Thread: Some thoughts on the two kinds of fights, and some rambling

Thanks

Default Some thoughts on the two kinds of fights, and some rambling

I wanted to run this by some of you more experienced martial artists here on the forum. It would seem to me that there are two kinds of fighting that is in a real life situation anyway. I am of a mind that you have type 1, A Self Defense fight this fight would be one to eight seconds long. If on the street and some one were to come up and attack with any kind of first attack be it a kick, punch, choke what ever the case may be. If this person were to engage you, the one to eight seconds that happen next you have to access what the attack is defend against and perform your tech and stop the attacker. If you fail to disable the attacker in that short time frame and are unable to injure or bring some degree of pain to the attacker then the fight would tend to become more of a type 2 fight. In this type of fight any thing after the initial retaliation it would tend to become a kickboxing fight. This would be more liken to sparing but much more dangerous as the stakes are pretty high.

I may be way off base with this thinking but in class we learn a lot of techniques against a wide variety of attacks. All of these are geared to injure or even kill if all goes well and you are able to land every strike. Granted I have a limited experience in Kenpo, but I have had my share of fights outside the ring. Most fights that I have been in or seen donít really start with someone just attacking out of nowhere. They usually run their mouth and I guess build up courage to throw a punch. And most of the time this punch is not well thought out and is pretty sloppy. And as such anyone with some training can most of the time block this punch and set up a return strike. But at that point it turns into a type 2 fight and the kickboxing begins.

I know as my knowledge of Kenpo grows and my skill improves over time I will stand a much better chance of staying in the type one style of self defense and not find myself evolved in a street kick boxing match. Let me also say that I am not implying in any way that I ever start fights or look for trouble. I tend to do every thing I can to avoid a confrontation but I have a few ghosts from my past that show up every now and then. I was proud of one situation that happened a few weeks ago. I was at store just looking at things, then out of nowhere I was face to face with some one that I havenít seen or thought of since high school. That was a lifetime ago, but this guy was a bully back then and picked on me and just about every one on the bus. He of course was bigger and mean as a snake.

To make a long story short, I had on my school shirt on that said Kenpo karate on the front and of course that tweaked this guy for some reason. He recognized me and I never will forget him. The funny thing was it brought me right back to my high school days but this time I had no fear of him. Part of me wished he would have just threw a punch right then and their so could have gotten revenge. But I know that is not right so I just turned and walked to sporting goods dept. Well he and his two friends that were with him followed me around the store then just decided to leave with out a confrontation. But I have to admit I went to the sporting goods area to grab an aluminum bat incase things when South. But my point being I walked away.

I also wanted to note that in talking about the two kinds of fights I didnít mean and in no way wanted to imply that I have anything but respect for Kenpo. I am hopelessly addicted and look foreword to growing in this style as I put in more time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Some thoughts on the two kinds of fights, and some rambling

I like the way you catagorized the types of confrontation/fighting. Quite insightful IMHO. I believe you are correct, but maybe should view it as two different stages of fighing.

In terms of self-defense, you really don't want it to progress to stage 2 (or even the first stage if you can avoid it, back to that later.) When and if attacked, you want to end it quickly for several reasons. The longer the conflict goes the more chances your attacker has to hurt you. As techniques help prepare you to dispose of an attacker quickly, sparring can help you prepare for if the conflict escelates to stage 2.

If you engage with an attacker for to long, you give any allies they have an opprtunity to attack you unhindered as well (in laymans terms..his buddies may jump you!)

You also use up energy with every effort and regardless of skill fatique always wins, and you don't want to find yourself gassed out still facing one or more opponents.

For these reasons you should practice, practice, practice. Through repetition you build muscle memory which enables you to react spontaneously to an attack without concious effort in affect saving you valuable time! Basically, the goal is to reach the spontaneous stage of developement in your Kenpo training at each level. One of my favorite sayings is "If you have to think about a technique, then you haven't practiced it enough."

Great "environmental awareness" as well. Kudos to you! Making your way to the sporting goods department was good thinking. I've always thought that the small T-Ball aluminum bats would make awesome escrima! LOL.

But even bigger kudos for walking away. SGM Ed Parker defined the attitude of the Dragon as the ultimate goal of Kenpo. (See Infinite Insights into Kenpo- Mental Stimulations Vol. 1)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Some thoughts on the two kinds of fights, and some rambling

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    I also wanted to note that in talking about the two kinds of fights I didn’t mean and in no way wanted to imply that I have anything but respect for Kenpo. I am hopelessly addicted and look foreword to growing in this style as I put in more time.
    No 2004hemi, you didn't come across that way - at least not to me. I applaud you for thinking about fighting scenarios based on your own experience (not to mention using your "environmental awareness"); IMO, that's part of the journey - learning some new things which raise questions, finding some answers from your instructor (or other Kenpoists) &/or finding some on your own, which in turn can raise more questions. I like your observation about the 2 different types of fighting, but I also like Celtic Grappler's classification of them as 2 different stages of fighting.

Keep on using the "gray matter"--that's why it's on the Kenpo patch.

Oss,
    Gin-Gin
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links