodOfDestiny For This Useful Post:

KirkS (07-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 641 Posts

Congratulations on the testing
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Re-reading my last post I realized I may have given the impression that I didn't like Kara-Ho. There are things I'm not good at AND don't enjoy (kicking/light acrobatics). But, I know that doing them will improve my art and my health. What i meant to portray was my curiosity about other arts as well. Suddenly I have access to several arts I'm curious about and if it weren't for the connection with my sensei and his family, I very well may have left temporarily to try Kempo 5.0, Catch Wrestling, Robert Trias' Shuri-Ryu, or even revisited my Shotokan roots. Really getting into MA in my 30s with iffy health has kind of given me a sense of urgency I have to work on quieting.

I may very well still do that. Just talking about it gives excitement. But for now I have to Stay The Course

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RodOfDestiny For This Useful Post:

KirkS (07-12-2021),punisher73 (07-19-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links