Thread: Tum Pai

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Tum Pai

Hi there,

Are any of you involved with Tum Pai?

I know but little about this style of Kajukenbo. I understand that it incorporates Taiji methods, however. Which is very intriguing to me because I am in pursuit of a parallel approach in my study of Ed Parker Kenpo Karate.

Regular KT readers may be aware that I have already written a number of posts on this topic. To summarize, I found some evidence that the late Mr. Parker incorporated certain Taiji principles into his personal expression of the art. And some of his seniors obviously followed him in that (regardless of whether they are aware of the origin of those methods or not).

So I took up a combative form of Yang style Taiji myself in order to explore and work out its potential connections to EPKK in my own way. It would be interesting to compare notes with other practitioners of any of the Kenpo arts that are on a similar path.

I have been trying to learn more about Tum Pai for a number of years by now. Alas, I am geographically out of reach of any of the studios that teach it. Nor did I find any books or videos that would offer some insight.

So if you have any knowledge about Tum Pai, or if you have any materials that you are ready to share or refer me to, I would love to hear from you! Be free to PM me, if that seems more appropriate.

Other than that, I would enjoy a discussion of Tum Pai in this thread, and especially on how it relates to Taiji.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Tum Pai

Hi Star Dragon,

I have been studying kenpo for roughly 19 years now and for the past 4 years been learning the Ed parkers system. I also have been studying Yang style Tai Chi for the past 5 years as well and have been applying/comparing the principles of both and incorporating them into each other. definitely like the soft power that one can generate from the tai chi. I personal believe that the principles are the same in both systems just the terminology is what is going on in the body that confuses people.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to swhitney222 For This Useful Post:

Star Dragon (05-05-2018)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Hi swhitney222,

That's interesting, thanks for sharing.

I agree that the principles in both arts are the same - essentially. E.g., when once I was told by a fellow Kenpoist that he had looked into Taiji's fajing power generation method, but found it incompatible with the Kenpo way, my reply was that fajing, the way I was taught it, was actually the epitome of the application of torque, back-up mass and marriage of gravity!

That said, Taiji teaches you a lot of subtleties to optimize your body mechanics - which takes time to learn, to be sure. It has a sophistication that Kenpo training usually lacks. So you can be effective in Kenpo (especially against an untrained opponent) long before you would be a decent Taiji fighter. By the same token, the way you are taught to move in your average Kenpo class is rather basic, by comparison.

I wonder, how did your Kenpo benefit your Taiji?

BTW, I am still hoping for some Tum Pai practitioners to join this discussion.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hi Star Dragon,

because I have been doing kenpo a lot longer than Tai Chi I look at the motion in a more mathematical and practical applications.

I tend to take a more direct linear approach and make my circular motion smaller for better practical application. my past instructor did not focus on proper power principles and structure and gave me a few bad habits but since I began training under a new instructor about 4 years ago in the Ed parkers system my structure in my kenpo has improved which also improved my structure in my Tai Chi and vise versa. I do try to take what my tai chi instructor talks about and try to relate it into a kenpo format for me to better understand it.

I would have to say that now I have proper instruction in both arts they improve each other as far as making me a better martial artist. I believe that it is not what move you are doing such as a block, punch, kick etc but how your body delivers said move. all muscle or all body.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swhitney222 For This Useful Post:

nelson (05-08-2018),Star Dragon (05-08-2018)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links